Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bsa what rifle is that? If you aren't careful about the pics you post the short barrel whiners club (swbc) gonna ban your ass..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
HR IC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My local range has targets at 1-600 yards. I practice at 400 2-3 times a month with multiple rifles in 223/5.56, 243,6.5 grendel, 260,7-08,308, 7RM, 35 Whelen. Obviously the whelen drops the most, but when a 225 partition whacks that steel you can see the ability lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bsa what rifle is that? If you aren't careful about the pics you post the short barrel whiners club (swbc) gonna ban your ass..mb

The one on the closest bench is my Winchester heavy barrel varmint chambered in 308 win. The rifle on the far bench is my Tikka CTR in Mcmillan A3 Edge stock, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think that was where I asked, how many guys have actually shot both cartridges side by side. It doesn't even have to be out to 1,000 yards, but even to 400 yards. See which one performs better, under the same conditions. I believe the OP was about which one is actually more inherently accurate, or which one shoots better. As I and others have said, the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically for longrange target shooting. Developed by creedmoor sports and partnered with Hornady. The naysayers can deny that, but that was the intent of the cartridge. It edges out the 308 winchester in performance, as that is what it was designed to do. Guys that continue to deny that, are living in a dreamers world.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I buy that theory bsa and like both . I have a win 88 and a rem 760 in 308 they didn't make them in 6.5's but have plenty of bolt guns in both and like them. People on the fire only see virtue in sticking their opinions up everyone else ass are the problem.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why the hell is this in a forum dedicated to reloading?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good post BSA.👍

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drop_point

Perhaps because it is clearly relevant.

Liberalism is a cancer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't see the 6.5 creedmoor edging out the 308 winchester anywhere. Hopefully im not "dreaming" here.

This is a big game rifle reloading forum, which the 6.5 obviously will not edge out the 308 winchester, especially on really big game.

But if we must get caught up on this long range and bench-only stuff: Has anyone on here actually shot a fast twist, heavy barrel 308 winchester using 200+ grain bullets, against the usual 6.5 creedmoor bullets?

One guy claimed the 200 grain bergers bucked winds better out at 1800 yds, than anything the 6.5 creed shoots (read his video description). He claimed his biggest challenge, was the WINDS, not the minor differences in trajectory.

I made sure to comment in the video: "the 6.5 douch nozzle will never exceed the 308"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

You asked for cartridge comparison, nothing about reloading.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Reloading is clearly part of comparing cartridges for those of us who reload. 😂

Liberalism is a cancer
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yet you didn't mention reloading at all. Why not if that is where your interest lies?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Having never shot the .308 or the 6.5 CM to 1800 yards, but have shot them both to 1000 yards using several different bullets and powder combinations, my experience has been the 308 is like shooting a mortar compared to the 6.5 CM with comparable bullets. YMMA Rio7

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Yet you didn't mention reloading at all. Why not if that is where your interest lies?

Because I trust many people have a broad understanding that encompasses many elements of the topic. Including reloading and otherwise.

Liberalism is a cancer
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I buy that theory bsa and like both . I have a win 88 and a rem 760 in 308 they didn't make them in 6.5's but have plenty of bolt guns in both and like them. People on the fire only see virtue in sticking their opinions up everyone else ass are the problem.

I agree. I think it's because they are very biased because that is what they use and know. Like I said, they probably don't actually compare them side by side, in real world conditions. The reason that 308 was on one bench, and the 6.5 on the other is because I really wanted it to whoop up on the 6.5, yet still I shoot with no bias. I was hoping to take it to a longrange match, but it would be a handicap. That damn winchester shoots pretty good though. Until the wind started howling. I was even running a 175 SMK in the 308, to try to make things as fair as possible. The rifle loves that bullet. I'd also like to point out that I shoot with some guys that run the 308w in competition. They do well with it, but I have seen them fall apart, when the wind blows. Then on the other spectrum, you have the guys running the 6mm's giving them schidt (friendly of course). Those fast 6's shine in bad conditions. We hear it often that they don't even have to adjust their hold, then I look down at my 6.5 and think maybe I should try a 6GT.

