Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last time i bought a set of tires online they were significantly cheaper than local, prices varied etc.
I tried to buy some this morning and they were all the same price to the penny, including local tire store. And outrageous to boot.
Is there anywhere left that sells them at a discounted price for folks who mount their own?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cooters tire and embroidery in Clarksvegas Tennessee will ship you 4 take off space savers for reasonable.

I will have to look for an address....they phone quit working when the power company removed their service drop.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last 2 sets that I bought came off of local area Craigslist that were brand new take offs from guys putting bigger tires on their trucks.

Local tire guy mounted and balanced them for me for $60 and I gave him my take offs for him to sell as used tires.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son just bought a set of light truck snow tires from Simple Tire, he comparison shopped a lot of sellers. Discount? who knows, tire prices are just nuts.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Most of the big outlets (Tires Plus, Discount Tires, ets, etc) will price match anything you can find on line.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just bought a set of 4 from Sams club.
They can pretty much order whatever you need.
Beat the local tire shop by $500.
In and out the door in under an hour.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to buy tires from Sam's and WM, but quit them once I bought my first set from Discount Tire. Discount Tire might not be the cheapest, but for me they are better than any other tire dealer who I have purchased from, large or small.

WM really annoyed me when 2 from a set of 4 Goodyear Forteras had belts separate within the first 20,000 miles and WM wouldn't honor their warranty that I had purchased when I purchased the tires. In contrast, when I picked up a piece of rebar through the sidewall on a Michelin with 50K on it, Discount Tire replaced tire for the cost of mounting/balancing the new tire.

For me, paying a little more for exponentially better service is worth it for peace of mind that it provides.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never bought any 'yet' myself but the very, very cheapest quality name brand tires I've found so far via internet was termed as "New old stock" meaning they were just that -- brand new but dated as manufactured several ago (also often out of production models -- in this case Pirelli 4 season). Pretty big discount -- As I recall - ballpark around 1/3 +/- new price ...still had original factory paper stick-on labels, *BUT* -- AS IS -- no warranty of any kind --- you get what you got...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought a set of tires from Discount Tire 3 years ago. I'm happy with them. Like said above if you spend some time you may save a few dollars somewhere else. But not much and you can't match their service.

I used to buy from a small independent shop. Last time I was in there pricing tires he explained to me that he used to be able to buy Cooper and a few other brands directly from the factory and could sell them at discounted prices. He told me that Cooper had changed their policy and would only sell to distributers, and he had to order from the same distributors as everyone else. Same price everywhere.

I wasn't ready to buy that day, just getting prices. Went back 2 months later to buy and the guy had retired and sold his inventory to a Mexican Tire Shop down the street. That is when I went to Discount Tire.

You can go to their website and order any tire you want, pay online and set up an appointment time to come in and have them mounted. They only keep a few in stock at each store. Most tires will be there next day, but in some cases may take a week.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yankee neighbor of mine bought some online he claims they won’t round enough or some bull schit

IC B3

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This is the truth: “outrageous to boot”!! I just bought a set through discount, tire, during their Thanksgiving sale, and it still cost me 300 bucks more than a very similar set I bought four years ago. I did a lot of shopping around, too. This is my first time ever with discount tire. We’ll see how it goes. It’s a grab your ankles situation folks!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I looked on Craigs list for tires and bought a set of take offs for 300 bucks. They would have cost 1200 new. And then they mounted them at work for me for free. And they only had about 3000 miles on them. The guy put a lift on his truck and went with huge mudders. Some reall good deals out there if you look for them.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Are the manufacturers still blaming the pandemic or is it the post-pandemic inflation that's to blame? We just bought an off-brand set of new tires for my wife's Honda Odyssey. They were still $600.

I bought a set of Firestone/Bridgestone Revo 3s in July of 2022. They have worn terribly and I suspect I'll have to replace them next summer. I'm already preparing for how much more the replacements will cost then. Should I expect them to be 15% more?

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve used discount tire direct, simple tire and amazon for my last three tire purchases. All fresh tires and easy to find a local shop to install them

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Been pricing tires for months. All of the big name, discount places. A bud has a tire changer so all I'd be out above the shipped tire cost would be for balancing.

Decided I'd put it off long enough, just for grins I priced what I wanted at the local shop. Hell, about 5 bucks more per tire OTD, balanced & all. Not able to beat the system this time.

But dammit! Stock size tire, better grade, with a front end alignment,,,, $1029. shocked

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
https://www.prioritytire.com/ free shipping via FedEx and beat the local tire shops by $200 on a set of full size pickup tires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Last time i bought a set of tires online they were significantly cheaper than local, prices varied etc.
I tried to buy some this morning and they were all the same price to the penny, including local tire store. And outrageous to boot.
Is there anywhere left that sells them at a discounted price for folks who mount their own?

