-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Howa and a CZ. My CZ shoots circles around my Howa. But I’m going to cut the Howa down and thread it. I have a Stocky’s carbon fiber stock for it. I plan on putting a 2-7 or a 1.5-5 on it. It will make a good truck gun for checking pasture and seeing a coyote that needs to meet his maker. My CZ wears a 4-12 x at the moment. But it will be getting a 2-7 or 1.5-5 soon. I don’t like this scope I have on it.

I have two ARs to build and I’m thinking one should be a 6.5 Grendel. I kind of like the caliber.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Do they make bottom metal for the CZ 527 to get rid of the protruding magazine? I see that as a significant flaw in an otherwise nice rifle.

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fshaw
Do they make bottom metal for the CZ 527 to get rid of the protruding magazine? I see that as a significant flaw in an otherwise nice rifle.

Thanks.

Frank

Not that I know of. Yes, it is a pain to have that mag sticking out, but Its not too bad. That CZ is a tack driver.

JC
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
I have a Howa and a CZ. My CZ shoots circles around my Howa.

I've always wanted to pick up one of those 527's, but they are getting harder to find. I remember seeing someone cutting down the factory magazines to sit flush--I think they ended up being 3 rounds after the mod.

It's hard for me to imagine a factory rifle shooting better than my mini Howa, but guns are individuals; out of curiosity, what kind of groups do your two 6.5's shoot?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wish Howa would make a LH action.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Johnwell

I've always wanted to pick up one of those 527's, but they are getting harder to find. I remember seeing someone cutting down the factory magazines to sit flush--I think they ended up being 3 rounds after the mod.

It's hard for me to imagine a factory rifle shooting better than my mini Howa, but guns are individuals; out of curiosity, what kind of groups do your two 6.5's shoot?

CZ shoots 1 moa or less. Howa is 1.5 to 1.75 moa.

JC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I have two CZ 527s in the Grendel and I have had just the opposite results with BOTH CZs. They shoot OK but not like I’ve come to expect from CZs (they are consecutive serial numbers so maybe I got Friday’s production??). The Howa easily outshoots these CZs - In all fairness I expect the CZ WILL shoot but I’m guessing the bedding and barrel channel will need a little work?

PennDod

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

Guess I just got a good howa then.

Attached Images
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by PennDog

I have two CZ 527s in the Grendel and I have had just the opposite results with BOTH CZs. They shoot OK but not like I’ve come to expect from CZs (they are consecutive serial numbers so maybe I got Friday’s production??). The Howa easily outshoots these CZs - In all fairness I expect the CZ WILL shoot but I’m guessing the bedding and barrel channel will need a little work?

PennDod

Not sure where you're located in PA, but if you want to only have one of those 527's in your arsenal, let me know... Could use a project.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Johnwell,

That’s about how my Howa shoots - and thanks for the offer on the CZ - I bought them for my great nephews (hence the consecutive serial numbers)…….if we end up going a different direction (i.e. Howa) I will let you know.

Penndog
(BTW I’m in NW PA - you?)

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Johnwell,

That’s about how my Howa shoots - and thanks for the offer on the CZ - I bought them for my great nephews (hence the consecutive serial numbers)…….if we end up going a different direction (i.e. Howa) I will let you know.

Penndog
(BTW I’m in NW PA - you?)

I appreciate it--I'm in NEPA.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Darryle
Who here has purpose built a Mini Grendel for their kids?

I did this for their first couple seasons. Ruger far ranch in Mdt chassis, strike industries buffer tube, magpul ctr buttstock and moe-k grip, pulled the rail for talley low 1" rings and trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 green dot duplex. They land around 8 1/4 lbs but not letting the kids offhand stuff anyway and the weight let them watch everything in the scope with only 6.5 ft/lbs recoil energy. Had Kenton speed dial turret on it, they got kills at 300 and 355 by dad dialling them up for across the valley shots. Nice thing was I could extend the stock out and shoot also. On on of those dial up kills (the 355 yard) I grabbed rifle to fill a second tag at 420 yards. If you want a fit the entire family type set up and everyone can shoot it well...a grendel in a chassis without bulky rings/optics and butt stocks etc. then you can build a pretty sweet little do all set up. It's still one of our favourite rigs, killed a lot of stuff, they've grown up to handle same lop as me so we can go back to normal stocks etc. The green dot reticle was so inuitive for the kids, fast and easy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

PennDod

I only had one of the CZs, but mine was a disappointment. My Mini OTOH, is a favorite. I really wanted to like the CZ, but when the Fieldcrafts appeared, I dropped it like a hot rock and put the money on the FC. Not long after, I got a screaming deal on the Howa and it was so satisfactory I had no hesitation spending a good bit on upgrading the stock and magazine to make it lighter and trimmer, as well as more functional. Later, I added a Carbon .223 and it only needed a new magazine setup.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a weaver grandslam tactical 3-10x40 iirc on the kids 6.5 mini. It was a special run for midway years back and has a mildot reticle with mil dials. It's just a 1" tube without a lot of adjustment to dial but it's enough for my 10 year old last year to send 129g ablrs far enough for what he was comfortable shooting.

I used it to shoot a coyote at about 300 and dialed it for range and it worked. I was looking in the scope pile for something light and relatively simple for him and found it new in the box. I think I bought it when midway closed them out. I wish I had a few more for my 7.62x39 and my other grendel. So many of my other scopes just seem too big on a little mini.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Live a little. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I'm finally happy with a scope on my ultralight mini project. Burris xt steel bases, weaver detach top mount 1" low rings, leupold fx2 fixed 2.5x ultralight. It's low, seems sized for the chipmunk size outfit and looks good.

Mine is a 22" cut to 18.5", action slabbed/fluted -3.0 oz, stocky's carbon, Jefferson bottom ends, hinged and cz detach mag. Pics can be found on instagram 65grendelhunters but you'll see I'm more partial to the ruger ranch, I built a few howa projects you'll see there, I built a cz 527 sweetheart there also...kept the ruger, and this howa may stay around but it has a cheap feel to it and mentally I can't shake it...even though it's got 3x-4x more money in it than the ruger out of the box I like the ruger way better, I'd never buy another howa, but for those who like projects and money pits...that's yer horse

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is your Ruger the 'American' model?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by fshaw

Thanks.

Frank
RVB has a shorter mag and they rework the trigger guard.
Not super flush but better than OEM.
RVB Precision

Calhoon has single shot follower that gets rid of the CZ527 mag hangin down.
James Calhoon

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
yes, a factory flush mag and trigger guard is available.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by richj
yes, a factory flush mag and trigger guard is available.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Are you RVB ?

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.