Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Thanks dassa. Sure wish they gave more details and documentation than just a number in the whole Grizzly column. I'm skeptical by nature so it's hard for me to believe. Especially in the age of the internet where fantastic tales are frequently disproven as b.s. Not saying the MT FWP is lying, just that my guard is up after seeing too many doctored photos and false news stories from the interwebs.

1100 lbs. isn't out of the realm of possibility though, so I guess it could be true.

You might want to read how big game weight records are accepted by the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department:

"This section provides a listing of some of the largest weights on record for the various Montana big game species. As such, the standards require verification and the use of a certified scale. Whole weight is either from a live animal or a dead and uncut animal; dressed weight is an animal with head, skin and feet attached and the complete viscera removed.

Future records should include sex, date killed, location taken, hunter name, and observer names for the scale weight."

All of this is right there on the MT FWP website, next to the list of heaviest weights.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Salmonella - Your mounts are truly impressive, and I congratulate you on them, but it looks like you may owe John and apology.
I personally like knowing there have been 1000 pound griz in the lower 48.

Just sayin'
Rex
He makes stupid statements regularly. An apology? LOL

God, you're an as shole...
Do you even do anything but post stupid remarks on the internet?

Lmao. You’re a clown dude

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SDH
A big Griz I photographer in Tom Miner Basin, north of YNP fall 2022. It is about 35 yards away. He was digging up and crunching ground squirrels, I was on foot, out of the truck, but in retrospect, I won't do that again.He never knew I was there. You could hear the crunches when he found one~~
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Jesus. That would get your attention.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by WhiteFawn
If the link works here is the 830 pound Lincoln, MT grizzly road killed a few years ago. https://crownofthecontinent.net/ent...ana/ea4d811b-408f-480c-9f2b-a12a644efca4

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Around 20 years ago a boar grizzly was snared and tranquilized by biologists along the Rocky Mountain Front, west of Great Falls. The portable scale the biologists had only went up to 800 pounds, and the bear bottomed it out--and that was in the spring, when he was not long out of his winter den. He would have weighed considerably more in the fall, possibly 1000+.

No Grizzly on the lower 48 has ever weighed 1,000 lbs.

EVER.
Did we ever get this dispute resolved?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Salmonella - Your mounts are truly impressive, and I congratulate you on them, but it looks like you may owe John and apology.
I personally like knowing there have been 1000 pound griz in the lower 48.

Just sayin'
Rex
He makes stupid statements regularly. An apology? LOL

God, you're an as shole...
Do you even do anything but post stupid remarks on the internet?

Lmao. You’re a clown dude

If Sal is a clown.... you are an idiot.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the link works here is the 830 pound Lincoln, MT grizzly road killed a few years ago. https://crownofthecontinent.net/ent...ana/ea4d811b-408f-480c-9f2b-a12a644efca4

This bear was killed West of Lincoln and called the Blackfoot river drainage home.... same area the lady bike rider was drug from a tent a mauled a couple years ago... it has become a grizzly hot spot lately. I was stopped along the creek one day having lunch and a rancher pulled up and said a few hours earlier a sow with cubs was seen in the exact spot I was standing.
It added a new dimension to my lunch break for sure. The bears seem to love the brushy creek bottoms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bears seem to love the brushy creek bottoms.

Note to self: Don't stop and eat lunch in brushy creek bottoms.

Last edited by SupFoo; 11/28/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SupFoo
The bears seem to love the brushy creek bottoms.

Note to self: Don't stop and eat lunch in brushy creek bottoms.

It was a rookie mistake and the rancher was there to warn me... lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to read how big game weight records are accepted by the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department:

"This section provides a listing of some of the largest weights on record for the various Montana big game species. As such, the standards require verification and the use of a certified scale. Whole weight is either from a live animal or a dead and uncut animal; dressed weight is an animal with head, skin and feet attached and the complete viscera removed.

Future records should include sex, date killed, location taken, hunter name, and observer names for the scale weight."

All of this is right there on the MT FWP website, next to the list of heaviest weights.

I do believe MT records only include score/date/location/(hunter/owner).

Fish go by weight, seldom are big game species killed in a location where they can be transported to a certified scale intact.

https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/reports/trophyRecordsSearch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting and related 2016 story c/p from the Great Fals Tribune

Famous Grizzlies of Montana

Scarface

Scarface, or No. 211 as researchers called him, was a 25-year-old icon in Yellowstone National Park. His nickname, which came from extensive scarring on the right side of his head, was well known in Yellowstone by biologists and photographers.

First collared after being captured when he was 3, he was recaptured 16 times. In his prime, he weighed about 600 pounds, about as big as they get in Yellowstone, according to Kerry Gunther, bear management biologist in Yellowstone.

He was shot and killed in late November 2015 north of Gardiner. The incident is still under investigation.

Most grizzlies in the Yellowstone ecosystem die at an average age of 11. When last captured in 2015, the aging Scarface weighed in at only 338. Fewer than 5 percent of male bears born in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem survive to 25 years.

Loma bear

The Loma Bear reminded 21st Century Montanans that grizzlies once occupied the state’s prairies.

