Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i will post photos tonight, for sure. Another funny story about Martin. I was trying to select wood for my stock and over several weeks, I sent him at least 30 photos of two-piece stock blanks that I liked. He scoffed at all of them. I finally found a 2-piece Claro blank that I really liked and was within my price range (really pretty mineral streaks with color and some fiddle back). I was sure Martin would like it too. I sent him photos. His response? "Hah! Dat firewood!" laugh That's when I realized he wasn't building my rifle for me, but for him! So I started looking for wood that I thought he would like. After getting a sense of his preference, I finally found a 2-piece blank that I thought he'd approve. I sent him photos and he said "Yah. Dat good. I use this one." I think he was getting tired of me. blush

Last edited by Tarquin; 12/16/23.

Tarquin
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What type of wood was your/ his lol, final selection?

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some sort of Turkish I think. I don't know wood too well....and my photography sucks. I believe the photos of Martin and his wife splitting firewood were taken last winter. The action is nitrided and the barrel is rust blued.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19019007#Post19019007

This gentleman has several Hagn rifles.

Last edited by Tarquin; 12/16/23.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wood comes from Home Depot 2"x6" rack.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I subscribe to the ACGG newsletter and they have a bit of a tribute to Martin. I have wanted one of his single shot based rifles for years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Is there any way you can link that tribute or cut and paste it for us?

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed that John Vest is no longer listed as a guild member. He has a Hoenig stock duplicator and does very nice stock duplicating. Is he still with us and still taking work, if anyone knows?

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle Tarquin, like the gentleman said, it's like owning a Picasso!

Very nice wood. What are you going to hunt with it?

KB

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Never met Hagn, but I talked to him on the phone over 25 years ago. It was before he started offering different sized actions. At that time you could buy an action. I hope someone continues the making of his actions. He had a brilliant mechanical mind. I have the Frank Dehass book, in which Frank praises Martins work. RIP Martin.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you Killer. I thought it would be a nice little walking rifle for head-shooting pine hens (Dusky Grouse) here in the west and for squirrels and such. I want to see if I can get good with it using open sights---same as when I was a kid with a .22 LR (and good eyes!).

Tarquin
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I enjoyed the video. The first time I saw the inside of one of Martin's actions I was impressed with the simplicity. The trigger system is beautiful, as is the extractor. He also made an optional spring loaded mount for the forearm which is very clever and simple in design. When you add to that the superb workmanship that went into every action, it's no wonder it comes out on top of this comparison.
I once hardened a whole bunch of trigger parts for him and, again, the simplicity of the parts and the system was very impressive to me. We had many discussions about how things worked or how they should be done and he always seemed to actually listen to my ideas and care about my opinions. I appreciated that.
Back to the video: I've been gunsmithing for nearly fifty years and it never occurred to me to use dish soap when removing recoil pads! Instead, I used oil, then used dish soap to clean it up. What a bonehead! I've always said, You can teach an old dog new tricks but you can't teach a dumb dog any tricks! GD

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I heard a rumor yesterday (from a very reliable source) that another well-known and highly respected gunmaker will be continuing the production of the Hagn single-shots. I don't feel I'm at liberty to state the name of the gunmaker, but I'm sure it will become known in the next few months.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
I enjoyed the video. The first time I saw the inside of one of Martin's actions I was impressed with the simplicity. The trigger system is beautiful, as is the extractor. He also made an optional spring loaded mount for the forearm which is very clever and simple in design. When you add to that the superb workmanship that went into every action, it's no wonder it comes out on top of this comparison.
I once hardened a whole bunch of trigger parts for him and, again, the simplicity of the parts and the system was very impressive to me. We had many discussions about how things worked or how they should be done and he always seemed to actually listen to my ideas and care about my opinions. I appreciated that.
Back to the video: I've been gunsmithing for nearly fifty years and it never occurred to me to use dish soap when removing recoil pads! Instead, I used oil, then used dish soap to clean it up. What a bonehead! I've always said, You can teach an old dog new tricks but you can't teach a dumb dog any tricks! GD

Awesome story greydog~

"Life is like a bunch of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get", you learn something new every day.

I am in the process of refinishing my M1917, and boy did I ever learn a lot from members here, great experience cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/17/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Good afternoon, I hope this finds each of you well and as ready for Christmas as you'd hoped to be.

Here's the latest from the same fellow in the above video.

Best to you all and Merry Christmas to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Merry Christmas to you and your family Dwayne, and wishing you a healthy, happy, and joyous 2024!

PS: Looking at the rifles in your screenshot, do you think they are "Oiled and Waxed" or "Polyurethaned"

God Bless

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/20/23.

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for posting that Dwayne. Do you know the name of the gentleman in the video?

Last edited by Tarquin; 12/20/23.

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day treated you all well.

As far as the finish which Martin used, I'm thinking that greydog would have a better idea or even Tarquin as to what it is, sorry.

Thanks for the Christmas greetings, may I return best wishes for you all out east of the big hills too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all out there.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tarquin;
Good evening sir, I hope that Salmon is getting the same mild winter that we are up here and that you're as ready for Christmas as you'd hoped to be.

Sorry to say I don't really know who the fellow in the videos is other than his name is Mike and I believe he lives somewhere in the Lower Mainland - so Fraser Valley or one of the many cities that make up Greater Vancouver.

That's a guess on my part, but he has talked about picking up firearms from a couple different shops down there so that's how I got there.

He has an impressive collection as well as a decent depth of knowledge for most of the stuff he shows in the videos.

All the best to you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good call Dwayne!

Hi Tarquin, how was your beautiful rifle finished, is it an oil finish, and if so would you happen to know what oil he used?

Merry Christmas to you sir! smile

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/20/23.

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you, Dwayne and Merry Christmas to you too. Killer, I wish I knew the finish but I do not. It is a bit too glossy for my taste. I've wondered about how to knock a little of the sheen off, but that would be messing with a Hagn original and additionally, I might screw it up! Still considering options though. Merry Christmas to you too KillerBee!

Tarquin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 15 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,451
Posts18,507,953
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.