Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stormin Norman;
Good evening or near enough to it for us both, I hope the day went acceptably and you're well.

Regarding hunting feral cattle, somewhere in the back of my memory there was an article in a magazine I read about feral Herefords on an island in Alaska.

Apparently they went feral quite quickly, or at least that's how I'm remembering it.

When I used to move cattle for my rancher buddy, another chap had picked up a few cattle from up in the Cariboo Chilcotin that obviously weren't used to people, horses or for sure being herded.

That was an interesting and frustrating day to say the least and they were theoretically "tame" cattle.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Apparently there's a small herd of feral llamas somewhere in MT. Several years ago, it was all over the web about a NY hunter who shot one for an elk. He didn't do anything illegal but he wasted an expensive tag...and his dignity.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I seen a black panther the other day

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If you find some feral cows, let me know smile The sheep are all yours.

Got a freezer full of black angus range beef right now. Toughest damn cow I ever have eaten. About gotta boil it to chew it.

900 lb feral fence busting heifer my buddy had to put down. Couldn't get it within a mile of a trailer to send off for dog food, so he shot it and called me. If I didn't want it he was gonna drag her off to the bone holler.

Actually it's not bad, tastes great, just a bit tough because it was never finished out. But if it wasn't free I'd have never fooled with it. Talk about LEAN beef. Got a bunch yet to grind up for burger and I had to buy fat to add to it. Feral cattle don't make juicy tender steaks.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have some huge feral billy goats that roam thru our lease sometimes. Have never wanted to shoot one even though the land owner says to. Don't want to get caught up in a dispute with a neighbor who decides to claim them.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If you find some feral cows, let me know smile The sheep are all yours.

Got a freezer full of black angus range beef right now. Toughest damn cow I ever have eaten. About gotta boil it to chew it.

900 lb feral fence busting heifer my buddy had to put down. Couldn't get it within a mile of a trailer to send off for dog food, so he shot it and called me. If I didn't want it he was gonna drag her off to the bone holler.

Actually it's not bad, tastes great, just a bit tough because it was never finished out. But if it wasn't free I'd have never fooled with it. Talk about LEAN beef. Got a bunch yet to grind up for burger and I had to buy fat to add to it. Feral cattle don't make juicy tender steaks.
Ever heard of stress and adrenaline? Run them for a while and the meat gets really tough. Chase an elk over a couple ridges and it'll be the same way. It takes a while for them to settle down and for the adrenaline and increased lactic acid to work it's way out of the meat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.