McNair Tire at the "Lawton-Duncan Y" on US Hwy 81 just north of Duncan, Oklahoma.

To see the place, you wouldn't stop on a bet!
The ONLY tire shop I've ever been to where they put the lugnuts back on by "hand". No matter if is a 4 lug VW "Bug" or a multi-lug semi!
Once the new tire is mounted BACK on the vehicle, the attending tech grabs a torque wrench, sets it for the vehicle lugnut spec then a different tech checks that all lugnuts are T-I-G-H-T!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Tirerack.com

Takeoffs from offerup or CL

But it's hard to beat Discount tire, and they also have takeoffs sometimes. Call em up.

Or Costco.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mossy
I’ve used discount tire direct, simple tire and amazon for my last three tire purchases. All fresh tires and easy to find a local shop to install them
So where do you go to warranty them? Pay the labor and shipping to sent them back?
No thanks, I can pull into any Discount, Walmart whatever if I have a problem 1000 miles from home.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lol!
I just bought two motorcycle tires. $433 shipped!!! Still have to get them mounted and balanced. Welcome to Bidenomics.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Something stabbed a hole in one of my well worn already slow leaking Coopers on my Toyota Tundra and being on rough ground it was unseated from the rim when I noticed. Amazon sold me a Firestone Destination A/T2 all terrain truck and SUV tire $60 cheaper Than I could buy local. I pried the old one off the rim and pried the new one on. Had to use the ether and a match trick to make it take the rim.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Discount tire is the best!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No Discount Tire here, so I ordered my most recent sent off Amazon. I was in them for $200 cheaper than Coopers at a local shop and $500 cheaper than Toyos or Nittos from other places.
Last October I bought winter tires for my son’s Nissan Rogue. The dealership was the cheapest place around.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I had good luck with Discount Tire buying tires a few years ago BUT went in for a repair clearly repairable and they refused and gave me a hard sell on a new tire. It was as if the guy just came out of a corporate meeting on increasing revenue by lying to customers. It was egregious. Haven't been back.
Had good luck ordering Michelins from Amazon and finding someone to put them on. Rarely have a problem with Michelins.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat whatever Costco has on rebate, figuring in the warranty, service and convenience.

I’ve done the order online and have someone mount them thing. If you have lots of time and live close to a shop, you’re still spending a lot of time and effort. I’ll only do it for specialty tires my local guy or Costco doesn’t have access to.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Yankee neighbor of mine bought some online he claims they won’t round enough or some bull schit

"they won't round enough" ?

Damn Yanks.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Craigster

Damn Yanks.
He described them as almost square biggest fiasco I’ve heard him tell yet😂

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Damn Yanks.
He described them as almost square biggest fiasco I’ve heard him tell yet😂

Yup, them Yanks are dumber than a box of hammers.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tires are often not round, or uniformly constructed.

Ever see a red or yellow dot on a tire?
That is the most out of round, or lightest point on the tire.
On newer, name brand tires.

You have certainly had tires with both issues,
maybe it wasn't bad
offset by wheel issues,
Or you just didn't notice.

Back in the day....
When you had one that was way out of balance or just not right,
you broke the beads and spun the tire 180 degrees.
That frequently helped.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Tires are often not round, or uniformly constructed.

Ever see a red or yellow dot on a tire?
That is the most out of round, or lightest point on the tire.
On newer, name brand tires.

You have certainly had tires with both issues,
maybe it wasn't bad
offset by wheel issues,
Or you just didn't notice.

Back in the day....
When you had one that was way out of balance or just not right,
you broke the beads and spun the tire 180 degrees.
That frequently helped.

Thanks for the info, Les.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

New tires, out of round?

Perfect Circle?: Out-of-Round Tires, Though Rare, Deserve a Second Look

TIRE TERMINOLOGY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Damn Yanks.

Must not have been an Atlas "The Round Tire" of the 60's..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Put up what size and what need you have and I will look around for you...

Stuff like "265/75/16 for a Dodge diesel that I take down some muddy road on occasion"...

That kinda thing...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CowEater
https://www.prioritytire.com/ free shipping via FedEx and beat the local tire shops by $200 on a set of full size pickup tires.

Just went Priority tire website. $340 each, exactly the same price as discount, tirerack, simple, local store...
I'm going to go get them at Costco. They have Firestone on sale for $207.
I just don't understand what happened- its along the lines of price fixing and collusion.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I buy a lot of brand new take- offs but typically. OEM tires are not very good. Take Michelin Primacy for example- straight up price point tire.

I have 2 brand new Falken Wildpeak AT3; 275/70R18.
I used them as spares driving back and forth to Alaska.i never had to use them. I figured just buy 2 more and remount these. $720 for 2 10 ply tires. I'm better off buying four new 6 plies and just putting these 10's on my other truck.