These comparisons are always fun, but then it becomes a pissing match because the guys that only use one will get mad, because we point out why one is a little better than the other.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RIO7
Having never shot the .308 or the 6.5 CM to 1800 yards, but have shot them both to 1000 yards using several different bullets and powder combinations, my experience has been the 308 is like shooting a mortar compared to the 6.5 CM with comparable bullets. YMMA Rio7

That is what it seems like to me as well. Great description RIO7.. Maybe I'm using the wrong bullet? Figured a 175 SMK would be about right in the little case, yet still have a good BC. Besides, I'm maxed out on the 20 moa rail and NF scope at 1,000. That's another issue when running the darling 308win. Step up to a 200gr pill to gain BC, and that issue gets even worse.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post BSA.👍

Thanks Dixie Rebel. All I can do is share my experiences. I do a lot of side by side comparisons. To me, that tells me the most about different rifles, cartridges, loads, bullet weights, scopes, etc. etc... I shoot a lot in the wind, in really cold temps and hot weather as well. Besides shooting with a lot of pretty good long range competitors. Nothing tells the story like a bullet on target...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like the 30-06 a point in favor to me is inexpensive brass. Lot of 308 floating around for a good price. Local Scheels had 50 ct boxes of Hornady 6.5 C for $43 a box the other day that would be $172 for 200 pcs. I didn't have a real need for anymore but when I spotted 200 once fired Hornady 6.5 C cases for 50 bucks I bought them. Like 308's 6.5 C is everywhere you look and you know that's a big plus..mb

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We shot yesterday at 620yds on 6”, 8” and 12” steel.

1 - 6.5 cm tikka 20” ctr - 140 eldm @ 2530fps
1 - 6arc savage 18” tactical- 105 hpbt @ 2490fps
2 - 308 win Rem 700 heavy barrel and an ar10 of some flavor. 168 smk in both

The guy with the 308’s struggled the most, winds were 12-20mph shifting quarter to and broadside right to left. Obviously other factors come into play when shooting but he has 3 hits in 30 shots on the 12” plate. He didn’t have much experience in longer range shooting but I gave him my ctr and he went 9/9 with it, he’d never shot the rifle prior to that.

One of my .308’s is going to be a 6cm soon.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
We shot yesterday at 620yds on 6”, 8” and 12” steel.

1 - 6.5 cm tikka 20” ctr - 140 eldm @ 2530fps
1 - 6arc savage 18” tactical- 105 hpbt @ 2490fps
2 - 308 win Rem 700 heavy barrel and an ar10 of some flavor. 168 smk in both

The guy with the 308’s struggled the most, winds were 12-20mph shifting quarter to and broadside right to left. Obviously other factors come into play when shooting but he has 3 hits in 30 shots on the 12” plate. He didn’t have much experience in longer range shooting but I gave him my ctr and he went 9/9 with it, he’d never shot the rifle prior to that.

One of my .308’s is going to be a 6cm soon.

Good post H. Be aware that the 6cm barrel life is very short. Some of the guys I shoot with have had them, then ultimately go back to the 6.5. I'm talking about 1,100 rounds and that's about it. One of the big downfalls to the fast 6mm's. You should also look into the 6GT vs. the 6CM. That GT is a pretty wicked little cartridge.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That is what it seems like to me as well. Great description RIO7.. Maybe I'm using the wrong bullet? Figured a 175 SMK would be about right in the little case, yet still have a good BC. Besides, I'm maxed out on the 20 moa rail and NF scope at 1,000. That's another issue when running the darling 308win. Step up to a 200gr pill to gain BC, and that issue gets even worse.

What velocity are you getting with that 175? I think you should need roughly 40 moa of up, so you should only need 20 out of the scope.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 16penny, 24 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,747
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.