Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dfarmann
Cost was $125.00 each.

You should learn to cut it up yourself!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dfarmann
Cost was $125.00 each.

You should learn to cut it up yourself!!!

Yearling buck & dry nanny doe;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yield, less heart, 2 sets of inners & 1 8" piece of back strap & 2 pieces of sirloin tip;

Less than a day, all told.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by MAC
Process your own meat. That way you know that you get every scrap and you know how it was handled. Cutting a deer isn't hard and doesn't take long. I can cut, grind and vacuum pack 3 deer in about 6 hrs and that is doing it all myself with nothing but a knife and a grinder.
Do you trim any of it or does it go right from the bone to the grinder or vacuum bag?

I trim. It really isnt very difficult. People are afraid to try and do it themselves.

2 hours a deer is about what it takes me if I focus on it.

The guys on youtube can debone a deer extremely fast.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I know how to do it, I just apparently don't know how to do it quickly while also trimming off everything I don't want to ingest.

I have been cutting my own deer, elk, bear, bison, pronghorn, hogs etc... for well over 40 years. Cut enough of them and you get pretty quick. Last year I cut these 3 whitetails in less than 6 hrs from start to clean up.

The flanks, ribs, shanks and necks were in 2 coolers.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Another factor is are you getting your deer??

Main reason we process all our own.

-Ken

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is a bunch of shrinkage from hoof to freezer naturally and the effort to clean the bones can add a few pounds.
I have always processed my own so I know, First that it is MY deer, and that I'm getting the most meat possible.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually get 40-45 lbs of boneless meat from whitetail does and smaller bucks. I've gotten up to 65-70 lbs from mature bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
It is easy to drop one off and pick it up already processed though in today’s busy world.

JMO - but if one can make time for the hunting, only seems right to make time for the processing - or at the very least break it down so you know the weight of what you’re handing off for grinding.

In regards to the OP and what he got back seems pretty fair.

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Of you like eating tendons, silver skin, and bone, then you got shorted. If not, sounds about right to me.

Also, do that stuff yourself man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Processors steel your precious deer meat......

Please

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Last week I cut up good size Wisconsin doe and got 31 lbs. Yesterday I shot a fawn . Blew his front shoulder half off and got 15 lbs. The shoulder and other parts were wasted. The shoulder almost fell off.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem
Last week I cut up good size Wisconsin doe and got 31 lbs. Yesterday I shot a fawn . Blew his front shoulder half off and got 15 lbs. The shoulder and other parts were wasted. The shoulder almost fell off.

what did you hit it with

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

what did you hit it with

My thoughts too. Who cares about the shoulder. Details for the rifle loonies lol

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I do all my own too........I hate to take a deer to a processor and have to "buy it back" to get my meat( or someone else's).......I converted an old upright coke machine into a deer cooler. I have electric cuber and grinder. this way I KNOW I'm eating MY deer. Processing one takes me about 2 hrs. When I cut it up I make 2 piles. One for cube and one for ground. I remove ALL the silver skin and end up with all lean meat. My equipment has paid for itself many times over. I make summer sausage/jerky/cube steak and stew meat. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just shoot them and give them away, it is much faster.

Elk, I give half to a friend for the other half cut and wrapped. I would rather have my teeth drilled without novacane than cut up dead animals…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Elk, I give half to a friend for the other half cut and wrapped. I would rather have my teeth drilled without novacane than cut up dead animals…
If you hunt for the wrong reasons I guess that's what you do. If I didn't want meat, I wouldn't hunt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As in exchange game meat for something of value? 87-6-206. Unlawful sale of game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal. (1) A person may not purposely or knowingly sell, purchase, or exchange all or part of any game fish, bird, game animal, or fur-bearing animal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

If you hunt for the wrong reasons I guess that's what you do. If I didn't want meat, I wouldn't hunt

I don’t have to qualify how or what I hunt to you or anyone else. If you think all hunting is about eating everything you hunt, you have missed most of what hunting really encompasses….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
It is easy to drop one off and pick it up already processed though in today’s busy world.

JMO - but if one can make time for the hunting, only seems right to make time for the processing - or at the very least break it down so you know the weight of what you’re handing off for grinding.

In regards to the OP and what he got back seems pretty fair.

Revisiting this thread and seen your reply. I processed my own for several years, even had a refrigerator set up for aging. We may start doing it again in the future as I may retire soon and time may be more available.

Three weeks left of the rifle season here and one of us may take a doe to grind into burger and sausage. We have the grinder, vacuum packer a host of specialty knives and the know how. With that being said, I find it very convenient nowadays to drop them off where they can hang for a few days to a couple of weeks. Then pick them up vacuum chamber sealed, labeled and frozen ready to go in the freezer.

For a couple of deer we shot last year we specified not to freeze because we were, and did, pressure can them.

As to getting my own deer back, I've never suspected that I didn't. I believe that if I didn't, it would be an honest mistake by the processor. Or I would find someone that I trusted.

As for breaking them down and then taking them to the processor, either of the two do not even want you to gut them. They say it takes to much of their time trying to clean up the hair, dirt, leaves and general junk that a field dressed deer brought to them will almost always have.
For us, shot dead to processor is about 30-45 minutes max. I'm good with that.

Have a great day and shoot big uns'.

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 12/10/23.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Must have been one of those 9mm'ers that FJB says will blow the lungs right out of the body....

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.