Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I should stay with what I know, and let the tree growers grow trees?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I should stay with what I know, and let the tree growers grow trees?
It'll take 8 to 10 years to find out if your trees are usable. Then you can start over if they aren't. How many decades do you have left to grow trees? Or, you can buy good stock and be eating good apples after only 5 years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Don’t they all come from seeds
Originally, yes. But ALL current apple production is from clones of each and every hybrid grown commercially. In the old days folks would often have an orchard for cider production. Just random trees from where ever.

There is a large Russian forest dominated by wild apples. No two trees are the same.

Exactly.
The only way to know what you are getting is grafting.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My father planted a bunch of mulberry trees from seed. They were a specific color that he liked. I wage war on them in my fence lines.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I planted about 200 apple seeds in a 5 gl bucket last winter. Pulled bucket out too late and had about 200 5" long extremely spindly sprouts this spring that broke at the slughtest touch. All but one died. Trying again this year. Idea was to just plant them to deer forage in a few years; but not sure it is worth it.

The seeds were from some trees we purchased that are now yielding. In all candor, probably ahead to just buy small disease resistant trees cheap from some reputable source. May cost more initially; but much more likely to have favorable results.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got some cherry trees that came up in a garden bed, from seed I tossed there. I should have tried to transplant one or two this past season while they were dormant.

Couple of plum trees about 1' tall in another bed too. Hope to get them dug up in early spring when I can use my arm again.

i'm not worried about what they produce. If anything, there's always jelly that can b made.

Wild apples are that way too. All over farm land in E WA, deer eat apples, scheidt in the bar ditch, new apple tree. every once in awhile they find a good tasting new variety from seed and clone the heck out of it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What we call an apple was developed by breeding the European crab apple with a Kazakh species of apple and a Chinese species of apple. The "apple" therefore didn't exist before Marco Polo's time -- there was no "apple" in the garden of Eden.

Because of that mixture of three HUGELY variable species, breeding any two varieties of appple will give WILDLY variable results. In essence, every breeding is an outcross. Many offspring will revert back to one of the parent type, e.g. crab apple.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought an apple, and a peach tree from Chief River.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
What we call an apple was developed by breeding the European crab apple with a Kazakh species of apple and a Chinese species of apple. The "apple" therefore didn't exist before Marco Polo's time -- there was no "apple" in the garden of Eden.

Because of that mixture of three HUGELY variable species, breeding any two varieties of appple will give WILDLY variable results. In essence, every breeding is an outcross. Many offspring will revert back to one of the parent type, e.g. crab apple.
Dang bro,you ruined a good garden story there. What next, no serpents either?

As to the potential crosses today, what you say makes sense. Some of the ones I've found growing wild (feral?) aren't worth picking for cider even.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some things we do just fore the fun of it

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
So, the Old Testament was written post-1295?

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve started many teees from seed

Chinese chestnut
Various apple
Deer pears
Sawtooth, red and white oak.

I’ve planted approx 200 trees in 6 years some have died. Some are doing ok, some aren’t doing much and some are thriving. It’s a hobby..

I started in 2019, so far the only one to bear has been one of the Chinese chestnut trees. They seem to be doing the best. Most are 10feet tall.

I’ve also bought seedlings and trees oaks, Dunstan chestnut, Norway spruce, some pear, apples, persimmon, and Allegheny chinkapin.

It’s a hobby. I may never see some of them bear in my lifetime, but if by chance I get lucky and they all do bear…. It will be a great hunting season lol!

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench

No, your translator sucks, lol..

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Came across this article today. Pretty cool what this fella does with heirloom apples.
Appalachian Apple hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
Came across this article today. Pretty cool what this fella does with heirloom apples.
Appalachian Apple hunter
There was an article in our electric co-op magazine about a guy in OR trying to find and save old varieties.

Small program by some folks in our county doing similar, taking scions to graft to try to keep the strain going.

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
If you can find any mention of apples anywhere in the Bible, please let us know where. They most certainly weren't in the Garden of Eden.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,974
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.