Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
the gentleman are definitely making some good looking weapons. I had a mini pretty early on when they first came out chambered in a 223. I just got one question for you guys have they fixed the issue where the magazine can be released a little too easily and lost?. I don't mind if you slung it over your back say on a four wheeler you could certainly bump the magazine released where you could lose a magazine. and those proprietary magazines were not cheap that was the biggest thing I had against mine. wasn't crazy about the small bolt handle. and I really didn't care for the stock getting less to be honest with you but it was okay. if they fix some of this issues you guys might have talked me into trying another one

GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by ldholton
the gentleman are definitely making some good looking weapons. I had a mini pretty early on when they first came out chambered in a 223. I just got one question for you guys have they fixed the issue where the magazine can be released a little too easily and lost?. I don't mind if you slung it over your back say on a four wheeler you could certainly bump the magazine released where you could lose a magazine. and those proprietary magazines were not cheap that was the biggest thing I had against mine. wasn't crazy about the small bolt handle. and I really didn't care for the stock getting less to be honest with you but it was okay. if they fix some of this issues you guys might have talked me into trying another one

I used a Jefferson Outdoors hinged floorplate on mine; makes that problem go away. Also makes the allowable COAL significantly longer (~2.45" IIRC).

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Johnwell
I used a Jefferson Outdoors hinged floorplate on mine; makes that problem go away. Also makes the allowable COAL significantly longer (~2.45" IIRC).

Cool for me too, since I like to load 110 and 120 grain monos meant for the 300 Blackout in 7.62x39

Not 6.5 Grendel, I know. But you guys must appreciate seating a bullet out farther too

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
Leupold VX-Freedom with Ultimate Slam reticle on mine...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oregon Gunsmithing stock on mine too.
What's the color combination on your stock? Very nice looking.

Thanks.

Frank

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
Leupold VX-Freedom with Ultimate Slam reticle on mine...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oregon Gunsmithing stock on mine too.
What's the color combination on your stock? Very nice looking.

Thanks.

Frank
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by PatB
Dinny, what stock is that ? Looks really nicely made.

Thanks
Same one on mine.
[Linked Image]
Pappy, Same question for you. Black with white webbing? Nice looking rig.

Thanks.

Frank

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
What trigger are you guys using on the Minis? If stock, did you clip a coil off the spring? How about brass and dies? I have the pieces coming my way. Looks like the Pendleton stock is going to be the long wait (3 months).

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly don’t recall what I ordered, and while it’s right here with me, I can’t be certain what the webbing color is. It’s probably supposed to be white, but it appears to have a cream-colored cast to it. Whatever it is, I like it a lot, and unlike the carbon model on my .223, it feels almost warm on my cheek, not like putting my head down on a formica countertop. If I ever spring for another Mini, I’ll go with another Pendleton for certain. Meanwhile, the carbon’s getting some paint…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fshaw, I clipped a coil on one and bought a spring pack for the other. Having tried both, just clip a coil, I can't tell a difference and couldn't tell you which is which at this point.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
fshaw, I clipped a coil on one and bought a spring pack for the other. Having tried both, just clip a coil, I can't tell a difference and couldn't tell you which is which at this point.

I have clipped some of the spring off on quite a few of those Howa triggers, and it works.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why the Grendel over the ARC?

Me

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks Pappy, it is a great looking stock.

Thanks JamesJr, clip it is.

Teal, i have a couple .243s and a 6x45. Pretty much have the 6mm thing covered. Years ago I wanted to buils a 6PPC deer rifle but at the time there were no bolt repeaters that would feed reliably, hence the 6x45. It looks like my PPC will be a 6.5PPC. If I didn’t already have the other rifles it’d be a 6ARC. My 6x45 is on a Bofors 461 and it it is a favorite, even with its case capacity limitations. The Adirondacks are big woods, short range country so BC doesn’t give much advantage here. I shoot Norma Oryx or 95gr Partitions out of it. Works pretty well.

Thanks guys.

Frank

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Teal

Why the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 6?

Many hunters have a minimum 120 gr bullet threshold as a legit big game hunting minimum. You can see this as a silent law or rule of thumb though out North America. Everything under 120 gr and 6.5 mm is niche. Some of it crosses over in t the .257 and 6mm with heavy for cal etc and does well but still niche all the same.

As a hunter if you’re gonna burn 30 grains of powder the ultimate way is the 6.5 Grendel.

So that’s why. Don’t even bother taking it any further, that is the answer.

You’re welcome.

For niche roles fill your boots, the 6 arc and 22 arc are there for those people also and 7.62x39. The 6.5 Grendel is legit 400 yard for everything formula, sd, bc, over 120 gr. The rest are niche options.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 01/13/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There you have it. The world according to stinkycoyote.

I ended up with a 6.5 Grendel instead of an ARC because I got a good price on it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote

Many hunters have a minimum 120 gr bullet threshold as a legit big game hunting minimum. You can see this as a silent law or rule of thumb though out North America. Everything under 120 gr and 6.5 mm is niche. Some of it crosses over in t the .257 and 6mm with heavy for cal etc and does well but still niche all the same.

As a hunter if you’re gonna burn 30 grains of powder the ultimate way is the 6.5 Grendel.

You’re welcome.

For niche roles fill your boots, the 6 arc and 22 arc are there for those people also and 7.62x39. The 6.5 Grendel is legit 400 yard for everything formula, sd, bc, over 120 gr. The rest are niche options.
Some would say that Grendel is a niche cartridge.
What niche ?
It can fit into an AR magazine box.
Is there a better way to launch 6.5mm pills ?

The 6.5 Creedmoor loads have 8-11″ less bullet drop at 500 yards and retain approximately 20-50% more energy down range than the 6.5 Grendel

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You’re welcome.

Color me shocked them at all the deer that routinely fall to the 243 with a 105/108 and literally never need tracking.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Maxwell
There you have it. The world according to stinkycoyote.

I ended up with a 6.5 Grendel instead of an ARC because I got a good price on it.

And I ended up with mine because the 6 ARC wasn’t around at the time. Might very well have gone ARC given that I have lots of 6mm bullets around. I do suspect the Grendel might have a slight edge on black bears, possible here, if not likely. Anyway, I have a 6CM, if something needs a .24 caliber hole…

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many hunters have a minimum 120 gr bullet threshold as a legit big game hunting minimum. You can see this as a silent law or rule of thumb though out North America.

What's your source for this comment?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Many hunters have a minimum 120 gr bullet threshold as a legit big game hunting minimum. You can see this as a silent law or rule of thumb though out North America.

What's your source for this comment?

The entire North American discussion themes on all forums and all discussions no online. 7-08 120gr is a common one, some 6.5 120 talk, 6.5x55 around forever but almost always with heavier, 270 at 130. But 25-06 and roberts always considered niche, the .243 of course. So the general accepted actual big game do all minimum standard is 120’s. My source is 30-40 years of paying attention. Everything under 120 has been considered a niche round.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,888
Posts18,479,129
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.