Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm new to these machines, but I'll be taking delivery of a Pioneer 1000 in a few days. it's the two-door, single bench seat, dump box model. 1000-3 some refer to it as.

Looking at basics I need to add to the rig. Things like spare tire, jack, lug wrench for starters.

I see scissor jacks, high lift jacks, farm style bumper jacks. What do you guys, (and gals) prefer. I'm talking about a jack to stay on the vehicle, not a shop jack. mostly something to change a flat with.

Thanks, Shane

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evenin, just a cheap scissor jack will work. Ya can usually find a spot or make one were you can put it & then crank it till it's tight & not rattling around loose. Winches are reallllly handy to but I'm sure you've figured that out. Get one big enough,at least 4500lbs. Will also lift the front end (or rear) off the ground if there's a tree limb handy. Mount the winch on a plate of steel & have it so it will mount on both ends. Trailer ball or even hook onto rack, ft or rear. Enjoy. GWPGUY. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‘πŸ»

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for that. I was leaning toward a simple scissor jack, for my needs. Sometimes I overthink things.

This Pioneer is getting the add-on winch kit, and plow kit, I believe it is a 4500lb winch.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jacking an independent suspension can be tricky. There often isn't anyplace on the hub for a jack. If you put it in the middle to lift the whole end, you'll need a very tall jack as the wheels will sag as you lift. Try it at home to see what works. You might need to make something for the jack to lift against. Consider that if the tire is flat, the jack will need to start lower. Does it have enough lift to get it high enough for an inflated tire?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jacking an independent suspension can be tricky. There often isn't anyplace on the hub for a jack. If you put it in the middle to lift the whole end, you'll need a very tall jack as the wheels will sag as you lift. Try it at home to see what works. You might need to make something for the jack to lift against. Consider that if the tire is flat, the jack will need to start lower. Does it have enough lift to get it high enough for an inflated tire?

That's one reason I asked here. The suspension travel is 10+ inches, so got me thinking a hi-lift bumper style jack that off-roaders use a lot might be in order. Looks like opening a door would give good access to getting the jack under the frame, and lifting that side as needed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is made to grab a bumper with a HiLift jack. Something similar to use with a UTV should work but it might take some experimenting. Making a strap with hooks can work, too.
If you carry a HiLift, I highly recommend making WD40 a required accessory. Mud and dust can make a HiLift jam up and you can't get it down. A shot of WD40 can save your tail.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Both my pioneers have a winch on the front end --No jack needed

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A winch on the front mighthelp change a flat on the rear if you have a very strong overhead limb.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I appreciate the feedback guys.

I'll keep it simple. 18-inch lift scissor jack, and a short piece of 4x6 timber for soft ground, or extra height. That's what I do in my pickup already.

The main thing is to be able to change a flat wherever I might be, without a lot of drama. I'll have the winch, but there's not always trees handy around here. I'll throw one of those tire repair kits in the rig also.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Around the home, I mow over a lot of prickly pear with the lawn tractor. So I've put that green slime product in the tires. It seems to work, I think, as I haven't had any flats from the cactus.

Do any of you put the slime in your atv/utv machine tires? Are there any down sides to doing so?

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pull up front end with a winch cable on a tree .
Place Logs or rocks past the mid-point under the skid plate
Lower front end raising back end--- change tire
Raise front end and remove logs
Lower front end . unhitch and secure winch. Drive away

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes that's just not convenient. I carry a jack. I hate to have to drive 15 miles on a flat tire to find a tree.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
YUP Places like that would require a jack

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a Tusk scissor jack with some mounting hardware, and one of their compact lug wrenches.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-utv-scissor-jack-kit-p

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-extendable-utv-lug-wrench-kit-p?v=19390

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shane you might consider putting some type of flat stop in the tires. The good stuff really works. I use purple goo in mine. It don’t matter how many ply tires you run, thorns will get you. JMO, but I would never use slime.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks, I'll look for that purple goo.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good stuff, Shane. I run Multi Seal in our SxS tires, and have a plug kit and mini compressor. Most of our use is with others/in groups closer to home so haven't felt the need for a spare. We just started taking our machine to Arizona in the winters, which has me reconsidering as we're solo/on our own if we have problems.

Thanks for posting links to the jack and lug wrench - I'll probably order the same. That outfit also has the same wheel and tire I'm running so one order will have me set.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I need to get a tire plug kit in there as well. Pretty small and inexpensive thing to have in the vehicle. Probably should get one of those mini compressors too. I have a smallish bicycle hand pump now. It seems enough to pump up a utv tire to 15 psi or so, but it seems like something that might get broken fairly easily.

We took delivery of the Pioneer 1000 last Friday. After a spin around the neighborhood in chilly temps, we ordered a windscreen, top, and rear panel. Those parts should be along in a week or so.

It's a fun little rig, and should do some work too, if we get any snow this winter. We got the winch/plow included in the initial purchase.

