Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Anybody else use one?

I've been carrying one for about six months now. Easy enough to sharpen. Does not seem to hold an edge real long but plenty good for day-today carry.

After I got it I threw it in the pool for two days. I wear it in the salt water all the time. It has seen a couple cycles in the wash. Not the slightest sign of corrosion.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/salt-series

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I haven't messed with any of the H1 variants. I toyed off and on with getting one of the LC200N models though. LC200N is is much better improvement in edge retention over H1.

I did buy one of the Native 5 models when they released the Salt version in MagnaCut. Great knife. Love the steel. Not a huge fan of the back-lock though.

They've now announced a new wave of Salt models to existing lineups. The two that really caught my eye were the Para 3 and PM2, both in MagnaCut. I'll definitely get a PM2 Salt when they become available.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Where are you seeing those new ones, War Eagle?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They are part of the 2023 Reveal 14. Spyderco launches their new stuff in waves throughout the year, each new launch batch is a "reveal." Usually takes several months for product to be available at distributors though.

https://catalog.spyderco.com/spyderco-reveal-14-2023/?page=13

The LC200N variants I mentioned are pretty common. Look for the green handled versions of the Salt line...the Native 5 Salt in MagnaCut is pretty widely available at most dealers too. It hit shelves earlier this year.

Just go to the major distributors and search "Spyderco Salt" and it should return a pretty long list.

Yellow or black handles are usually the H1 steel (though they are moving to H2 due to availability issues). Green handles are usually LC200N.

There's some exceptions to that though, as most of the models they are introducing in MagnaCut are being released with yellow handles.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Awesome.

Thank you.

I really like the looks of this Catcherman. I may have to get one.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/de...Salt-Green-LC200N-Sprint-Run-trade-/2488

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Agreed. I think it's good too that it's ground at 0.070". Too many "fillet knives" get ground to 0.090-0.100" and I think they end as more of a boner than a fillet.

The Manix LW Salt is another I have my eye on.

Being a fisherman on the Gulf Coast, I love seeing the highly corrosion resistant steels...even more so when they hold an edge too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a FFG plain edge Pacific Salt 2, which is the green handled LC200N version. I lowered the primary sharpening angle to 30 degrees (15 dps) and micro bevel at 40.

It is easy to sharpen and takes a pretty good edge. The edge does seem to roll rather than chip and it doesn’t retain an edge as long as a harder steel. On the flip side, it responds really well to stropping or a few strokes on a sharpmaker to straighten out the micro bevel. I’d rather have a knife that takes a keen edge and needs semi-regular attention to stay scary sharp than a super steel knife that stays 1/2 dull forever and is a bear to sharpen.

I’ve been playing around with a dual grit edge and it seems to enhance the edge holding capability without giving up slicing ability. It would probably be even better from an edge holding perspective in Magnacut, but the LC200N works very well and is essentially impossible to rust.

I also use an endura, but I prefer the pacific salt 2. It has a larger spydie hole and is lighter due to the liner-less construction.

Last edited by K1500; 11/19/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H1 is soft but really work hardens and is supposed to be a beast in fully serrated guise. It’s pretty soft for a plain edge, so LC200N is quite a bit better for a PE knife. I’m guessing H2 will be similar to H1 in that regard, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by K1500; 11/19/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I picked up a Spyderco auto knife, an Autonomy, that came in LC200N steel. It has been fishing a few times, and performed well. Zero rust of course. It's a big blade, and does well cleaning fish.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/20/23.

Sam......

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Spyderco makes a great knife. I once dropped one in the ocean. Found it two days later and not a spot rust.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Bought a coworker one some years back. It saw a lot of use around strong oxidizers and chemicals. Always looked good.

Couldn’t say on edge holding.

I had a vg10 spyderco at the same time, same environment. Plus a lot of salt fishing, plug cutting herring, etc…It didn’t rust or corrode either.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.