Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My friend Paul manages the fly fishing department at Anchorage Bass Pro. He fishes the Kenai a lot and can help you out.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fortymile
My friend Paul manages the fly fishing department at Anchorage Bass Pro. He fishes the Kenai a lot and can help you out.

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My fly rod is about 60' long, with about 6" - maybe less- mesh. works good. Fshing done in 1/2 to 2 tides, for the year, while I drink coffee and read. Concrete 1/2 block and 5' rebar driven into the mud for weight. Keeps it on the bottom, more or less.

I don't waste a bunch of time flaying the water either. Checking net in surf, in a canoe is right sporty, sometimes.

YMMV........ smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get him a 6 or 7wt, the echo ion is a solid and durable rod. A great price performer for a reel is the Redington rise.

Anything heavier will be a lot to learn with. Good luck!

Gun control means hitting your target.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......

...but Sitka dear, it could work out well when the small mouth run is in full swing. As I recall, they generally run the last weekend of moose season. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......

...but Sitka dear, it could work out well when the small mouth run is in full swing. As I recall, they generally run the last weekend of moose season. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
bhtr
No, you absolutely got it right!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mostly walking, unguided, fishing from where the Russian meets the Kenai and up to start. Unless he hooks up with someone who knows more than he does about the river.

Great intention that certainly is, a specific flyrod for a specific need. There are several gems of wisdom above (as to functionality via size of a rod) by those that have any amount of experience fishing the Russian River. Some posting have seemed to miss the above post quote as seen by their responses.

Fly fishing the Russian (and thus the upper Kenai) is not difficult, or does it demand a master's in "rocket science."
It is varied in water type and surroundings however. A "walk-in" fisherman does not need a 10 foot rod to ply the waters the OP mentioned, nor is a Spey rod required to roll cast here. Sight fishing is very possible on the Russian, and learning how to present what the fish want (or will hit) at anytime is far more important than the size of the line the rod is capable of handling. One needs simply understand what line weight is the optimum size for casting the flys in the size needed to ply the water. It helps to understand that the rod simply utilizes a certain weight of line to cast a given size of fly and leader. The "reel" is what fights the fish.

I am guessing that the OP has made a decision by now, and I applaud him for it. It is a great gift to a young man that has mentioned his desire to expand his enjoyment of fishing into the "fly fishing realm." The son's desire of choice of water is a very good one, having more than a small amount of fly fishing history.

The Russian was rated as one of the top ten Rainbow Trout fisheries in the world right after WWII. Affluent European fishers flocked to it's clear waters, as did many notable American and foreign writers of the era. Sitka' father, though more of a Hunting writer, may have even authored an article on this gem of a river in the 60' or 70's. Please correct me on this if I am incorrect, Sitka...

To Snowwolfe,

Well done sir...

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mostly walking, unguided, fishing from where the Russian meets the Kenai and up to start. Unless he hooks up with someone who knows more than he does about the river.

Great intention that certainly is, a specific flyrod for a specific need. There are several gems of wisdom above (as to functionality via size of a rod) by those that have any amount of experience fishing the Russian River. Some posting have seemed to miss the above post quote as seen by their responses.

Fly fishing the Russian (and thus the upper Kenai) is not difficult, or does it demand a master's in "rocket science."
It is varied in water type and surroundings however. A "walk-in" fisherman does not need a 10 foot rod to ply the waters the OP mentioned, nor is a Spey rod required to roll cast here. Sight fishing is very possible on the Russian, and learning how to present what the fish want (or will hit) at anytime is far more important than the size of the line the rod is capable of handling. One needs simply understand what line weight is the optimum size for casting the flys in the size needed to ply the water. It helps to understand that the rod simply utilizes a certain weight of line to cast a given size of fly and leader. The "reel" is what fights the fish.

I am guessing that the OP has made a decision by now, and I applaud him for it. It is a great gift to a young man that has mentioned his desire to expand his enjoyment of fishing into the "fly fishing realm." The son's desire of choice of water is a very good one, having more than a small amount of fly fishing history.

The Russian was rated as one of the top ten Rainbow Trout fisheries in the world right after WWII. Affluent European fishers flocked to it's clear waters, as did many notable American and foreign writers of the era. Sitka' father, though more of a Hunting writer, may have even authored an article on this gem of a river in the 60' or 70's. Please correct me on this if I am incorrect, Sitka...

To Snowwolfe,

Well done sir...
Excellent post, pard.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I promise you if your son decides that he wants more out of the Kenai, that a 7wt is the minimum he should have. Fishing from shore is a different beast than when you’re in a boat. He won’t feel overgunned with a 7-8wt if he ties into a big fish, plus it’s better for the fish if releasing. My old Sage TCR 890 was not too much for these trout I caught from shore on walk-in trips to the middle river. If your son wants to know a few good walk-in places on the upper and middle, let me know.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very nice!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That second one is sure pretty!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I

That is a nice offer Ptarmigan, make no mistake. That's the Alaska spirit.

Please don't take the lad after spawners though. Hard on the fishery...

*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Late February-early March is the latest I fish them. Then I like to head down with all the guys that refuse to fish the spawners and go catch steelhead! Go figure! LOL!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I use an 8 weight on the kenai. Once a big rainbow gets out in the fast current it can easily take out 50 yards of backing. Get a decent reel too like a lamson Good luck trying to stop its run and reel it in with a 6 weight.

Cystal meth in chartruse, orange and pink San Juan worm seem to produce well

You can jump in the boat and chase it if you have a buddy

Last edited by ribka; 01/02/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I

Late February-early March is the latest I fish them. Then I like to head down with all the guys that refuse to fish the spawners and go catch steelhead! Go figure! LOL!

ever fish the anchor for steelhead in September?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I

It sure is a generous and kind offer. I will forward it to my son.
Thank you very much

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
I

ever fish the anchor for steelhead in September?

I used to, but the last time I did some guys pulled into the little parking spot while I was getting ready and then take off running to beat me to the hole. I'm not into that! There's other places to fish for steelhead that get less traffic.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The depth of the creek can be very important to "lessening" competition for Steelhead...

*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by dukxdog
I used a Sage 9 foot 7wt on the Kenai for Rainbows. It was perfect weight for throwing Flesh flies, streamers and nymphing with GloBugs.

I fished from an inflatable boat with a 10hp motor and from the bank below the salmon snaggers.

The banks are lined with trees so back casting can be difficult. Roll casting works best. The current isn't conducive to wading.

I got a 14' Spey rod for roll casting next time.

I got some real nice Rainbows and a few Reds that took my fly even though not feeding.
I agree right up to the point about reds not "feeding"... but that does not mean they will not readily take the right flies. Most fly shops are now carrying flies tied specifically for reds to take. A Fish Alaska magazine this past year includes tying instructions on a fly I designed and have been using for reds for a number of years. I rarely snag them, and never intentionally. I did grow up snagging willingly.
We will talk again this red season. Need to try different patterns I suspect. OTOH might have to have people that can fish them correctly too. And room to fish. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by fortymile

OooooKKKaaayyyyy.......
Not sure the reason for that. Despite the name that particular store doesn't sell a lot of bass gear. Paul has lived in AK since about 1993, long before Bass Pro Shops built a store there, and knows what works on the Kenai, and also sells a bunch of stuff that will work. He doesn't mind pointing out items they don't carry but also work well. He's a helpful source of information in Anchorage. That's all, carry on.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.