-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a buddy that had a christmass tree farm that I would work there for the season, and for the past three years someone would steel a tree from the row of trees that was close to the road. well on the fourth year we knew he took it one week before christmass we waited for him let him take the tree and followed him home. Much to our surprise it was in the nice part of town one of those McMansions, My buddy
was fuming and we were thinking of ways to get back at him, so the next night he told me to drop him off near the house. I said don't do anything stupid he said you will see, he got out of the car with a tote bag and said pick me up in 10 min. I picked him up 10 min later and I asked what did you do he said you'l see, I dropped him off at home and then went home myself wondering what he did. The next morning I drove by the house hoping to see if I could figure out what he had done, and much to my surprise there were two cop cars there. I tried not to look to not look suspicious but when I saw what I saw I could not help but look. And what I saw was he had cut down a 40 to 50 foot evergreen tree that was in the middle of the yard that was perfectly groomed and the centrepiece of his landscapeing.

Last edited by granitestate1; 12/01/23.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Christmas Tree?!

Just that

Happy Valentime’s

Yep. Axe, chain saw .. shot one off at the base with a 12 gauge (my dad wasn't happy but my mom lost her sh-it laughing) ..

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yep two loads of copper coated 6's for a tree and the 22 for the mistletoe . The wife is allergic to the cedar so we haven't had a fresh tree since we got married but I still prefer the live one to the fake stuff.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup but that was a long time ago.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by RHClark
For many years I would take the kids down to the creek behind our house and shoot the top out of a nice Spruce for Christmas. I used a 7mm Rem mag and rarely took 3 shots. No worries about the bullets because our hills are so steep that I was always shooting into the opposite hill.

I bet ya'll can't "top" that.

RHClark;
Good evening to you sir, I hope your part of the planet had a decent first day of the last month of the year and you're well.

We can't "top that" exactly, as it surely took us more than 3 shots, but one year in the early '80's it went something like this.

A buddy's grandfather ended up being one of my hunting mentors, who'd tell fantastic stories of the Peace River country - just south of where the Chadwick ram came out of - back in the Great Depression.

Jake had a 95 in .30-40 with which he said he'd killed at least 50 moose, about that many grizzly bears and too many deer and black bears to remember.

Pursuant to this tale however, he said he'd always go top a tree for Christmas with it and thus our inspiration.

Buddy and his wife, our boss and his wife and my better half and I were up in two trucks looking for trees and decided on one to take for the boss's house which had a bit of a vaulted ceiling.

The tree was picked, the spot to shoot agreed upon and out came three .22's.

After at least a box each had been expended, the boss pulled out his 788 .308 and then two or possibly a third shot knocked it down.

When it landed and we walked up to it, of course we realized we'd misjudged the height of the tree by, well a whole lot as it was at least 20' long.

We sawed off what we thought was enough and then when we got to the boss's house we sawed off some more after putting a tape measure to the task.

There were years we cut our own up on the mountain behind the house after that and some years we bought one as there were usually some for sale from different charities.

A few years back we decided on an artificial tree and honestly it's a bit less work, but I do miss the smell of a nice fresh tree in the house. It's not the same without that smell....

Best to you all.

Dwayne

You guys know that they have these things called "saws" right??
grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never in my life bought a tree......

I just steal one from the salvation army..... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
We used to grow them when I was kid, I've cut truckloads of 'em. If you buy a balsam or fraser fir it came from this area.

They grow ALOT of Balsam fir Christmas trees in Maine. We used to grow them when I was a kid.

Did not know that, thanks for clarifying.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Every year possible, until several years after they left home.
We go down to the daughter's for Christmas, not many visitors, so we quit Christmas trees a few years back.
Hard to do for the enjoyment of just us. Saves re-arranging and clean up, though.

If I knew a young family that needed one, I could bring one in, though. (Or more, if needed)
Some nice pinons out at the place - and getting too thick.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The luckiest woman in the world and I were just talking about this today. The local volunteer fire dept. used to have some property a few miles out of town. I remember going out there with my dad and brother and crawling under a tree to cut it down. Then we would go inside the camp there and have a soda out od the Coke machine that was like a chest freezer. Great memories. Our fire dept. still sells trees wreaths and other things at the bus garage every year but there are still a few places where you can cut your own.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Heym06
Yep. Doesn't everybody except city dwellers!

It would be a half day travel (to/from) the closest conifer tree for us! 🙂 memtb
Bummer!

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RHClark
For many years I would take the kids down to the creek behind our house and shoot the top out of a nice Spruce for Christmas. I used a 7mm Rem mag and rarely took 3 shots. No worries about the bullets because our hills are so steep that I was always shooting into the opposite hill.

I bet ya'll can't "top" that.

Many yers of cutting our own trees. When we were kids, for a few years, my brother and I would take his Savage 24 to get a tree. We’d find a pretty good Scotch pine and blast it off at the base with 20 gauge shot loads at several inches. Took a surprising number of shots to get them to break free.

One year while crossing the marsh to get to the woods we flushed a pheasant which I nailed and we dragged mit home in the tree. Great memories…

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,135
Posts18,523,225
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.