Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have one.

Thank you for answering the full and complete question I asked. I would be remiss in not thanking you for your well thought out statement.

Take note of the fact that you do not see pros using them.

Every once in a while, you will see some LEO or whomever with one, but if you dig further you will find that they really don't know what they are doing and are going for "the look" over a practical means to deploy the handgun in a fast and safe manner. In 30 years of carrying a gun for a living, I knew of exactly ZERO guys who I would consider experienced professionals who chose a shoulder holster as their primary means to carry a handgun. In very specific situations/scenarios, they could prove to be useful, but those were few and far between. As a general means of carry, they were less than ideal as compared to a traditional belt holster, along with a mag pouch and good belt.

In drawing from a shoulder holster, a major problem always was that it was quite difficult not to end up pointing the handgun at people you did not intend to. In many/most firearms courses, shoulder holsters simply were not allowed. Plus trying to re-secure the handgun in a fast and safe manner (which is actually very important) is more difficult with a shoulder rig.

They may look cool, especially when you are posing in front of the mirror, doing your best Don Johnson imitation, but after about 14 hours of wearing one, with it screwing up your shirt, and making everything look like crap, and you constantly having to take your jacket off to readjust your shirt, before you meet with anyone, such as bosses, judges, the AUSA to get a warrant, whatever, eventually you realize that they just suck. They end up getting tossed on a shelf in a closet or sold.

Bottom line is that you should save your money. Take note of the fact that you don't see pros wearing them, and that is what even the FBI can figure out is called a clue..

About the only thing I can add to this is that one should never use a holster that requires two hands to get the gun back into it, and especially one where you'll likely end up pointing the gun at yourself in some way. Years ago I knew of a guy who fatally shot himself at the range due to the combined factors using a shoulder holster and having a postural-instability negligent discharge while trying to re-holster.

I learned a long time ago there are many situations where one must have the ability to get the gun back into the holster as quickly as it comes out. It's amazing how many absolute junk holsters people are willing to put up with. Shoulder holsters have some very limited applications, and I've used them a fair bit, but they are generally not the best idea.

GB1

A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have one.

Thank you for answering the full and complete question I asked. I would be remiss in not thanking you for your well thought out statement.

Take note of the fact that you do not see pros using them.

Every once in a while, you will see some LEO or whomever with one, but if you dig further you will find that they really don't know what they are doing and are going for "the look" over a practical means to deploy the handgun in a fast and safe manner. In 30 years of carrying a gun for a living, I knew of exactly ZERO guys who I would consider experienced professionals who chose a shoulder holster as their primary means to carry a handgun. In very specific situations/scenarios, they could prove to be useful, but those were few and far between. As a general means of carry, they were less than ideal as compared to a traditional belt holster, along with a mag pouch and good belt.

In drawing from a shoulder holster, a major problem always was that it was quite difficult not to end up pointing the handgun at people you did not intend to. In many/most firearms courses, shoulder holsters simply were not allowed. Plus trying to re-secure the handgun in a fast and safe manner (which is actually very important) is more difficult with a shoulder rig.

They may look cool, especially when you are posing in front of the mirror, doing your best Don Johnson imitation, but after about 14 hours of wearing one, with it screwing up your shirt, and making everything look like crap, and you constantly having to take your jacket off to readjust your shirt, before you meet with anyone, such as bosses, judges, the AUSA to get a warrant, whatever, eventually you realize that they just suck. They end up getting tossed on a shelf in a closet or sold.

Bottom line is that you should save your money. Take note of the fact that you don't see pros wearing them, and that is what even the FBI can figure out is called a clue..

Back in the 80s when I was an LEO, when off duty I carried a model 13 IWB or OWB. Later when I was a prosecutor, I carried a Glock 19 OWB, under my suit jacket. I was elected to the trial court bench in 1996. My chairs in the courtrooms (four counties) all had armrests. Wearing a zippered robe, sitting in a chair with armrests is not conducive to drawing from a waist holster. Went with a Galco shoulder holster as the quickest way to access a handgun while on the bench. Left hand unzip the robe a bit while right hand goes inside the robe to draw the handgun. Carried the Glock 19 that way for 20 years at work. When not at work, I always carried IWB or OWB depending on what I was wearing. Since retiring, I've never worn the shoulder holster.

