-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am considering a Savage Model 11 which has the detachable magazine. My experience with Savage rifles is limited to two rifles, so I thought I'd find out a little about them.

Are they consistently reliable, or are they a crapshoot, or are they garbage? I'm not at all interested in custom bottom metal like the long range guys seem to prefer.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They sometimes need the mag lips tuned, depending on cartridge. The 350 Legend mags are not set correctly from the factory.

Pretty easy, with metal magazines.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.

I'm looking at cartridges in the .308 family, if that makes any difference.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Mine work fine. They are gen 1 of the bottom release style. The newer mags are more durable. The early version of the current bottom release had issues with the locking tab breaking. Newer version has a spring loaded tab that seems to work reliably.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I am considering a Savage Model 11 which has the detachable magazine. My experience with Savage rifles is limited to two rifles, so I thought I'd find out a little about them.

Are they consistently reliable, or are they a crapshoot, or are they garbage? I'm not at all interested in custom bottom metal like the long range guys seem to prefer.

You asking about the plastic metal mags with the chinsy plastic locking tab? Like the ones found on the Trophy Hunter model? They work, but are no where near as smooth as a Tikka magazine. You just looking for cheap or what? I'd go with a RAR Ranch before messing with the savage. To each their own.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
grin grin

You asking about the plastic metal mags with the chinsy plastic locking tab? Like the ones found on the Trophy Hunter model? They work, but are no where near as smooth as a Tikka magazine. You just looking for cheap or what? I'd go with a RAR Ranch before messing with the savage. To each their own.

In this case, it's more about the specific cartridge. Not a lot in .260 available these days. I'd take a Ruger American in .260 any day.

Know where I can get one?

grin

Don't be the darkness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.