Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by icculus
Lots of stellar advice here. A 10/22 is like legos. You can go from mild to wild and everything in between. The fact that you can build a 10/22 without a single Ruger part says something about the aftermarket. The first thing you need to decide is some parameters around what you want the rifle to be and then make your decisions based on that. I have multiples that are wildly different from super heavy target to light woods to super quiet.

Not sure your level of experience with the 10/22 so no insult intended but seriously two of the best upgrades you can do for less that probably $15 is a new recoil buffer and auto bolt release. From there I like to got aftermarket or modified bolt with pinned firing pin. All of that can be done without truly deciding a direction for the rifle.

Kidd triggers are the bomb. Have them on a couple and love them. Kidd barrels are also excellent but again depending on usage may be price overkill. One of my favorite, but now gone 10/22's had a Hogue (I know crappy) stock, a worked over factory trigger and a tac-sol barrel and it was amazing. i also have a few mostly factory in boyd's stocks that are fun as well. Latest creation is a takedown with a tac-sol trigger and tacsol integrally suppressed barrel in a Magpul backpacker. Point is your usuage will define your build and the combinations are infinate at this point......or you could just say F' it and buy a Vudoo, lol.. Cheers

Some guys say "F it", and buy Volquartsens too, but they don't shoot any better than some low dollar rifles I've seen. I guess there are so many ways to get it done, it will make your head spin.
Yes, you can get lucky with a Green Mountain barrel on a btownells action but you know the Volquartsen will be accurate. The feel of the gun is in addition to the good groups, like a Ruger 77/22 vs Savage mkii.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA; "I know a lot of you guys are suggesting Kidd triggers. I have a buddy that spent almost $200 on his and he hates it. Says it's "too light"."

Just want to point out that Kidd Triggers, both the one stage and two stage are ordered by your desired pull weight. Mine was within an ounce or two of my chosen weight.

And as BSA and others point out, there are a lot of less expensive options to get a very good trigger without spending a couple of hundred on a Kidd, VQ, etc. trigger.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got a used 85 model 1022.
Volq hammer, GM heavy taper 19" and Titan stock upgrades.
Did .4" for five at 50 yards w SK rifle match.
Didnt care for other non match ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
BSA; "I know a lot of you guys are suggesting Kidd triggers. I have a buddy that spent almost $200 on his and he hates it. Says it's "too light"."

Just want to point out that Kidd Triggers, both the one stage and two stage are ordered by your desired pull weight. Mine was within an ounce or two of my chosen weight.

And as BSA and others point out, there are a lot of less expensive options to get a very good trigger without spending a couple of hundred on a Kidd, VQ, etc. trigger.

Jerry

That's interesting Jerry. I'm going to have to ask my buddy why he ordered an 8 oz pull on his Kidd trigger. Sounds about right with him though. He likes to biotch about things, and is likely his fault. I will say again, that he does like the $60 Volquartsen upgrades I did to the factory trigger better than the Kidd. I don't think I'd pay $200+ for a trigger, but that is just me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well just a quick update. I ended up going Titan stock, kid ultralight and against my better judgment a BX trigger (found one for $57 so didn’t think it would hurt to try…will prolly eventually upgrade to a Kidd). I put a Meopta optika5 3-15 on it. It’s been pretty windy so I haven’t shot it out to 50 or farther yet. We have indoor bullet traps for shooting 50’ matches and we can get 25 yds in my buddy’s shop. It is boringly accurate from the very first group lol. Shot several different types of ammo and it shoots RWS Special match, eley semi-auto and CCI standards into damn near the same hole for 5 shots. It takes a bit to get used to shooting a rifle that light. Be interesting to see how it does at 50 yds and farther. I think it will serve its purpose for indoor shoots and squirrels/varmints.

Several guys have mentioned sending components to randy at CPC. Is there any downfall just sending him my bolt for a work over? I know most do the full package on the whole rifle, but curious if doing just the bolt will have any value. Thanks again for all the info!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shelton573
Well just a quick update. I ended up going Titan stock, kid ultralight and against my better judgment a BX trigger (found one for $57 so didn’t think it would hurt to try…will prolly eventually upgrade to a Kidd). I put a Meopta optika5 3-15 on it. It’s been pretty windy so I haven’t shot it out to 50 or farther yet. We have indoor bullet traps for shooting 50’ matches and we can get 25 yds in my buddy’s shop. It is boringly accurate from the very first group lol. Shot several different types of ammo and it shoots RWS Special match, eley semi-auto and CCI standards into damn near the same hole for 5 shots. It takes a bit to get used to shooting a rifle that light. Be interesting to see how it does at 50 yds and farther. I think it will serve its purpose for indoor shoots and squirrels/varmints.

Several guys have mentioned sending components to randy at CPC. Is there any downfall just sending him my bolt for a work over? I know most do the full package on the whole rifle, but curious if doing just the bolt will have any value. Thanks again for all the info!

I'd expect a Kidd barrel to send just about any kind of ammo into the same hole at 25 yards. When you get a chance to try it at 50 yards, you'll be pretty impressed with the way it shoots at that distance too. Sounds like a nice build.

I always thought those stocks looked very nice, just did not like hearing the negatives about fitment. Nothing wrong with a BX25 trigger either. Wondering if yours has the oldstyle aluminum housing?? I would have put in some Volquartsen parts, and ended up with a better trigger than the BX trigger, for about the same money. A Kidd trigger is over priced, as far as I'm concerned. Very diminished returns IMHO.

If you want a good bolt, look into a JWH precision bolt. They are about $100 on ebay. Again, I don't know how much Randy at CPC charges, but you don't really need someone to work over your bolt, when you can get a better one for the same price (assuming CPC is not cheap) as what CPC charges, then resell your original, if need be. Some of you guys want to do things as expensively and non thought out as possible, it seems. Keeping in mind, you build one wrong, and you are going to be into it for far more than the rifle is worth. Not a smart way to do it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been happy with my CPC worked bolt. Would go that route again or maybe just buy a new bolt from him if he has inventory. That would eliminate downtime.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
He charges $49 to rework the bolt. I had no fotment issues with the Titan stock. I bought the take down screw from them and everything fit tight and well. So far I can’t say anything negative there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How much do you want to spend on it?

For about $325 you could do the following:

I like the Ruger American style stock with the interchangeable LOP and comb height modules. S&P outfitters often has them and they regularly show up on eBay. They are usually advertised as "modular" and "modular compact" styles.

I think that you get more value from a CPC upgrade for the money, around $250, then anything else that you can do. Randy takes a holistic approach, so everything that he does works together, something that doesn't always happen when you just swap out parts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killerv
That 150 just turned into 500.

I've done several builds. My favorite though was done with a GM sporter fluted barrel 16.5in with a brimstone tier 2 trigger. Sits in a birch sporter stock that I action bedded. Stripped that paint off the receiver they do on the new ones now to bare metal and sealed with deft sanding sealer. I wouldnt worry about replacing the bolt, but i install an upgraded extractor and firing pin like a VQ or kidd.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did a lot of what killerv mentions, specifically a Green Mountain Sporter barrel, and a Brimstone trigger job. I also upgraded the extractor because the bolt needed it, but eventually went with a Kidd bolt. I finished up with a bedded Ruger walnut stock, and wound up with what is called a 'Super Stock' edition. It looks like a stock 10/22 but shoots MUCH better. I can also echo the comments on CPC.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.