I agree that shoulder holsters have a very limited utility, but there are situations where they can be a good option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recently bought a Miami Classic shoulder holster for my Springfield Armory SA 35.

With two 15 round mags in the off side pouch it balances well. The X design distributes the weigh across both shoulders.

It's way more comfortable than the left shoulder holster that I had used in the past.

Have a right side Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB on order for my back up Colt Detective Special.

For me, the Miami Classic works great for driving or sitting.

I was packing two handguns, one on each hip and it was hard on my old back. (71)

This setup works good for old guys with back problems. (ME!)

Virgil B.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a couple of the Bianchi x15. Yes they are a pain but I’m stuck with appendix, chest or a shoulder rig. Any pressure past two clock fires muscles that will stop my forward progress. Kind of a bad surgery, tried to fix it but the damage was done.
Chasing an idiot one night while wearing a Jackass shoulder rig. Running as hard as I could, I thought the 1911 was bouncing quite a bit. Reached over with my right hand and presto! A1911 appeared in my hand. Went back a Bruce Nelson as I got home.
The X15 is useful for hunting but not much else.

Last edited by frank500; 11/30/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have an x-15 for a 29-3 6" and a x-2100 for a 8 3/8 629 for hunting use. Some guys got enuf ass and slim waistline to use belt holsters with effectiness and confidence, good for them. I'll keep my long barreled N frames in those Bianches and they work good for me as they are not my ccw guns used daily. You have to do what works for YOU, like everything else in life. One size fits all is bullchit concept. No I am not an Leo and only speak for myself...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/30/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pabucktail
About the only thing I can add to this is that one should never use a holster that requires two hands to get the gun back into it, and especially one where you'll likely end up pointing the gun at yourself in some way. Years ago I knew of a guy who fatally shot himself at the range due to the combined factors using a shoulder holster and having a postural-instability negligent discharge while trying to re-holster.

I learned a long time ago there are many situations where one must have the ability to get the gun back into the holster as quickly as it comes out. It's amazing how many absolute junk holsters people are willing to put up with. Shoulder holsters have some very limited applications, and I've used them a fair bit, but they are generally not the best idea.

Are you referring to duty belts and holsters?

Because any holster on your belt is going to require two hands to reholster if you're shirt covers the holster.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use one in the rare instance I carry a 3" GP-100. Speed loaders on the off side.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I use one in the rare instance I carry a 3" GP-100. Speed loaders on the off side.

By golly.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Recently bought a Miami Classic shoulder holster for my Springfield Armory SA 35.

With two 15 round mags in the off side pouch it balances well. The X design distributes the weigh across both shoulders.

It's way more comfortable than the left shoulder holster that I had used in the past.

Have a right side Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB on order for my back up Colt Detective Special.

For me, the Miami Classic works great for driving or sitting.

I was packing two handguns, one on each hip and it was hard on my old back. (71)

This setup works good for old guys with back problems. (ME!)

Virgil B.

Alrighty then.

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I recently got one of these:

https://vnsh.com/

Very comfortable, and you can carry any side, appendix, whatever. Just as they claim, it accommodates almost anything, even my S&W 5.7 w/optic. An adjustable velcro retaining strap is included if the particular gun you’re carrying doesn’t fit as tight as you like. The design of the retaining strap isn’t perfect, but among the handguns I tried, only my 3” M63 seemed to need it. Obviously using this, just like any other holster, requires care, some thought, and practice for safe, effective use.

I’ve only worn it over an undershirt so far, above my beltline, and directly in front or weak side under my arm. It’s easy to slide it around from the side to the front for easy access in the car.

One reviewer complained about being scratched by the velcro hooks, but he’s pretty fat, and they make an extension. I’m far from bony, but I have no such issue. 60 day, money back guarantee. If you order one, be prepared to be bombarded with emails about other stuff they sell, but unsubscribing actually works with them.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.