Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As a fellow lefty those seem like heavy ol rigs to be packing around. I don't hate Weatherby nor hate 300 or 340 Weatherby but I think it's an awful choice to be making in the current Era of shortages and high prices. Theres far more viable and affordable options in 300win or go 300PRC

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
As a fellow lefty those seem like heavy ol rigs to be packing around. I don't hate Weatherby nor hate 300 or 340 Weatherby but I think it's an awful choice to be making in the current Era of shortages and high prices. Theres far more viable and affordable options in 300win or go 300PRC

My rifles are already bought and paid for but I am curious. What non custom company is currently building a left hand 300 PRC?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

My rifles are already bought and paid for but I am curious. What non custom company is currently building a left hand 300 PRC?

Christensen and Savage are 2. Probably others.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can’t really change what you already committed to with ordering both. If they are not ordered and you still have some leeway put together a LH custom build in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. A 300 Win Mag (operating at 64K psi) on a 24 inch barrel offers the same performance as a 300 Wby (operating at 65K psi) with a 24” barrel and typically yields better accuracy due to foregoing all the freebore (at 0.361”). Same could be said when comparing the 340 Wby (65K psi w/0.373” of freebore) to the 338 Win Mag, while 340 Wby is a bit more potent the 338 Win Mag is a great deal easier on the shoulder and kills with plenty of authority and for the most part shoots as flat as a 300 Win Mag or 300 Wby.

IMO a .30 Mag and a .33 Mag pretty much cover the same ground for a hunter. Spending $4K for two rifles that will anchor the same game is only a choice to own two rifles with same capability. BTW cutting the barrels will most likely void any warranty you may have with Wby.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Can’t really change what you already committed to with ordering both. If they are not ordered and you still have some leeway put together a LH custom build in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. A 300 Win Mag (operating at 64K psi) on a 24 inch barrel offers the same performance as a 300 Wby (operating at 65K psi) with a 24” barrel and typically yields better accuracy due to foregoing all the freebore (at 0.361”). Same could be said when comparing the 340 Wby (65K psi w/0.373” of freebore) to the 338 Win Mag, while 340 Wby is a bit more potent the 338 Win Mag is a great deal easier on the shoulder and kills with plenty of authority and for the most part shoots as flat as a 300 Win Mag or 300 Wby.

IMO a .30 Mag and a .33 Mag pretty much cover the same ground for a hunter. Spending $4K for two rifles that will anchor the same game is only a choice to own two rifles with same capability. BTW cutting the barrels will most likely void any warranty you may have with Wby.

I did not want a 300 Win Mag nor a 338. Have owned both in the past. Im trying to stay on track here and the original subject concerns barrel shortening, not my choice of what calibers I purchased

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’m a huge fan of portability over a few fps mv. So you’ve likely already determined my opinion on the matter!

For a hunting firearm, I want “nothing” longer than 24”! My wife’s .338 WM with a 24” barrel gives up very little to a 340 Weatherby with it’s 26”. IMO, not enough loss to lose sleep over. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/30/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....... A 300 Win Mag (operating at 64K psi) on a 24 inch barrel offers the same performance as a 300 Wby (operating at 65K psi) with a 24” barrel .and typically yields better accuracy due to foregoing all the freebore (at 0.361”)..

With all respect......no and no.

This is not near max. And I have worked on dozens of them. This one is mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will greedily take a 300 Winny and it’s added COAL over a 300Wby and Ping Pong Balls. I’ve had multiples of each,along with a couple 300 Supers. Hint.

Weatherbys are tender bitches,not even remotely geared to take a lick and pale horribly to the 300 Winny plainly cited. Hint.

The OP is fretting everything that does NOT matter and missing all that DOES. Pretty fhuqking funny! Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fotis
....... A 300 Win Mag (operating at 64K psi) on a 24 inch barrel offers the same performance as a 300 Wby (operating at 65K psi) with a 24” barrel .and typically yields better accuracy due to foregoing all the freebore (at 0.361”)..

With all respect......no and no.

This is not near max. And I have worked on dozens of them. This one is mine.

