-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Maven looks good in general, but a negative Amazon review got me to check the specs on the Maven site. Turns out the ER is pretty tight, which might not be a deal-breaker for all, but should be considered. The durability and mechanicals aren’t well established, so I’d consider one of these an “experiment”.

Count me with the Fullfield II (and E1) bunch, and definitely the Accupoint fans. Still, if I had a 2.5-8 Leupy that was working well, I probably would ride with it for now and spend the money on booze and dancing girls….

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TRexF16
You just described the Burris FF II 3-9x40
Read the things Mr. Barsness has to say about them in the latest Rifle Looney News. They are wonderful scopes.

Burris 3-9X FF II for the win. I have two scope brands on my guns, Burris & Swarovski

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Looking for suggestions for a lightweight (12 oz or less), basic hunting scope around 3-9x. Capped turrets, fairly simple reticle, etc.

I have a 2.5-8x36 VX3 that I may use but wondering if there's something else I should consider. Would actually like something 2-10 if there's a lightweight option out there.

As per usual, I will suggest the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex reticle. Even though I don't know what distances you intend to shoot, the ballistic plex works very well (when used right) out to 500 yards with most standard cartridges. It's a very simple, yet very effective system. I have them on most of my "hunting" rifles, and trust them. Have been using them since around 1998. It does take a while to get used to the whole eyepiece turning when adjusting the power ring though. So beware of that. Also, because the whole eyepiece moves, that means you can't use a flip up scope cap, like a buttler creek on the ocular/eye piece end of the scope. That is not a huge deal, but also something that needs to be mentioned. As for the VX3, you can use it, but I don't trust them. I've had some fail (CDS models), and had to send them back to Beaverton for repair. However, if you are not twisting the turret much, it will probably be alright.

Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by robthom
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

eBay = Swarovski Habicht A or AV 3-9x36

Don't know what the OP considers "affordable," but the Z3 3-9x36 goes for around $800. In my experience most Americans who ask about affordable scopes consider around $500 maximum, and less is better.

I would not recommend a used Habicht A or AV, as had some bad mechanical luck with them, plus the turrets aren't sealed against moisture.

In my experience the Burris FFII and Vortex are good to go. The only way they don't quite meet snowboardguy's criteria is they weigh around 13 ounces.

What vortex?

Was about to ask the same question. Been leery of the cheaper vortex’s

I'd be very leery of the cheaper Vortex rifle scopes. I've seen many that had to be sent back. Even a $1,500.00 Razor HD LHT that had to be sent back very recently by one of my buddies. Their tracking can be very sluggish, especially the horizontal/windage adjustments. You adjust it, and it doesn't move until you fire a couple shots. Thus affecting your zero and POI. My buddy in Oregon had to send a 2-10x40 HD back last year for the same problem. He said it mainly did it when it was "cold outside", but I saw it having issues when it was in the 70's as well. I believe that was a $6-700.00 scope, when my buddy bought it. According to what he told me. So not exactly a "cheaper" Vortex, but one I'd stay away from. He's also had issues with the first gen Viper PST as well.

Originally Posted by LSU fan
Only have 1 FFII but my 7 year old can turn it with one hand….

I have quite a few of them and most recently put one on my girlgriends 243. She has small hands, and can turn the magnification ring/eyepiece with no issues. They are stiff, but not that difficult. If it was, she would have told me about it. Some guys complain about the short eye relief of the FFII as well, but I've used them on my 300WBY's, 338wm's and 9.3x62mm, with no issues.

They are an excellent scope, but some guys have issue with them because they can't believe such a low priced scope can work so well. The first one I bought, back in '98 cost me $175.00 and it was on a 300 win mag for years. That scope was used to test other rifles, and ended up being on 10 different rifles, before I retired it to my 1956 30-06 featherweight. That scope is still going strong and still a trusted and proven scope that I'd take and use anywhere.

You aren't wrong about cost.
Quality is one thing, cost another.
Not sure if it the fact that cost and quality are linked, or snob factor,
many folks like to spend money. If you watch people, it's hilarious.
Everyone bitches about crowds, things being expensive,
but huge amounts of folks actually love crowds and buy thing because they are
expensive(even if there are better and cheaper options)

Great point^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That Maven looks good in general, but a negative Amazon review got me to check the specs on the Maven site. Turns out the ER is pretty tight, which might not be a deal-breaker for all, but should be considered. The durability and mechanicals aren’t well established, so I’d consider one of these an “experiment”.

Count me with the Fullfield II (and E1) bunch, and definitely the Accupoint fans. Still, if I had a 2.5-8 Leupy that was working well, I probably would ride with it for now and spend the money on booze and dancing girls….
Exactly the issue that I just discovered. 2.4" is a joke. No clue why they would build a scope like that

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Looking for suggestions for a lightweight (12 oz or less), basic hunting scope around 3-9x. Capped turrets, fairly simple reticle, etc.