On June 30, 2009, the grizzly that traveled 177 miles, as the Teton River flows, from the Rocky Mountain Front to Loma, was captured on a Marias River farm, a mile and a half from the Missouri River, where explorers Lewis and Clark chronicled run-ins with fearsome prairie bears as they passed through in the early 1800s.

It was the first time that Montana bear managers had seen a bear that far east of the Rocky Mount Front.

The bear was relocated to the Flathead National Forest, west of the Continental Divide, but the Loma Bear, as it became known, preferred the plains.

In August 2009, a biologist picked up a signal from the bear’s radio collar. The bear had crossed the Divide, coming out of the mountains near East Glacier. The bear was northeast of Browning, in open grassland, and headed toward Alberta.

That’s the last time authorities knew where the bear was until it showed up again in Chouteau County on July 12, 2010. When it was trapped, the radio collar was no longer on its neck.

The bear was euthanized after it killed chickens, the second time it had fed on domestic animals.

Gertie the Grizzly

One of the best-remembered and most photographed bears in Glacier history was Gertie, a honey-colored grizzly that used to beg morsels from tourists below the Garden Wall on Going-to-the Sun Road during the 1940s. She learned to sit on her haunches and beg, as traffic passed on either side. Gertie was the epitome of the cute bum bear, a Yogi prototype, and her photo appeared in many publications, including National Geographic. When Gertie had cubs, she would bring them along and they quickly learned the benefits of the mooching routine. Gertie’s begging days came to an end in 1949 after several minor biting and scratching incidents. Despite being the photogenic host of the park, she was trapped and moved, returning once before being trapped and moved again — never to return.

Lincoln bear

The Lincoln Ranger District is home to the mount of one of Montana’s most famous grizzlies, which at 12 years old was struck and killed by a truck in October of 2007.

The grizzly weighed 830 pounds — among the biggest bears ever documented in the continental United States. That’s about 250 pounds heavier than the average adult male grizzly in the lower 48.

The bear began its life east of the Divide, on the Rocky Mountain Front near Choteau. It traveled the Blackfoot River Valley, including the Lincoln area, since at least 2004.

The bear was hit by a vehicle once before the fatal collision, and also survived being shot.

Geifer Creek bear

The Geifer Creek grizzly is one of Montana’s most mischievous grizzlies. From 1975 to 1977, the bear damaged dozens of homes and cabins in the Middle Fork and North Fork of the Flathead.

On hot pursuit by wildlife officials armed with snares, steel traps, tranquilizer guns and scoped rifles, they would always arrive too late to the scene of the crime — only to find a window or door pushed in and a huge mess in the cabin.

He was eventually killed by a hunter in Canada.

Ethyl

She was quite the sightseer in her older years.

Ethyl, a 20-year-old sow, logged 2,800 miles in fewer than three years, crossing interstate highways, and major city boundaries, including residential backyards — and never got into any trouble with humans.

In her early years, Ethyl hung around Lake Blaine, between Bigfork and the Swan Mountains. After her first capture in 2006, she was relocated but returned in 2012 to the same apple orchard that got her in trouble once before. She was recollared and relocated to a more remote drainage.

That’s when she got wanderlust – and never got in trouble again.

She discovered the Bob Marshall Wilderness and took a few hikes on the Rocky Mountain Front between Lincoln and Augusta. She checked out the Mission Mountains and the Jocko Lakes area.

She then headed to Idaho along the Interstate 90 corridor, passing Arlee as she traveled. She moved north of Wallace, Idaho, past Kellogg and made it nearly to Coeur d’Alene before apparently denning somewhere in the Panhandle.

By April 2014, she was back in Montana along I-90, past Superior and headed right for Missoula where she turned south through the Blue Mountain Recreation Area on her way to Lolo (where she walked right through the town) and eventually Florence.

She headed to Coeur d’Alene again, then back to Missoula en route to the Bob, right past her old stomping grounds at Lake Blaine. She checked out the sites in Glacier National Park before moving west toward Eureka, where she lost her collar on Oct. 17, 2013.

Other notables

•Two Toes 

roamed Swan Valley in the 1890s killing a small fortune in livestock before being hunted down.

Old Terror the pig killer
Around 1900, lived in the the Cabinet Mountains. Hunters reported firing 40 shots at the grizzly at close range. Newspaper reports said the bear survived because of its “supernatural toughness.”

.The Falls Creek Male

He became a legendary cattle killer in the late 1980s and 1990s, credited with about one cow, yearling or calf killed a year. Biologists maintain that the grizzly didn’t kill nearly as much livestock as reported, but did add to its notoriety by eluding capture until 2001.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2016/07/18/famous-grizzlies-montana/87168708/

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool stuff... thanks Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's really odd when it comes to twice told tales about hunting and fishing, animals never shrink.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They left out the story of the Grizzly living behind the Dairy Queen in Bigfork... gives a new twist to dumpster diving...

Years ago one of my customers was Pahaska Tepee on the east edge of Yellowstone. They told me they had to warn guest as they left the bar late at night to walk back to their cabins to watch out as they had bears patrolling around the place looking for food.

