Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.rt.com/news/588297-us-military-command-closes-secret-tavern/

The John Wayne Saloon has reportedly been shut down after a newspaper raised questions about alcohol use at NORAD

The US general overseeing Washington’s defenses against nuclear bombers and other threats by air has reportedly ordered the shutdown of a secret saloon after a major media outlet raised questions about daytime drinking inside the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

US Air Force General Glen VanHerck closed the bar last week and demanded an investigation into how NORAD officers were allowed to operate a clandestine drinking joint during work hours, USA Today reported on Wednesday. Known as the John Wayne Saloon – named after an iconic American actor known for tough-guy roles – the tavern was located at Peterson Space Force Base in Colorado and served its patrons by invitation only, the newspaper said.

A John Wayne poster was affixed to the tavern’s door, and visitors had to enter a keypad code to gain access. “Nearby, lieutenant colonels and majors planned future NORAD operations,” USA Today said, citing unidentified officers and civilian employees familiar with the saloon. “Also at hand: computers with access to the Pentagon’s secret email system.”

VanHerck told the newspaper that he had confirmed the presence of hard liquor, beer and a refrigerator in a locked office space with a John Wayne poster inside the NORAD headquarters. He also confirmed that the facility had access to “classified networks for planning purposes.”

The NORAD commander added that the presence of alcohol was “certainly something that was concerning enough to me to direct a commander’s-directed investigation.” The probe will determine whether alcohol use inside the NORAD headquarters compromised America’s national security, VanHerck said.

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) studies have shown that military service is America’s heaviest-drinking occupation. Troops consume alcohol on 130 days out of the year, on average, and they binge-drink 41 times annually, according to an analysis of CDC data released in 2019.

Alcohol use is prohibited in US military offices without special permission. Waivers are sometimes granted for such events as retirement celebrations and holiday parties.

NORAD is responsible for overseeing the airspace defenses of both the US and Canada. The US Northern Command (NORTHCOM), which coordinates the Pentagon’s response to attacks and natural disasters in North America, is also headquartered at Peterson Space Force Base.

VanHerck said he hadn’t heard about any concerns regarding on-the-job drinking at NORAD prior to USA Today’s inquiry. He claimed credit for being “transparent” when the newspaper brought the secret tavern to his attention. “I would tell the people in the United States and Canada: trust the commands that defend them each and every day,” the general said.

Earlier this year, VanHerck fired his NORTHCOM operations chief, US Army Major General Joseph Lestorti, citing “a loss of trust and confidence.” Several officials told USA Today that the ousted general was known for being gruff, demanding and intolerant of workplace alcohol use.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somehow I don't have a problem with a officers club on base. If it wasn't causing a problem leave it alone.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I believe that the correct term is "Day drinking".

But that is beside the point. The fact of the matter is that day drinking is just an after work drink when you work the night shift...

But the media doesn't care as long as they get a headline...

And when someone works at a place like Norad.... An OC makes it harder for reporters and spies to talk to employees...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 12/01/23.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't blame them for taking a swig sometimes. Hell, I don't even make an excuse to anyone if I want a swig of something regardless of what time of day it is. Because: 1. I'm an adult. 2. I'm an American. 3. What part of 1 or 2 is hard to understand?

It's not like they had a big water bong sitting in the middle of the room with lava lamps and strobe lights flashing wasting electricity or something.

This article sounds like someone making a mountain out of a mole hill. Oh the horror.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't drink, ever. But if I had their job I bet I would.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

The John Wayne Saloon has reportedly been shut down after a newspaper raised questions about alcohol use at NORAD

The US general overseeing Washington’s defenses against nuclear bombers and other threats by air has reportedly ordered the shutdown of a secret saloon after a major media outlet raised questions about daytime drinking inside the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

US Air Force General Glen VanHerck closed the bar last week and demanded an investigation into how NORAD officers were allowed to operate a clandestine drinking joint during work hours, USA Today reported on Wednesday. Known as the John Wayne Saloon – named after an iconic American actor known for tough-guy roles – the tavern was located at Peterson Space Force Base in Colorado and served its patrons by invitation only, the newspaper said.

A John Wayne poster was affixed to the tavern’s door, and visitors had to enter a keypad code to gain access. “Nearby, lieutenant colonels and majors planned future NORAD operations,” USA Today said, citing unidentified officers and civilian employees familiar with the saloon. “Also at hand: computers with access to the Pentagon’s secret email system.”

