Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Any of you guys ever shot a coyote (or anything else for that matter) with the 35 grain NTX bullet. I have a few boxes of Superformance 35 grain NTX loads for my .222 Remington. I am wanted to try them on coyotes this year to see if they won't exit. I think the biggest problem is that all my 22s have 1-14 twist barrels and this doesn't help the bullet expand much. The guys shooting fast twists seem to get less pass-throughs. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll order a new barrel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dennisinaz; 10/21/18.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I really don't worry much what I shoot coyotes with. Are you after something besides killing them? Not being a smartass, just don't understand the conflict.

LOL
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, only one hole in.

NRA Benefactor Member

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I really don't worry much what I shoot coyotes with. Are you after something besides killing them?.

When you want to tan or mount a nice thick furred pelt, makes it a lot easier, and nicer not to have a hole in the side of the critter that is the size of a softball or volleyball.

I think that is why Dennis does not want an exit.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried the Sierra Blitz or the Hornady SX bullets yet? They used to be the standard for the .222 and varmint/coyote hunting in slow twist barrels like the Rem 700.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I did work up a load for my 22-250 with this 35g. bullet just to see what the velocity could be in it. Over my chronograph I had a high of 4411fps with an average of 4329fps clearly over the top with velocity and the pressure was getting a wee bit high also. I only shot a few rounds with that combo as I liked the barrel in that 22-250.

While out hunting rock chucks with it I did shoot a coyote broad side at around 260 yards and hit it in the ribs. Upon inspection the other side of it had a softball sized exit hole. I wasn't concerned about the fur and clearly the velocity is what did the damage. Don't know if that is helpful at all.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
That doesn't sound good.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have to consider the .222 is operating at considerably lower velocities, which the bullet was designed for. Only way to find out if any bullet is going to meet your needs is to try them out.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dennis,

I bought about 6 boxes of those on a close out sale off line a few years ago...

I like that bullet as I can get it moving pretty quick in a 223...even using reduced loads shooting at 222 speeds
I wacked a total of 4 coyotes with them at 200 to 250 yds, while out shooting sage rats over in Klamath Falls.

MV was in the 3000 fps range....each was a different field outing....but there were no exits on the 4
I shot... the bullet is relatively fragile...plus I like the fact that due to it being copper, it is the length of the average 50 grain VMax, but more fragile...

also trying some out of my fast twist 22.250 with a one in 7 barrel, at well over 4000 fps, and in the 4400 fps range, the bullet held up to the twist....and was very accurate...but no more so than another 22.250 with a one in 12 twist on a Model 70 with a 28 inch barrel...( you've seen both rifles, the first down in Texas at Ed's place and the other has been to Quemado several times.)

My luck has been real good with them... so I bought another 5 boxes of them this past summer for the same type of service....

while here, wanted to thank you for a comment you made earlier in the year on a thread about power equipment engines and fuel types... problems with ethanol... finally was able to run some down at our local puddle jumper airport, the 100 octane AVGAS you spoke of...Boy did the lawn mower and the weed eater and blower love that stuff.... yeah $5.25 a gallon, so a buck more than the supposed 92 octane ethanol free stuff, but certain well worth the extra dollar when you consider you don't have to wrestle the damn power equipment motors to get them started or put up with the sputtering... So Thanks a million!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you get to handloading, I've shot hundreds of coyotes with the 40 grain ballistic tip and it does what you are after. Can't help you with your ammo there tho.

LOL
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If you get to handloading, I've shot hundreds of coyotes with the 40 grain ballistic tip and it does what you are after. Can't help you with your ammo there tho.

I have shot a dozen coyotes with 50 grain Vmax and another half dozen with 40 grain Sierra Blitz kings. Most all exited.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Any new experiences?

NRA Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.