I have a 2.5-8x36 VX3 that I may use but wondering if there's something else I should consider. Would actually like something 2-10 if there's a lightweight option out there.

These guys are steering you in the right direction. If you want an excuse not to use the Leupold and buy a new toy, I was recently comparing a few 2-7's side by side at dusk to see which was the best in low light. I found that one of the big factors was the wire crosshair in the Leupold (Maven's wire, too, though I didn't test a Maven) not showing up nearly as well as the etched glass reticle in the Burris FF II. If I were you, I'd go with the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 if you want to spend the money or the FF II if you'd rather get a wicked deal. I don't have a Trijicon but, based on the specs and the way the folks around here talk about them, I want one. And, they're illuminated which is a game changer for these non-young man eyes.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The original Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 that was made by Meopta and sold under 2-3 different names is my all-time favorite scope. The Zeiss and Meopta branded scopes initially sold for around $500-$550. Cabela's carried them for a while as the Instinct scope, but when they discontinued them, they sold for around $250. I ended up with 4 of them. One with Zeiss badging, the other 3 with Cabela's. Those turn up occasionally and I'd highly recommend them.

The Burris FF-II is my 2nd favorite scope. A 3-9X40 is currently around $160 in most places. Normally I'd be skeptical of something that cheap, but IMO that is a better scope than any Leupold VX3 or lower and selling for $500. I have no experience with the high end Leupold's.

Both of those are around 13 or 15 oz. A little over your weight requirement, but worth the few ounces IMO.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have reached out to Leupold and plan on sending the 3-9x33 in after season is done to see if they can do something about the power ring.

Will probably re-asses after that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read the things Mr. Barsness has to say about them in the latest Rifle Looney News. They are wonderful scopes.

Dang it! It seems like my RLN subscription has expired. Did JB mention anything about the FFII being discontinued or similarity to the Droptine?

Jason

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Dang it! It seems like my RLN subscription has expired. Did JB mention anything about the FFII being discontinued or similarity to the Droptine?

Jason

FFII is discontinued for about a year now.

Droptine is said to be similar, separate zoom and focus rings, cheaper, but made in China.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum

Jason

Droptine is said to be similar, separate zoom and focus rings, cheaper, but made in China.
It's been stated here previously that the Droptine is made in Philippines like the FullField II was.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like the Burris FFII 3x9 BP, use them alot. I have had them on hard kickers, hard kickers with efficient muzzlebrakes also, and they have always held up. I sold my last one on a rifle to a local guy, I got the best price this way, it was right before elk season! I just bought another for a spare...going to put it on my little Wby ULWT 338-06, its also braked. Burris must have made a gazillion of them as I just bought mine new off Amazon (thanks for the link Pard!)

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have reached out to Leupold and plan on sending the 3-9x33 in after season is done to see if they can do something about the power ring.

Will probably re-asses after that.

I just sent in my new Leupold 2.5x8 for an internal gasket or something thats sticking out into the FOV. My current 3.5x10 is a repair, solid as a rock now, dials right in, so maybe they are "better" after the repair? ha

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I like the Burris FFII 3x9 BP, use them alot. I have had them on hard kickers, hard kickers with efficient muzzlebrakes also, and they have always held up. I sold my last one on a rifle to a local guy, I got the best price this way, it was right before elk season! I just bought another for a spare...going to put it on my little Wby ULWT 338-06, its also braked. Burris must have made a gazillion of them as I just bought mine new off Amazon (thanks for the link Pard!)

Better buy them while you can. When they are out, the prices are going to go up.. Check out what the American made FFII's are selling for right now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks but Droptine is not made in China. Where did you get that?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I haven't tried an Accupoint yet just because I'm a tight azz... A buddy has one and really likes it.

My 'go-to' for the scope you're asking about is the Leupold VX-II (with or without dots). You can find them pretty regular for $200-$250. I think I have 3 or 4 of them on rifles now. Yes, the power ring on a couple are stiff, but I leave it at 4x so no big deal.

Another option to look at are the Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200.

He went over yonder way
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Jason

While discontinued, they are still available through Amazon. At the ridiculous price of $160. 4.5-14 at slightly more.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fullfield-Hunting-Ballistic-Reticle/dp/B000MM2QSK?th=1

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Here, I thought!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Here, I thought!

That is not correct. Droptines are made in the Philippines.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hawke Vantage, or. Burris Droptine

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-3-9x40-3030.html

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Here, I thought!

That is not correct. Droptines are made in the Philippines.

I stand corrected. And I am glad they are still made in the P.I.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.