VanHerck told the newspaper that he had confirmed the presence of hard liquor, beer and a refrigerator in a locked office space with a John Wayne poster inside the NORAD headquarters. He also confirmed that the facility had access to “classified networks for planning purposes.”

The NORAD commander added that the presence of alcohol was “certainly something that was concerning enough to me to direct a commander’s-directed investigation.” The probe will determine whether alcohol use inside the NORAD headquarters compromised America’s national security, VanHerck said.

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) studies have shown that military service is America’s heaviest-drinking occupation. Troops consume alcohol on 130 days out of the year, on average, and they binge-drink 41 times annually, according to an analysis of CDC data released in 2019.

Alcohol use is prohibited in US military offices without special permission. Waivers are sometimes granted for such events as retirement celebrations and holiday parties.

NORAD is responsible for overseeing the airspace defenses of both the US and Canada. The US Northern Command (NORTHCOM), which coordinates the Pentagon’s response to attacks and natural disasters in North America, is also headquartered at Peterson Space Force Base.

VanHerck said he hadn’t heard about any concerns regarding on-the-job drinking at NORAD prior to USA Today’s inquiry. He claimed credit for being “transparent” when the newspaper brought the secret tavern to his attention. “I would tell the people in the United States and Canada: trust the commands that defend them each and every day,” the general said.

Earlier this year, VanHerck fired his NORTHCOM operations chief, US Army Major General Joseph Lestorti, citing “a loss of trust and confidence.” Several officials told USA Today that the ousted general was known for being gruff, demanding and intolerant of workplace alcohol use.
JFC
Why are we posting crap from a Russian news agency ?
At least we can see that the Russians are always watching what goes on at NORAD.

RT (formerly Russia Today or Rossiya Segodnya; Russian: Россия Сегодня)[9] is a Russian state-controlled[1] international news television network funded by the Russian government.[16][17] It operates pay television and free-to-air channels directed to audiences outside of Russia, as well as providing Internet content in Russian, English, Spanish, French, German and Arabic.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most you can glean from that article is that there was a locked office with some booze inside, and they're trying to stretch that into Sodom and Gomorrah.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
JFC
At least we can see that the Russians are always watching what goes on at NORAD.

RT (formerly Russia Today or Rossiya Segodnya; Russian: Россия Сегодня)[9] is a Russian state-controlled[1] international news television network funded by the Russian government.[16][17] It operates pay television and free-to-air channels directed to audiences outside of Russia, as well as providing Internet content in Russian, English, Spanish, French, German and Arabic.

"Hey, I hooked a big one!! He's fighting hard, too!!"

LoLoLoLoL!!!! I knew I would trigger at least one person along the way LMAO!!!!

At least it didn't come from CNN, right?? Right?????

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every USN base has a CPO Club and the "liquid lunch" is a long standing Navy Tradition. Had more than a few beers during working hrs myself.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JFC

Weak dude.
Nest time look and see where it's coming from.
Don't post crap from the enemy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

JFC

But you trust NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN to provide objective reports? After the past 10 years?!?!!!!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Give it up dude.
You can't win this.
At least now you know "RT" means "Russia Today" a Russian news service.

You're welcome

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JFC

Weak dude.

Why is Russia my "enemy"? The Soviet Union ceased to exist on Dec. 26, 1991. The Russian Supreme Court just told the LGBT faggots that they're considered an extremist organization and are not welcome in Russia.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
JFC

Weak dude.

Why is Russia my "enemy"? The Soviet Union ceased to exist on Dec. 26, 1991. The Russian Supreme Court just told the LGBT faggots that they're considered an extremist organization and are not welcome in Russia.

+1 what’s the problem with Russia?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last I checked (today) our enemy was operating out of Washington DC.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait, they're only drinking 130 days out of the year? Why are they wasting the other 235 days?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well they'd have really flipped their lids to know we had a bar at the Inneringen Pershing CAS site way back when. Standing order was only two beers allowed per soldier per day after hours and you were not pulling duty with the missiles of BTOC.

Funny thing was, if you didn't get there early enough you allocated two beers were already gone! LOL The NCOIC of the club was a crusty old E-7 that had a Wiener Dog that loved to rub one out if someone left a coat on the bar......

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.