Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just shoot them and give them away, it is much faster.

Elk, I give half to a friend for the other half cut and wrapped. I would rather have my teeth drilled without novacane than cut up dead animals…
If you hunt for the wrong reasons I guess that's what you do. If I didn't want meat, I wouldn't hunt

I don’t have to qualify how or what I hunt to you or anyone else. If you think all hunting is about eating everything you hunt, you have missed most of what hunting really encompasses….

At first I thought you were just joking and being sarcastic. What exactly does hunting encompass in your mind? I have fully enjoyed your post with your knowledge and pictures of vintage guns in beautiful country. But now I guess I'm stumped as to why you hunt exactly. This is being asked in a respectful manner BTW.

For me, I don't let an arrow fly or rifle bark without full intentions of processing that animal for my table. There has been many occasions that I killed deer for families in need and actually processed it for them. I think that's where your going, but to kill for a picture? I don't think your that way shrap.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10

Elk, I give half to a friend for the other half cut and wrapped. I would rather have my teeth drilled without novacane than cut up dead animals…
If you hunt for the wrong reasons I guess that's what you do. If I didn't want meat, I wouldn't hunt

I don’t have to qualify how or what I hunt to you or anyone else. If you think all hunting is about eating everything you hunt, you have missed most of what hunting really encompasses….

At first I thought you were just joking and being sarcastic. What exactly does hunting encompass in your mind? I have fully enjoyed your post with your knowledge and pictures of vintage guns in beautiful country. But now I guess I'm stumped as to why you hunt exactly. This is being asked in a respectful manner BTW.

For me, I don't let an arrow fly or rifle bark without full intentions of processing that animal for my table. There has been many occasions that I killed deer for families in need and actually processed it for them. I think that's where your going, but to kill for a picture? I don't think your that way shrap.

Do you eat coyotes? What about crows or prairie dogs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt because I like to hunt. I like old guns and try to take as much game with them as I can. I tag every animal I kill and none goes to waste.

When I get questioned by someone on the campfire as to my reasons, I am not going to qualify it with a defense lawyer. I am ethical and few are as successful with the myriad of guns to successfully take game. I do it because I love it and share it with those that appreciate it.

But for some reason a few people try to show a weakness in how or what I do, I don’t have time for that. As I said, I don’t like cutting up game, but I can and I have. Then some idiot tries to make it look unlawful to give game away and there are hundreds of game animals donated every year to those that need and appreciate it.

Trading half an elk for the benefit of getting my half cut and wrapped isn’t wrong or illegal. Why is it necessary to criticize? This is a thread about cutting meat, not how you shoot it or what you do with it…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You made it sound like you don't use the meat. Apparently you do however

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheKid

Have you ever drove up on one of your cows with her azz eaten out and still alive while trying to calve? Those are pest and a nuisance. Predators who kill calves and take money out of my pocket. No I don't eat them. Nice smart azz reply though.

Shrapnel, that's why I asked respectively. I was just taught to have a knife ready when the game I hunted died.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A yearling is probably only 45-50 lbs dressed. Your three year old probably only 110 dressed. Your yield is about right. In Michigan size varies a lot. Deer in the southern part of the state/lower peninsula can be bigger if they are on private farm land but are usually between 100-140 dressed for adult does. Bucks can get over 200 eating corn or beans but are normally around 150-180. Upper Peninsula deer can get bigger as you get more on the latitudes similar to Canada and more in boreal forests. Racks aren’t huge, kind of like what you’re going to see in northern Maine.

At any rate I’ve shot plenty of does for crop damage on a large potato farm in Michigan years ago and have been surprised when the meat was put on a scale and the actual numbers come up.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt because I like to hunt. I like old guns and try to take as much game with them as I can. I tag every animal I kill and none goes to waste.

When I get questioned by someone on the campfire as to my reasons, I am not going to qualify it with a defense lawyer. I am ethical and few are as successful with the myriad of guns to successfully take game. I do it because I love it and share it with those that appreciate it.

But for some reason a few people try to show a weakness in how or what I do, I don’t have time for that. As I said, I don’t like cutting up game, but I can and I have. Then some idiot tries to make it look unlawful to give game away and there are hundreds of game animals donated every year to those that need and appreciate it.

Trading half an elk for the benefit of getting my half cut and wrapped isn’t wrong or illegal. Why is it necessary to criticize? This is a thread about cutting meat, not how you shoot it or what you do with it…
An idiot who knows a HitnRun when he sees it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
Originally Posted by ihookem
Last week I cut up good size Wisconsin doe and got 31 lbs. Yesterday I shot a fawn . Blew his front shoulder half off and got 15 lbs. The shoulder and other parts were wasted. The shoulder almost fell off.

what did you hit it with

My thoughts too. Who cares about the shoulder. Details for the rifle loonies lol

I shot it at about 20 yds quartering towards me . i used a .243 Win . with fairly mild reloads , 40.5 gr. of IMR 4350 and a 100 gr. Remington bullet that I bought for $10 a hundred a long time ago... There was almost nothing left of the whole front shoulder. I found the bullet though and it weighs 58 gr.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Another factor is are you getting your deer??

That is huge. I bone my own out. I take great care in the handling of the meat. I pick out all of the hair and remove most of the sinew. I damn sure don't let piss and grass bag contents come in contact with it. When I take it in to have it ground and have sausage made, I want my meat back.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Have you ever drove up on one of your cows with her azz eaten out and still alive while trying to calve? Those are pest and a nuisance. Predators who kill calves and take money out of my pocket. No I don't eat them. Nice smart azz reply though.

Shrapnel, that's why I asked respectively. I was just taught to have a knife ready when the game I hunted died.
Calm down John Dutton. 🤠 I was just busting your chops a little because you said you never shoot an animal you don’t plan to cut up. Nobody but that Meateater guy and dudes on Rokslide eat coyotes.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Tenderloins and blackstraps always come out before going to the butcher.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot lots of game that we used, but I have shot at least that much that I gave away. What's is the problem with some of you folks? Sharing game with folks in need or too old to hunt any more is bad? Unbelievable. Anyone who believes that is not worth bothering with.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Calm down John Dutton. 🤠 I was just busting your chops a little because you said you never shoot an animal you don’t plan to cut up. Nobody but that Meateater guy and dudes on Rokslide eat coyotes.

I get it. Prairie dogs is my only vice. I like the ones that go airborne!

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Little touchy and hypocritical aren't you considering your "holier than thou" post in the "Lucky Good or Cheating" thread.....LMAO

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.