Print Thread
Hop To
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’ll openly admit I’m not a lever action know it all…. With that being said, I took the mag tube off my Marlin 375 today so I could put a “plug” in it to make it a single shot to make it legal for deer hunting in Illinois.

The rifle has always been a bit finicky accuracy wise so today when I had it apart a few things got me to thinking I may have found possible causes behind its accuracy issues.

First off, when I re installed the cap that holds the front of the fore stock the screws both had a lot of tension on them. Meaning it was nearly impossible to get them to line up with the holes in the tenon. I had to put a lot of pressure on the mag tube/fore stock/cap to get it to line up well enough to get the screws started.

Secondly, the mag tube “mount” that is dove tailed into the barrel ( it’s a 3/4 length tube) appeared to have a “little wiggle” to it. I had to put some PB Blaster on the front mag tube screw to get it to come out. When I was tightening the screw on reassembly I noticed some of the PB Blaster was bubbling out from under the dove tail because it was moving a bit when I was tightening the screw.

Do these things seem normal or are there issues here that need addressed?

Thank you in advance.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I saw a video on YouTube just last night. The man had bought a 1974 made 1894 in 44 mag. Seems the bottom of the barrel hadn't been machined enough from the factory and the mag tube had to be bent to get it to line up. He had returned it to the seller and bought another one made in 1979. That one was straight and easy from the factory.

The only two Marlins I've had apart , one 1894 and one 336 were both straight and easy to re-assemble. The 336 was made in 71, I don't know when the 1894 was made.

I think the wiggle in the dovetail is designed in so that you can get it aligned easily. The stress the tube imparts to the barrel will likely cause accuracy issues but the rifle is still probably accurate enough for intended purposes.

Last edited by dave284; 11/27/23.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thx Dave.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Curious if you tried to mount the forend and cap without the mag tube in? If the cap screws line up without pressure it might be a good way to test fire and see if the tube pressure was causing the accuracy issues. Could always leave the tube out since you're limited to a single shot.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you know this, but, when reassembling, start every screw first. Once all are started, tighten and torque with Fat Wrench from receiver to muzzle. If scoped, you will need to re-zero.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.