NRA Benefactor Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
So many places I checked & they all had the same price. Sounds like MAP, just like buying a Glock. The cheapest price might be the same most anywhere & it be hell or luck to find it cheaper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't put 6 plys on ANY truck.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I buy my tires from my local farm coop.
Because of the gravel roads we drive daily I run 10 ply tires on both my pickup and the wife's Yukon. I believe both were over $1200.00 per vehicle when last I bought new tires.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I used to think that until i put 10 plies out on my 2017.
They cost 4 mpg immediately. I'm willing to take my chances.
Many years ago i made a traffic stop on a SRW F350 with a gooseneck stock trailer. He had 6 plies ion the truck. They were bulging pretty good.
He grossed out at 35,000 over the scale. He had 9,000# on his rear axle. Trailer was completely full of rough stock.
He wasn't too happy when i told him he was done for the day.
Those wimpy 6 ply tires never did pop!

NRA Benefactor Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thank OPs for posting...

Did some digging and found an awesome deal for myself on some Es.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Hard to beat whatever Costco has on rebate, figuring in the warranty, service and convenience.

I’ve done the order online and have someone mount them thing. If you have lots of time and live close to a shop, you’re still spending a lot of time and effort. I’ll only do it for specialty tires my local guy or Costco doesn’t have access to.

My brother just bought a full set of oversized's for his Tacoma from Costco, and he's a really tight shopper.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Costco!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

You all and your darn Costco.

100+ miles for us, ass raped on turnpike fees to get there.
Pay to shop!

Seriously, I wanna hit one someday. It's just too far, too much cost to go, too much
buy in. For someplace that takes 4 or 5 hours and we would only go once or twice a year.

I'm jealous of those who have one within their normal shopping area.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Many years ago i made a traffic stop on a SRW F350 with a gooseneck stock trailer. He had 6 plies ion the truck. They were bulging pretty good.
He grossed out at 35,000 over the scale. He had 9,000# on his rear axle. Trailer was completely full of rough stock.

You made my argument for me, and don't even realize it. If you have a truck, and are going to use it for truck stuff, the last fugging thing you worry about is gas mileage and the next is 'ride'. But if the most you're going to haul is the wifes new washer and dryer, or her groceries, you go.......

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I buy a lot of brand new take- offs but typically. OEM tires are not very good. Take Michelin Primacy for example- straight up price point tire.

I used them as spares driving back and forth to Alaska.i never had to use them. I figured just buy 2 more and remount these. $720 for 2 10 ply tires. I'm better off buying four new 6 plies and just putting these 10's on my other truck.

I just bought a set of the exact same tire and size, man I'm loving them over the oem duratracs. Got them for 1500 installed. Falkens come with 55k warranty and road hazard, don't have to buy it separate. Cheapest I could find locally, got quotes as high as 1700.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone like the Goodyear Mylar tires?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

That’s the tires I bought off Amazon and put on my truck. I like them so far.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone like the Goodyear Mylar tires?
That’s all we use for tire swings at the river.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought BF Goodrich mud tires, and at 50mph it sounded like I was being followed by a UFO.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Costco is my go to. They offer free rotations, free repairs, free rebalancing and will replace any tire that can't be repaired within 4 or 5 years of buying it. I have known people who picked up a nail in the sidewall on a 4x4 and Costco replaced all 4 tires so the tread wear was even.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought Falken Z rated tires for my Porsche (when I had one) from Tirerack, and one would not balance after three tries. Since then bought tires from Discount and Amazon with good luck. Just got a set for wife's mini-van for extra cheap, with new TPMS stems, cost about half what the nearby Goodyear place wanted.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

You made my argument for me, and don't even realize it. If you have a truck, and are going to use it for truck stuff, the last fugging thing you worry about is gas mileage and the next is 'ride'. But if the most you're going to haul is the wifes new washer and dryer, or her groceries, you go.......

I drive back and forth to Alaska, 3800 miles. 4mpg is huge.
Never had an issue with any of my tires. A ½ ton truck doesn't need 10 ply for 90% of its mission. Plus this truck i just bought only has a little 3.7 V6, not exactly loaded with extra power.

NRA Benefactor Member

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Takes me over a hour to get to Costco. No big deal!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Dutch

My brother just bought a full set of oversized's for his Tacoma from Costco, and he's a really tight shopper.

My son is in the business and says it's pretty hard to beat Costco for tire prices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did Amazon for my last three sets this past year no issues no problems I do my own tires to include studing... And re-studing 😋[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] oh yeah , I have to add that once Amazon ships me a set of tires ...for free by the way... they don't do it again and they pull the ad if I like the tires that show sometimes I quickly buy another set before the ads pulled! Lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have ordered 3 sets from Walmart.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I picked up a set of like new dealer Take-offs mounted on F150 Lariat wheels minus the tpms sensors for 6.
That even cheaper than Costco!😆
I'll bust the beads, install the new stems and call it good.

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 21, 48 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,387
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.