Thanks for the tip on the Multi Seal!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Multi Seal has a variety of products and claims sealing up to 1/2" holes. If true, it should eliminate any punctures other than sidewall cuts.

We had an enclosed cab with heater and plow in our first machine, but hardly used it in cold weather. Our current one has a roof, glass windshield with wiper/washer and hard coated plastic rear window.

Still debating on a heat source for chilly weather. Heater with defrost is a must with enclosed cabs to keep windshield defrosted. I hear heated seats are more effective with open side windows.

Last edited by JGray; 12/14/23.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That makes sense. I can see where it would frost up in cold weather with an enclosed cab.

I don't want a fully enclosed cab. With the windshield though, I figured a rear panel would be needed so dust doesn't roll in from behind in dry conditions. Then a top for shade/rain/hail, etc. I chose a two-piece windscreen, so it can open up and let air flow in when it's hot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That makes sense. I can see where it would frost up in cold weather with an enclosed cab.

I don't want a fully enclosed cab. With the windshield though, I figured a rear panel would be needed so dust doesn't roll in from behind in dry conditions. Then a top for shade/rain/hail, etc. I chose a two-piece windscreen, so it can open up and let air flow in when it's hot.

A full windshield really sucks in the dust. We have one that opens. Running open reduces the dust by 75% or more. It just blows through.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's good to hear.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Our current machine is a 4 seater and has a 1 piece windshield with vents across the bottom. Dust hasn't been a problem. Our last machine was a 2 seater and had a 1 piece non-vented windshield. Heat and dust were a lot bigger issue. I think the windshield vents and much larger side window openings allows sufficient air flow to help with both heat and dust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wldthg
YUP Places like that would require a jack

Along with being in the woods.

It can be difficult to find a sturdy branch, within 20 of the ground, in hardwood timber.

A couple of those 4x6 blocks are gold when you need them.
Cribbing blocks are up there with baleing wire and duct tape on the handy list.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/16/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Heads up guys, the Tusk 2-ton UTV scissor jack, is a steaming pile of $hit.

I gave it a test run in the garage this morning, under the Pioneer 1000. This is how the jack fared,

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
A gratuitous pic of the Pioneer 1000. I just got a windscreen, top, and rear panel in yesterday, and got it all installed this morning. The windscreen install was a bit fiddly, but we got it all massaged into place.

Took it for a spin, everything is functioning as designed.......grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You rigged that one out right. Nice looking machine to boot!

When I bought my SxS I really needed a fullsize backseat, otherwise I would have bought the Pioneer 1000. A hunting buddy of mine has one and it's a great design. He's been rather happy with it.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
We're real happy with it. We also have a 72" Warn plow for it. For now, no snow though. It hit 51F this afternoon.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It's a pioneer 500 but I can change all 4 tires with this winch set up

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by wldthg
It's a pioneer 500 but I can change all 4 tires with this winch set up

Nice. We were originally wanting a 520, to meet the 50" width requirement for many trails. The dealers say you cannot 'order' a particular Honda pioneer, it's a matter of locating something that is available, or waiting indefinitely.

After a few months waiting for a 520 to bubble-up in Helena or Bozeman, we decided to pull the trigger on this 1000 that was available in Bozeman.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We have two 500's and one 520 in camp. Great great machines. I'm guessing 1000 may be in the future. I 'm sure you will like that 1000 ---- Web

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Well, I have my jack situation sorted out. Went into Murdoch's and found they had 48" Hi-Lift jacks on sale for $79. I scooped one up.

Tested it out today. I opened the driver door and got under the frame tube below the door, the jack lifted both portside wheels off the ground like nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imagine that.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I have my jack situation sorted out. Went into Murdoch's and found they had 48" Hi-Lift jacks on sale for $79. I scooped one up.

Tested it out today. I opened the driver door and got under the frame tube below the door, the jack lifted both portside wheels off the ground like nothing.
That’s good choice. As I said earlier, always carry a can of WD40 or other cleaner. Mud and dust will jam up a Hilift and you can’t get it to go down. Some spray to blow out the crud can save you some misery.

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That’s good choice. As I said earlier, always carry a can of WD40 or other cleaner. Mud and dust will jam up a Hilift and you can’t get it to go down. Some spray to blow out the crud can save you some misery.

Thanks for the tip, I was pretty much schooled on those things as a kid. We had one in the back of a pickup that must have been 50 years old. No paint on it whatsoever, just a patina of surface rust. A little WD-40 and it still did what it was meant to do.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Used the Pioneer to push some snow today. I put about 400 lbs of weight plates and kettlebells in the back. It did good.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Hi-Lift jacks are very handy. Be sure to read the Hi-Lift manual on their use. Pay particular attention to the cautions...

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's good advice. I've used them a fair amount in my childhood, but that's been a long time ago. I did read through the instructions that came with the jack. For the most part it was all familiar info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.