Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
We deer hunt in western Iowa and the .35 Whelen is legal there now as of a couple of years ago. I have been using the .35 Whelen for years, in N. America, Canada and twice to Africa. Probably my favorite cartridge overall. I have pretty much settled on the 225 grain bullet weight for the .35. My handloads are right about 2675 fps. 2700 fps sounds pretty hot for 250 grain bullets. I have taken game from steinbok to moose and it has worked wonderfully. The moose was in Alberta at a laser measured 410 yards so the Whelen can reach out when needed but it is best from 300 yards in, IMO

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I borrowed a Whelen once for hogs that was setup on a Ruger 77 with a 26” Dougie barrel and 225 TSXs. To say it was hell on hogs is an understatement.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF is a Dougie barrel?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Douglas

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
It has become the rifle I grab most often for hunting. It sits next to a Nosler M21 300 Win Mag and a Rem 700 BDL 270.
Both very proven head collectors. The Whelen punches a big hole through and through that leaks blood like no other but it seems to not to ruin a bunch of meat.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Originally Posted by JPro
Original law also required that the rifle design had to date back to a certain year. Basic result was that the encore wasn’t legal. Since the CVA wasn’t around then the H&R was about the only commonly available option unless you wanted to fork over the money for a browning. Most people bought 45-70s but the 444 made more sense to me. Most shot/shoot Leverevolution ammo. I thought the handi rifles were cheap turds until I sighted in my dad’s. Quickly decided it beat the hell out of cleaning a muzzleloader and bought one that week.

T/C filed lawsuits over being excluded and the law was changed along with the caliber restriction. Once the law shifted to .35 cal minimum many people sold their bolt action 270/30-06/etc and bought 35 Whelen Encores and hunted with them year round. Now days the CVA scout is probably the most common choice.

I do know several folks that rarely shoot past 150-200yds who have also gone to using their Whelen single shots for much of their modern gun season. They like the knockdown and the bigger blood trails. I can't argue with that.

Yep. Also a lot of guys that only own one hunting rifle. Seems strange to me but whatever makes them happy. lol

Funny thing about your 200 yard comment is that I want to upgrade from the 444 to the Whelen specifically for 200 - 300 yard shots. I tend to hunt pipelines a lot early in the season and would prefer a little flatter trajectory. Plus the Scouts I’ve messed with have much better triggers than the handi rifles.

My Handi Rifle 45-70 has an amazing trigger. I've owned a bunch of Handi's and none had a trigger close to this. I think somebody had it stoned or something

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by JPro
Original law also required that the rifle design had to date back to a certain year. Basic result was that the encore wasn’t legal. Since the CVA wasn’t around then the H&R was about the only commonly available option unless you wanted to fork over the money for a browning. Most people bought 45-70s but the 444 made more sense to me. Most shot/shoot Leverevolution ammo. I thought the handi rifles were cheap turds until I sighted in my dad’s. Quickly decided it beat the hell out of cleaning a muzzleloader and bought one that week.

T/C filed lawsuits over being excluded and the law was changed along with the caliber restriction. Once the law shifted to .35 cal minimum many people sold their bolt action 270/30-06/etc and bought 35 Whelen Encores and hunted with them year round. Now days the CVA scout is probably the most common choice.

I do know several folks that rarely shoot past 150-200yds who have also gone to using their Whelen single shots for much of their modern gun season. They like the knockdown and the bigger blood trails. I can't argue with that.

Yep. Also a lot of guys that only own one hunting rifle. Seems strange to me but whatever makes them happy. lol

Funny thing about your 200 yard comment is that I want to upgrade from the 444 to the Whelen specifically for 200 - 300 yard shots. I tend to hunt pipelines a lot early in the season and would prefer a little flatter trajectory. Plus the Scouts I’ve messed with have much better triggers than the handi rifles.

My Handi Rifle 45-70 has an amazing trigger. I've owned a bunch of Handi's and none had a trigger close to this. I think somebody had it stoned or something

I’m jealous. Mine isn’t as bad as some. When I bought it I made them bring out every 444 they had so I could pick the best. 😁. Still sucks compared to my bolt guns or even ar.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m betting a smith would be able to clean it up pretty quick and easy.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by brinky72
I’m betting a smith would be able to clean it up pretty quick and easy.

At the time I bought it I didn’t trust any of the local guys. There was one guy recommended on a handi rifle forum I found but I never felt like shipping it off. Probably time to ask around again….

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hear you LSU fan! I grew up using junk rifles, shotguns, all had terrible triggers. I was surprised that even the high dollar Mod 94 Classic Carbine 30-30 I bought myself at 16, barely had a good trigger. I never had a H&R Handi Rifle ( I've played with four) that had a good trigger either. Its worth shipping one off to a reputable Smith! Good luck to you.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I hear you LSU fan! I grew up using junk rifles, shotguns, all had terrible triggers. I was surprised that even the high dollar Mod 94 Classic Carbine 30-30 I bought myself at 16, barely had a good trigger. I never had a H&R Handi Rifle ( I've played with four) that had a good trigger either. Its worth shipping one off to a reputable Smith! Good luck to you.

You’re not wrong but by the time I pay for shipping and the smith work I’m probably half way to the cost of a new CVA Scout. At least that’s how I keep justifying it to myself. Lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm an idiot. Had a browning 1895 in whelen. Sold it. Have a rem 750 carbine. 7600 too. Had another 7600 and a 700 classic

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
We’ve all been there. There isn’t enough bandwidth to list all the rifles I should have never sold.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Found 2 full boxes of 250 corelocs. Looks like I paid 12.95 for one and 19.95 for the other lol

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Not anymore. The good old days. I remember paying $6.99 for a box of 170 grain 30-30 shells.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
.35 Whelen AI, 225gr SGK’s over Varget has accounted for a bunch of bucks for me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good job Jack.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
.35 Whelen AI, 225gr SGK’s over Varget has accounted for a bunch of bucks for me.

I am not a Rem guy, but your's is beyond cool!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"It's interesting to know that as I've only been doing the primitive hunt for the last few years. I always thought that the "exposed hammer" requirement was annoying since it eliminated a Ruger #1, Blaser K95, Merkel K5, etc. for no apparent good reason."

It's more than just annoying as it makes absolutely no sense. The Ruger #1 is visually a clone of the Farquharsen (sp) of the late 1800s that was made popular but gunmakers like Holland and Holland, Westley Richards and Daniel Fraser. There is absolutely no reason they should not be allowed to be used in those restricted areas other than political stupidity which has been rather rampant these last few years.
I hunted with Ruger #1s for years starting in IIRC 1975. Last hunt I did with one was 2009 because the private ranch guided hunt would not allow me using one. Too many lost animals was their reasoning. Funny thing ever elk and the one antelope I took off those places was a one shot kill, most DRT. The most any went after the shot was maybe 30 yards. I always figured If I ever did another hunt on those ranches I'd just bring the one shooter of choice for the hunt and say, "Sorry guys. My house got burglarized while I was at the range and this is the only gun I own anymore." Worst they could do was not let me hunt and I'd damn well demand full refund of my payment or else.
I I lived in one of the states with that restriction I'd be bugging Ruger to sue like T/C did and maybe try to get a class action suit going at the same time. I doubt Ruger would bother as their bean counters would like to drop the #1s completely. A pox on them.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Somehow I don't see ever see trading my m77rs in 35 Whelen for a cva anything or handi rifle.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1936M71, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.