Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So can’t post pic from phone, but along with the three inline black powder I won this rifle in Remington 7 MM mag, will be interesting to see how it is, reloaded for others for years, but never had one of my own.
It will join my other mags, in 375 H&H, two 300 win mags.

Parker Hale Bolt Action Rifle in 7mm Rem Mag c/w Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7 x 40 Scope.

Nice condition throughout.. Stock does have some use marks but expected .. nothing
detracts from the quality of this gun.. Parker Hale made the 1200 super Magnum in
7mm Rem Mag, It is a true Mauser action. Not your average off the shelf rifle.

It is stamped Parker- Hale Birmingham ontop of the barrel.

Parker Hale out of Birmingham England - Parker-Hale Ltd. was a British firearms,
air rifle and firearms accessory manufacturer, located in the Gun Quarter of the city
of Birmingham, England. It was founded by Alfred Gray Parker and Arthur Hale in 1890.

Alfred Gray Parker founded a rifle manufacturing company in 1890. In 1910, he
invited his nephew, Alfred Thomas Corbyn Hale, to become a partner in the limited
liability company, with the shares being taken up by members of both the Parker and
Hale families. A first catalogue was issued of arms and shooting accessories and,
though limited in its range, clearly showed the company's growing trend for the
development of accessories.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
PH put out some nice Mausers. Looking forward to pics.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice looking rifle!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, that looks like a solid hunting rifle!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Judging from the notches on the butt pad, the rifle has plenty of good stories to tell.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Judging from the notches on the butt pad, the rifle has plenty of good stories to tell.

……indeed - looks like it was owned by a “serious” hunter - very cool!!

Penndog

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very cool rifle. Probably in the minority here (because it's not a Tikka grin) but I'd take one of these, old school metal and walnut, any day of the week over most of what gets sold new today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Classic hunting rifle, in an outstanding cartridge. You did well. FN 98 action or a copy of it I believe.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice, congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No flies on that, at all…..hope it shoots as good as it looks….

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I finally got around to giving the rifle a good look, outside looks good for a well used rifle.
The bore is good, but I think there may be some pitting, there is definitely wear in the throat and carbon, brushes and patches were coming out black, used some wipe out and it helped clean it up some, took out the copper, still want to try some of my J&B bore cleaner in it, but even though I have three jars, ranged if I can find them.
Also can’t find any of my Kroil I have.
Will be interesting to see how it shoots before doing much else to it.
Trigger is not bad.
Will eventually take it all apart to see if it is bedded or not.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That’s a nice stock. All I’ve seen before came from the Weatherby wannabe era. Yours must be an early one.

I don’t think they manufactured the actions, but rather imported those. Wonder who made this one? Most were Santa Barbara actions according to the WWW.

Good luck with that barrel.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It’s really great series of rifles and I have one that I enjoy . It’s too bad no one has written a book with all the info that is sporadic on the internet

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Got a partial box of federal 175 grain bullets, going to take the empty brass I got in other auctions and size them to fit, some of the fired cases are snug going in, so I will use those to set the dies, like to make cases close to chamber size.

Should work good if they will just chamber, then see how they are after shooting them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Partsman;
Good afternoon, I hope all is well for you folks north of us and your snow has melted too as it has here.

Somehow I missed this earlier, but as noted already it looks to be a solid rifle.

The only thing I can think of to check on a Parker Hale is make sure there's no cracks in the trigger housing.

On many and perhaps most of them, they had a propriety trigger which was made of some sort of aluminum I believe. If the housing breaks, on at least one I had in the shop, it'd go off without being asked to do so.

It's an easy fix with a Timney or trigger of choice, but do take a look at it when you have it apart.

Good luck with the new rifle and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Dwayne, will be taking it apart and looking it over, hopefully today.

Rain has washed all our snow away, so now have time to look it over.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I sold one here years ago, it was my FIL’s. I believe it was a model 2100 in 30-06. One knowledgeable member contacted me saying while of good quality, they were put together from a mish-mash of parts and finding replacement pieces if something goes wrong could be problematic. It ended up selling for $400

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
cotis;
Good afternoon my cyber friend, I hope you're all having a decent week down in your part of the world.

With the understanding that I'm the farthest thing from an expert on anything, here's a bit of a deep dive into what I sort of found out about Parker Hale rifles.

There were at least 3 different lines that I've looked at, one being the Santa Barbara Mauser action rifles, the Midland series which was it's own action built to take Springfield bolts if I'm remembering them right and then converted .303 Lee Enfield rifles which had the metal cleaned up, walnut stocks installed and were drilled and tapped for a reasonably well made scope mount.

With the understanding I'm not a trained gunsmith, just a guy who works on stocks and minor mechanical issues as a side hustle and hobby, the common and later ones we saw here were built from that Santa Barbara commercial Mauser actions so solid bridge on the left side - no thumb cut out like the military 98.

Honestly I've never seen one of the Santa Barbara made rifles fail because of inferior parts. They were in my opinion at least as well machined as many of the Mark X Mauser actions I looked at and much better than some of the later dated wartime actions. Oh and I still put together perfectly functional firearms with those wartime produced actions.

There was one .308 I recall that needed the extractor and feed ramp tweaked so it'd feed, but that's all I can remember for them not working - other than the trigger housing cracked as mentioned to Parts.

The Parker Hale made or at least marked trigger was a bit of an oddity in that the rear action screw goes through it if I'm remembering right. They then became part of the bedding almost which needs to be paid attention to when changing out the trigger, but that makes sense when one has it apart and can look at it.

I mentioned I've replaced at least a couple, possibly 3 or 4 of them with aftermarket triggers over the years. Mostly Timney because we had a good supply up here in Edmonton.

One thing I will say is that if you ever get a Parker Hale with a detachable magazine, be careful that you don't loose it because they're proverbial hen's teeth. Because of how the bottom of the receiver gets milled to accept the detachable mag, they can't easily be converted back into a non-detachable mag either.

There was one .30-06 I knew about that the owner picked up for $150 because there was no magazine and when we saw them at gun shows every 5 years they were going for $150!

Most of the firearm repair work that I've done over the years has been stock work and repair. The Parker Hale stocks gave almost no issues whereas I'd have to check my records to see how many Husky variants I've repaired with cracked wrists because the tang backed up into it too many times.

The barrels on them are usually decent. There's a retired gunsmith on here "greydog" who used to shoot bench rest as well and was known as a very fine smith. His opinion to me when I asked was that they made good straight barrels, though the metal might be a wee bit on the soft side but that he didn't consider that necessarily a bad thing.

I've had two Parker Hale barrels installed on rifles I've put together, one is still in use as one of two main rifles I'll hunt with every fall.

Hopefully that's useful to you or someone out there in the ether space who runs across one.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/07/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.