Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A good friend and gun collector / dealer showed me a dandy yesterday. I meant to but forgot to take pictures of the gun. The roll stamps looked absolutely perfect on the barrel. It came from a collector who was known for owning lots of "Special Order" guns. This man died and his son could not find the paperwork for the Hornet. What a shame. It brought a fraction of what it should and will again bring a well below value price. My friend is going to list it with the story if it doesn't sell to a fellow locally, who is interested in it. The buyer can make up his mind as to what he wants to believe / pay. We think it should bring at least $2,000.00 but who knows. I'll update if it goes to Gunsinternational. I can't believe I forgot to take pictures! I took it out of the stock and everything!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Interesting, following the thread. Can’t wait for the pics

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Interesting, following the thread. Can’t wait for the pics

Same here.

Semper Fi
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
There most likely won't be pics. My friend is at his hunting camp up here and will be heading home soon if not already. hammersleyfork is his user name @ gunsinternational , but it may never make it there.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A one-off gun? Never catalogued by Winchester or personally seen/heard of another. Keep us posted if it goes to GI

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A one-off gun? Never catalogued by Winchester or personally seen/heard of another. Keep us posted if it goes to GI

That would be a 10k plus gun with paperwork; no?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

With paperwork, probably. I've talked to some Winchester guys, that actually worked at the factory or knew guys that worked there, and guys that knew Bert Hartman (someone that knows Winchesters). There were stories of people that worked there and some things they made for themselves. This one could be such a rifle. So, not only special orders should be considered here. One of Bobin's buddies, that I met, told me he's seen some things that he doesn't even like to mention here because people would not believe him.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sbrmike: Could YOU describe what you saw once the barreled action was out of the stock?
Including - did the barrel have a "barrel bulge" for the rear sight, aluminum floorplate or not, etc etc etc.
Also looking forward to pictures.
Thanks for sharing your experience with this Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
That's really an unusual combo for sure! I have only one Win 22 Hornet. A minty Model 54. The idea of a Hornet in Featherweight Model 70 is wild... If established as Factory!

Anyway... Over at WCA, the Model 70 "attending physician" not Burt as he'd likely defer to Louis Luttrell as Model 70 Resident Guru. He's been my "go to guy"... 'IF' with referenced good pix not resolved here! Barrel nomenclature re chambering and showing "Featherweight" of particular interest to me!
Hope to learn more!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 11/28/23.
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It was a typical Featherweight contour barrel with no dovetail for rear sight, no front sight ramp. Had the proper witness mark and 52 22H underside. No evidence of being turned down from a standard weight 22 Hornet, also top side rollmarks were perfect. This is not a one of from an employee. The previous owner, now deceased was well known for having "Special Order" pre 64 Win 70's. The son couldn't locate the paperwork for this one. The magazine box was pure 22 Hornet as was the bolt. It had excellent condition aluminum floorplate and triggerguard. I will try to call my friend but we are in the rural PA mountains and cell service is not all over up here. He should be heading home before too long and I can contact him there.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks Mike! Your great & competent description convinces me! smile What a rarity!
Best!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

With paperwork, probably. I've talked to some Winchester guys, that actually worked at the factory or knew guys that worked there, and guys that knew Bert Hartman (someone that knows Winchesters). There were stories of people that worked there and some things they made for themselves. This one could be such a rifle. So, not only special orders should be considered here. One of Bobin's buddies, that I met, told me he's seen some things that he doesn't even like to mention here because people would not believe him.

I I have heard similar stories out of the S&W Factory from an acquaintance who has three relatives that have worked there for many decades.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sbrmike: Thank you for all that additional and pertinent information.
What an unusual (and desirable!) Rifle that one is/would be - if in fact it was produced/manufactured at the old Winchester factory.
But... if... I understand your post correctly I would differ with you on the part you posted "this is NOT a one of from an employee". I think if indeed an employee of Winchester made that Rifle it was probably a "one of" and/or a special order. I have never seen or heard of another myself - and I been around!
Anyway after a close inspection by me and if said Rifle passes my inspection I would like to own it!
Please let us/me know if it does "get listed".
Thanks again for the additional info.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have been calling him but no answer. Probably still hunting up here and no cell service. I am not going to drive 25 miles through the mountains and ford a creek in winter to not find him. I left messages and he will call me when he gets service. The reason I say it is not an employee made one of one (lunch box gun) is because the former owner (deceased) had a few "Special Order" model 70's. The son can't find the paperwork on this one. I hope to hear something soon.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Following the thread

Hunter S. Thompson
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I finally have an update. My friend is going to send me some pictures. I will post when I get them. He is in no hurry to sell right now. Another very knowledgeable collector is interested in the gun but is in Florida for the winter. He is not wanting to sell until the Spring after that collector gets a look at it. He will listen to serious offers but is not wanting to sell at hunting rifle prices if it might end up being quite valuable.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good stuff…..

Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back around 1965 I saw a M70 Hornet in a pawnshop in Denver, asking $75. I passed. frown

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Paul39
Back around 1965 I saw a M70 Hornet in a pawnshop in Denver, asking $75. I passed. frown
Hind sight…!

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Paul39

Not surprising, that’s very likely what a used Hornet sold for half a century ago

I paid $4,500.00 or so for a brand new Chevy Monte Carlo in 1975

Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (222Sako, 219DW, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.