Now that's a great "shooting room". And very well done with the shooting !
Would you mind sharing your load date? Please PM if you don't want to make it public.
Thank you

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Knock my choice of calibers all you want. The 300 Wby has been around for 80 years and the 340 for 60. Brass is easy to find for both but can get pricey for the 340. Just bought 200 Weatherby cases for the 300 and they were $2 each. I can live with that. Also found a great deal on some 340 brass.
200 cases will last me decades at the rate I shoot.
I enjoy using “plenty” of gun. My go rifle when I lived in Alaska was a 375 H&H.
Besides, I rather enjoy exploring cartridges and rifles I never owned before.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load data is as follows

180 Barnes TTSX
81 gr IMR 7828 Short cut
Fed 215 Match primer
WBY brass
COAL: 3.558"
Shot on Sept 20, 2020

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Biden is 81 years old. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Weatherby brass is fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

I simply shoot it all and then some. Pardon my being afforded the luxuries of not being forced to guess. Bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps and MKV’s are simply mechanical Goat Fhuqks. Hint.

Personally,I have never been to Alaska,as it gets too cold there . Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have KDF brakes on my two hardest (before the brakes) kicking rifles, my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby. They came with 26" and 24" barrels which lengthened to 28" and 26" with the brakes. I've used these rifles on multiple hunts all over the world, and NEVER felt that their barrels were too long.

I have to laugh every time that I hear someone say that their 24" or 26" barrel is too long, then I see all of these hunting shows where the hunter has a 6" or 8" can on the end of their barrel making it 30" or more long.

I would NOT cut a 26" barrel down to 24" or shorter.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hand Held Golf Cart “Adventures” are funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

She went out her way to NOT Win The Lottery and scoop the cited 300 Winnny Custom Rifle. You Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hand Held Golf Cart “Adventures” are funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

She went out her way to NOT Win The Lottery and scoop the cited 300 Winnny Custom Rifle. You Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………

I feel sorry for your mother and dad. It must of been very hard on them raising someone as stupid and ignorant as you are. The 1% quality input you sometimes offer to this place is erased by the other 99% of your severe stupidity and constant interruptions to the topics being discussed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karen,

You were the one asking questions. Pardon simplistic facts fueling your Hurt Feelers Reports. Hint.

PLEASE find me “mistaken” and I’ll happily rub hour nose even further,into your Incredible STUPIDITY. Hint.

You Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Karen,

You were the one asking questions. Pardon simplistic facts fueling your Hurt Feelers Reports. Hint.

PLEASE find me “mistaken” and I’ll happily rub hour nose even further,into your Incredible STUPIDITY. Hint.

You Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Again,

I feel sorry for your mother and dad. It must of been very hard on them raising someone as stupid and ignorant as you are. The 1% quality input you sometimes offer to this place is erased by the other 99% of your severe stupidity and constant interruptions to the topics being discussed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by buffybr
I have KDF brakes on my two hardest (before the brakes) kicking rifles, my .375 RUM and my .300 Wby. They came with 26" and 24" barrels which lengthened to 28" and 26" with the brakes. I've used these rifles on multiple hunts all over the world, and NEVER felt that their barrels were too long.

I have to laugh every time that I hear someone say that their 24" or 26" barrel is too long, then I see all of these hunting shows where the hunter has a 6" or 8" can on the end of their barrel making it 30" or more long.

I don’t laugh at the ridiculous length of these “canned” rifles…..I delete the show!

I’m not opposed to a can, except for the government’s BS, but I’m not gonna chop 6 - 8 or more inches off of my rifle for that!

A “canned” rifle looks like a ballerina in combat boots…..beyond “butt ugly” and impractically long! JMO memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by buffybr

I don’t laugh at the ridiculous length of these “canned” rifles…..I delete the show!

I’m not opposed to a can, except for the government’s BS, but I’m not gonna chop 6 - 8 or more inches off of my rifle for that!

A “canned” rifle looks like a ballerina in combat boots…..beyond “butt ugly” and impractically long! JMO memtb

Amen..LOL I will never use a can..

μολὼν λαβέ

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Agreed, no cans on a big game hunting rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.