Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by memtb
Not trying to be a “smart @$$ here…….but in this case, it’s irresistible!

Why in the hell would I buy a bullet that’s noted for failures, and then have to modify it to “HOPEFULLY” improve it!

There are very good bullets available……that have proven, reliable track records! memtb

You shouldn't buy any bullets, only people that soot should buy components/ammo

I never go sooting.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Why in the hell would I buy a bullet that’s noted for failures, and then have to modify it to “HOPEFULLY” improve it!

There are very good bullets available……that have proven, reliable track records! memtb
How many if these so- called failures were the animal recovered? Just like the guy about a year ago on LRH who was 100% convinced that a Berger " penciled" through a deer buddies heard the smack and everything. Buck got away only to find out a couple days later the same exact buck showed up on his game camera alive and well!!
COMPLETE MISS!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Fotis

You shouldn't buy any bullets, only people that shoot should buy components/ammo

I never go sooting.

I corrected the typo just for you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sherm_61

How many if these so- called failures were the animal recovered? Just like the guy about a year ago on LRH who was 100% convinced that a Berger " penciled" through a deer buddies heard the smack and everything. Buck got away only to find out a couple days later the same exact buck showed up on his game camera alive and well!!
COMPLETE MISS!!

A recovered animal is not the absolute defining point of a bullet’s terminal performance!

Many shooters/hunters do a pretty detailed necropsy of their deceased animals to ascertain the performance of their bullet! There is much data showing the failures of some of the Berger designs tendencies to fail to expand as desired upon hitting game!

There is enough data indicating this as an ongoing issue to which some folks will modify the tip, “hoping” for improved terminal performance!

Going back to my initial comment, if I feel that I must modify a bullet for better performance ….it’s time for me, not everyone obviously, to search for a much better bullet for hunting purposes!

The age old comment “the animal died didn’t it”, is a pretty lame argument! But, if it’s all ya got…..that speaks volumes! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never had to modify a Berger tip only clean out the polishing compound, no need too. Ive either killed or seen probably 100 animals killed by Bergers since 2005 and 95% are DRT.
Show me this so called data other than internet say so.
If you dont recover the animal then its a pure guess, ive seen to many so called good hits turn out to be otherwise it happens but alot dont want to admit it and blame the bullet. FACT!!

Last edited by sherm_61; 11/23/23.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never had to modify a Berger tip only clean out the polishing compound, no need too. Ive either killed or seen probably 100 animals killed by Bergers since 2005 and 95% are DRT.
If you dont recover the animal then its a pure guess, ive seen to many so called good hits turn out to be otherwise it happens but alot dont want to admit it and blame the bullet. FACT!!

I don’t know you, nor do I have your “experience”! So much like your statement, those that discuss this topic a great deal over on LRH are subject to scrutiny! Your “FACT” is also internet “say so”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No my fact is seeing it to many times with my own eyes and not believing the net or here say.
Show me this Berger "failure data" if its true.

Last edited by sherm_61; 11/23/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I don’t know you, nor do I have your “experience”! So much like your statement, those that discuss this topic a great deal over on LRH are subject to scrutiny! Your “FACT” is also internet “say so”! memtb

Your use of the ! Is the most annoying thing on this forum.

Do you yell at everyone in your day to day?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No my fact is seeing it to many times with my own eyes and not believing the net or here say.

I don’t have to show you anything…..nor do I have to believe any of your statements a! That sir is “FACT”! memtb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

People only claim "failure" when they never recover the animal.

Couldn't possibly have been a poor shot. They would know since they flinched and the recoil made it unable to see the bullets impact.

And the fuddlore grows...

