Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Clean up crew. Used to train hogs to single hot wire as shoats. And we’d let a herd of hogs graze them cut corn fields. Keep em in with that single strand of hot wire, always worked real good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hot wire and hogs! Uncle had a pasture that he ran hogs on. Had it divided into about 4 equal sections. Run hogs in one section for a while and then rotate them. Like you said, 1 strand of hot wire. Hogs would have a trail about 2' from the wire, all the way around.

I was visiting one day and he decided to enlist my help in moving the hogs to another section. We turned the fence off and laid the wire on the ground, then tried to drive the hogs over the wire, to the other part of the pasture. NO GO! Those hogs would go up the the trail, 2' from where the fence was suppose to be, and no further. They would turn and scatter. We tried for at least an hour, before giving up.

Uncle said he figured they would cross over, if he left the wire off and laying on the ground, but that didn't happen either. He had to roll up that 1 strand of wire and then in a couple of days, the hogs finally went to the new ground.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Hot wire and hogs! Uncle had a pasture that he ran hogs on. Had it divided into about 4 equal sections. Run hogs in one section for a while and then rotate them. Like you said, 1 strand of hot wire. Hogs would have a trail about 2' from the wire, all the way around.

I was visiting one day and he decided to enlist my help in moving the hogs to another section. We turned the fence off and laid the wire on the ground, then tried to drive the hogs over the wire, to the other part of the pasture. NO GO! Those hogs would go up the the trail, 2' from where the fence was suppose to be, and no further. They would turn and scatter. We tried for at least an hour, before giving up.

Uncle said he figured they would cross over, if he left the wire off and laying on the ground, but that didn't happen either. He had to roll up that 1 strand of wire and then in a couple of days, the hogs finally went to the new ground.

It’s amazing how smart them jokers are. But they’ll respect a good hot wire sure enough. We’d set up hog panels to catch em, have to feed em in there for about a week to get em used to it. Then load em up on the trailer and take em to the barn, finish em a few weeks or so and then have some fine groceries. 😁

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Next time try a trail of cat kibble to lead the out.

When my kids were raising 4H hogs, that was the ticket to getting them to load themselves into the trailer. Easy/peasy. We called it "pig crack" the way they'd go after it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,191
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.