Then one afternoon I was driving into Buffalo Bill boy scout camp on the N. Fork of the Shoshone and encountered a sow with cubs... thought that is cool... well around the next bend was a couple hundred boy scouts and their tent camp... told the camp administrator and he went into a semi rage, he wasn't too fond of the bears...

Another time up at Crandall, Wy by Sunlight basin I had to replace a commercial dishwasher in the kitchen of a dude ranch, apparently a grizz got into the kitchen and they shot at it and missed it with a 12 gauge and killed the dishmachine...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JeffA

I do believe MT records only include score/date/location/(hunter/owner).

Fish go by weight, seldom are big game species killed in a location where they can be transported to a certified scale intact.

https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/reports/trophyRecordsSearch

You don't know what you're talking about. The record Montana grizzly bear weights from the past several years have been recorded from tranquilized bears that were trapped, using official, scales and witnessed by several people.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish Flave would chime in with his Cooke City Grizz story...... wouldn't be right for me to tell it... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bear sizes seem to be crazy variable. I am assuming how long they’re sleeping each winter and of course food availability/nutrition has a lot to do with it.

Here is a late August interior boar from the far north (so obviously a different dynamic than in Montana but I think my point is clear). Biologists checking him in estimated him at 15+ years old and ‘a GOOD bear in his prime’, I believe is how they phrased it. He missed B&C by less than an inch. I am told the bears in this area are underground for roughly 6 months of the year, which I assume limits their growth to some extent. He didn’t have as much fat on his back as I had figured he would, but I am no bear expert.

My tape had him right at 6 foot nose to tail and while there wasn’t a weight scale anywhere in sight, my best guess is that he weighed no more than 300-350(ish) lbs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Bear sizes seem to be crazy variable. I am assuming how long they’re sleeping each winter and of course food availability/nutrition has a lot to do with it.

Here is a late August interior boar from the far north (so obviously a different dynamic than in Montana but I think my point is clear). Biologists checking him in estimated him at 15+ years old and ‘a GOOD bear in his prime’, I believe is how they phrased it. He missed B&C by less than an inch. I am told the bears in this area are underground for roughly 6 months of the year, which I assume limits their growth to some extent. He didn’t have as much fat on his back as I had figured he would, but I am no bear expert.

My tape had him right at 6 foot nose to tail and while there wasn’t a weight scale anywhere in sight, my best guess is that he weighed no more than 300-350(ish) lbs.

Tinman, you aren't doing it right! bear stories require a very large amount of exaggeration, it's a tradition.... your bear looks to me to be 500lbs at least and I am sure you killed him as he charged you!..... wink

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Around 20 years ago a boar grizzly was snared and tranquilized by biologists along the Rocky Mountain Front, west of Great Falls. The portable scale the biologists had only went up to 800 pounds, and the bear bottomed it out--and that was in the spring, when he was not long out of his winter den. He would have weighed considerably more in the fall, possibly 1000+.

No Grizzly on the lower 48 has ever weighed 1,000 lbs.

EVER.

I'd not put a bet on that. Some bears feeding on bison below the Great Falls of MT that Lewis and Clark encountered might have gone that heavy due to the abundance of food.

We will never know, tho.

Last edited by las; 11/28/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA

Ethyl

She was quite the sightseer in her older years.

Ethyl, a 20-year-old sow, logged 2,800 miles in fewer than three years, crossing interstate highways, and major city boundaries, including residential backyards — and never got into any trouble with humans.

In her early years, Ethyl hung around Lake Blaine, between Bigfork and the Swan Mountains. After her first capture in 2006, she was relocated but returned in 2012 to the same apple orchard that got her in trouble once before. She was recollared and relocated to a more remote drainage.

That’s when she got wanderlust – and never got in trouble again.

She discovered the Bob Marshall Wilderness and took a few hikes on the Rocky Mountain Front between Lincoln and Augusta. She checked out the Mission Mountains and the Jocko Lakes area.

She then headed to Idaho along the Interstate 90 corridor, passing Arlee as she traveled. She moved north of Wallace, Idaho, past Kellogg and made it nearly to Coeur d’Alene before apparently denning somewhere in the Panhandle.

By April 2014, she was back in Montana along I-90, past Superior and headed right for Missoula where she turned south through the Blue Mountain Recreation Area on her way to Lolo (where she walked right through the town) and eventually Florence.

She headed to Coeur d’Alene again, then back to Missoula en route to the Bob, right past her old stomping grounds at Lake Blaine. She checked out the sites in Glacier National Park before moving west toward Eureka, where she lost her collar on Oct. 17,

I wonder if this was the one hanging out on the Stevensville High School lawn and the golf course. It was about that same time period.

As far as I know that bear never got into any trouble in the Bitterroot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Tinman, you aren't doing it right! bear stories require a very large amount of exaggeration, it's a tradition.... your bear looks to me to be 500lbs at least and I am sure you killed him as he charged you!..... wink

Well I do suspect he is the same bear that bluff charged me a few days earlier about 1/2 mile away….

That help?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,741 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,627
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.