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I don’t have to show you anything…..nor do I have to believe any of your statements a! That sir is “FACT”! memtb
Thats because there is no data.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I have had failures happen with VLD in animals I did recover.
I guess everyone would if they had used them enough.
Failures came from late fragmentation or from no fragmentation at all.
When fragmentation happened late the bullet produced a very narrow wound path inside the animal and a vast superficial exit wound.
When there was no fragmentation the bullet produced a very narrow wound path from entry to exit as you would expect from a solid bullet which travelled straight.
Animals were recovered either due to good bullet placement and/or because one or more follow up shots and/or because I always take my Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound with me when stalking.
Had many failures with 25 cal 115gr, some with 27 cal 130gr, some with 6mm 87gr, and some with 6,5 140.
And none with 130 and 135gr 6,5s and 6mm 105gr, the latter being the best bullet I have tried in my 6XC.
Must have shot 400+ animals with them, from the size of a 70lb Roe Deer to the KKKK lbs of a female eland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois

I have had failures happen with VLD in animals I did recover.
I guess everyone would if they had used them enough.
Failures came from late fragmentation or from no fragmentation at all.
When fragmentation happened late the bullet produced a very narrow wound path inside the animal and a vast superficial exit wound.
When there was no fragmentation the bullet produced a very narrow wound path from entry to exit as you would expect from a solid bullet which travelled straight.
Animals were recovered either due to good bullet placement and/or because one or more follow up shots and/or because I always take my Bavarian Mountain Bloodhound with me when stalking.
Had many failures with 25 cal 115gr, some with 27 cal 130gr, some with 6mm 87gr, and some with 6,5 140.
And none with 130 and 135gr 6,5s and 6mm 105gr, the latter being the best bullet I have tried in my 6XC.
Must have shot 400+ animals with them, from the size of a 70lb Roe Deer to the KKKK lbs of a female eland.

The 6.5mm 130s have the same form factor as the 6.5mm 140s but less lead in the core. This make a bigger air space (void) in the point.

I have had great luck with the 140gr VLDs in the .264 Win Mag (3250fps @ muzzle) but prefer the 130gr VLD in the much slower 6.5mm Creedmoor.

I have seen the 105gr VLD fail to open one time on a chest shot elk. Missed rib on the entrance and went straight through the lungs with minimal damage.

Elk was recovered and that was one failure in over 50 elk killed with the 105gr VLD and many more deer/antelope/coyotes.

I believe the VLD is optimal with a bit of an air space at the point to ensure expansion in cartridges that don't generate high velocity.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I took my elk this year with 2 rounds of 180 eldm from a 7 prc. It worked but I miss my series of 1 shot kills with the 308 215g berger hybrid. The 215 hybrid really kills well as is.

I just bought a bunch more 225g eldm bullets today to try next year. I've used the 208 amax on game in the past and it worked but penetration was not much. Interested in seeing how the 225g does.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/25/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I took my elk this year with 2 rounds of 180 eldm from a 7 prc. It worked but I miss my series of 1 shot kills with the 308 215g berger hybrid. The 215 hybrid really kills well as is.

I just bought a bunch more 224g eldm bullets today to try next year. I've used the 208 amax on game in the past and it worked but penetration was not much. Interested in seeing how the 225g does.

Bb

Tipped bullets are the Debil. laugh

HPBTs are where it's at for killin.

Just Sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I just bought a bunch more 224g eldm bullets today to try next year. I've used the 208 amax on game in the past and it worked but penetration was not much. Interested in seeing how the 225g does.

Bb

Tipped bullets are the Debil. laugh

HPBTs are where it's at for killin.

Just Sayin.

I've shot big game with the 243 105 vld, the 6.5 140g vld, and several with the 308 215g hybrid. I had great results everytime. A 140 from a 6.5 Creedmoor a dozen years ago put a big 4x4 buck down instantly and had an exit wound.

I like the vlds and the bit of delayed expansion you get vs tipped. Although lately I've been running heavy tipped stuff at moderate speeds and having good results.

A friend I hunt with took 168g 7mm vlds to Alaska and had 1 shot kills on griz and sheep. I did have a 150g eldx from a 7-08 splash on a cow elk and only penetrate about 5" a few years back so I've gone to 180s there and slowed it down.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.