Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think that is exactly how they work Although I have never used one or installed one on anything.

Rolly
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by Rolly
Thanks everyone! It appears that I just have to plug my Lyman pot into the PID controller and plug the PID controller into 120 volt outlet. Then put the thermocouple from the controller into the lead. What setting do I use for my pot? All the way up(hot) , mid-range or low?
You can gut the temp control on the LEE if you want, otherwise just turn it all the way up, then use the PID to cycle the heat. They work good.

So to understand this PID thing. The pot is plugged into the PID, and the PID is plugged into 110v power source. The thermocouple tells the PID what temp the melt is at any given point in time. The PID maintains the consistent pot temp by interrupting incoming voltage when it goes above or is maintaining a pre-set temp; and feeding voltage when the pot cools below that temp.

Little magic leprechaun in there throwing a switch on and off to keep a consistent temperature. Right?

That's it in a nutshell.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been looking through the PAGES of PID controllers on Amazon and, well, it's all Greek to me. I was looking for the plug and play easy button and I guess I'm not seeing it. My imagination suggests a controller box with 110v in and out and a thermocouple to stick down in the pot. Am I going to have to get an electrical degree before I do this?

I'm not the average dumbass and I can figure things out if I need to, but about 35 years ago I did hand the test book back to the IBEW test monitor and apologized for wasting his time. Didn't even look at page two of the test.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m in the same boat as Feral American. I can do some basic wiring but I was hoping for something like he described. Put the thermocouple into the lead, plug the PID into 120 outlet and the lead pot into the PID. Doesn’t seem to be available ( at least at prices I am searching)

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a tinkerer with most stuff and love building my own gear, but like I need another project right now to add to the couple dozen others I have in play.

My goal here is to upgrade my casting game to supply a couple project Marlin lever guns (45/70 and 35Rem, and maybe one in 375Win), my muzzleloader longrifles, and some 45LC pistols we have kicking around here.

I'm an old school bullet caster. Lead pot, ladle, and running 2 or 3 molds at the same time. I cast a pile of bullets, let them cool, then cull by weight and appearance.

I have a new plan to set up a casting station and cull as I cast. When I get it rolling I'll make a post about it. I want to cast two alloys at a time, pure lead and 50/50 WW/Pb. I want to take a day and cast enough good bullets and balls to last months, maybe enough to last a year at a time. With the 50/50 alloy I want to be as precise as I can be.

This PID thing caught my attention and I've realized good temp control has to be part of the precise casting part of things. In my research I've ran across the RCBS Easy Melt, which LOOKS like it already has PID temp control built in. The reviews indicate it is very precise at controlling temperature.

Part of my plan is to buy another pot anyway, for the 50/50 bullets, and one with a larger capacity than the Lee pot I'm currently using. That Lee 10lb pot will get relegated to the pure lead stuff once I get my station set up. The Easy Melt supposedly has a 25 lb capacity which is PLENTY big enough for the 50/50.

Weighing cost vs return vs effort I'm thinking (unless somebody can talk me out of it) buying the Easy Melt and killing two birds with one stone. Just a plain pot would cost me near $100 for something big enough, plus the $ for a PID set up, would put me at or near the cost of the Easy Melt. Add in the fiddledicking to get the PID working and the math is easy for me to figure out what I need to do.

I'm gonna buy an Easy Melt and be done with it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
HATCH over at Castboolits. Have had mine for a few years, no issues. Still have the makings to build one myself accumulated. After i found his setup for $125-$150 have not bothered. I’ll look for link. Hasn’t been that long ago he posted having some ready to go.

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ring3, that would be great if you could post the contact. I have looked for a Hatch contact but haven’t been able to find one.

Rolly
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He is listed on the sight in the “Vendor Sponser” section. Hopefully this link will work.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?277-HATCH-Automation

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got in touch with Hatch and have plans for a new PID in time for Spring casting. Thanks for the contact info.

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got in touch with Hatch and have plans for a new PID in time for Spring casting. Thanks for the contact info.

Could you "spec" out what you're acquiring from Hatch?

Plug and play?
Temp probe (thermocouple)?
Cost?

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
what's wrong with a analogue thermometer ? Temperature range isn't that critical and many guys don't have this digital unit cast decent bullets.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/17/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Plug and play?
Cost?

I think he’s pretty clear somewhere in his posts what is offered.

Mine was “plug and play”, came with temp probe, and as I remember cost $125.

Originally Posted by anothergun
what's wrong with a analogue thermometer ? Temperature range isn't that critical and many guys don't have this digital unit cast decent bullets.

Cant imagine anything wrong with analog temp. Use one often. For me a PID provides precision and consistency. My first LEE pot got away from me a few times. Current RCBS pot not as often. PID levels things out nicely.

I’ve used it for the PC oven too with good success.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just ran an oven at 440 degrees with a WW cast from 9 to 15 BH in 15 minutes, so I don't have to add alloys to bring it up.

My thermometer has low end and high end scales.... Lyman recommends the low end for ladle casting. However, I was able to stabilize my Lyman Big Dipper well, and it cycles on and off maintaining temperature consistently.

Last edited by anothergun; 12/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ring3

Plug and play?
Cost?

Haven't dug in deep enough yet over there to find much of that, but you answered my questions. Thank you.

Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Plug and play?
Cost?

Haven't dug in deep enough yet over there to find much of that, but you answered my questions. Thank you.

Rolly
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hatch said $125 shipped. Will order a plug and play and should come with the correct temp thermocouple.

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hatch said $125 shipped. Will order a plug and play and should come with the correct temp thermocouple.

Keep us posted. Will appreciate seeing what you get and how it works out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Plug and play?
Cost?

Your welcome. Hope your outcome is satisfactory. I’ve been pleased. Technology applied properly to our applications can certainly be helpful. Those who have years of experience and knowledge may not benefit. What gets those of us lacking either to success is a plus. Again, I’m very satisfied with the performance experienced using a PID. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.