Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Another FWIW Moment - Shot 150 rounds of Eley Team over a Garmin Xero this weekend. I am seriously impressed with this ammo. It shot the best groups and the velocity SD (8 ft/s) was consistently the lowest of any of the other premium ammo we shot. SK Rifle Match wasn't bad (16 ft/s) but the groups did open up with SK. In fact, I really haven't had much luck with SK. They market the crap out of their ammo with the YouTube crowd but my experience isn't great with it. I found Norma TAC-22 was more accurate than SK and the SD was a little better at half the cost.

Anyhow, always a fun weekend when the groups are small.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 12/11/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the info. I was looking for that type of thing in the thread I started. I appreciate it though!! It's always a great weekend when groups are tight, and you can get out and shoot. I hate to poo poo on SK, but I've ran into some lots of SK standard plus that were real bad. Even my American eagle shot better. I eventually switched to Eley target. I've also had bad lots of Tac22. I got some a while back (last year), that you can see the bullet in flight. It shoots in an arc like a BB gun. Groups are very dismal and disappointing as well. Those don't shoot well in any rifle I have man. I gave some to my buddy that shoots a glock 44, and at least they go bang.

I'll bet that Garmin chrono is nice too. How is that working for you?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I started out with an Oehler 35P back in the 1980's and was overjoyed with the consistency and accuracy of the chrono. Was invaluable in milking the most out of my handloads. Then Lab Radar came out and I bailed on the Oehler. The Lab Radar was so much easier than having to fumble with the Oehler at the range.

All I can say is, once I shot over the Garmin, my Lab Radar was out the door. A good friend of mine is now enjoying it.

The Garmin is stupidly simple, takes 30 seconds to set up and hasn't missed a single freaking shot. It's never missed on numerous pistol and rifle calibers. I've even shot my Marauder .22 PCP over it. I feel like I've gone from the buggy whips of chrono technology to an F1 racer. Best $600 I've spent on gun $hit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice!! That Garmin sounds like the schidt. I'm still using very old school tech when it comes to chrono's. You'd laugh if you saw the one I have been using forever. You have to shoot through little cardboard inserts, and the window (that you shoot through) on those cards is only about 2x3". I'll upgrade eventually and that Garmin looks like the ticket.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In the world of marine electronics Garmin has carved out one hell of a reputation. Early on Garmin like Humminbird units were considered very cheap and frankly nothing to depend on. But Garmin engineers just kept improving their products and soon were competing if not surpassing the big name pricier products including radar. My Wife was a QA engineer for aerospace electronic parts and the circuit boards are where you can easily spot inferior components and assembly work. We bought a side scan fish finder years ago and she just had to split the case and put the board under a microscope. She was impressed. Based on her opinion I’d say anything Garmin makes today is most likely very good quality. And I know from handling yacht loss claims on casualties like lightning hits Garmin’s service department will work hard to repair their products. Lightning like any power surge events almost always destroys the power supply unit but very few manufacturers will even attempt repairs — buy a new one is their common response. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Garmin product.

Rick

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Where can you find a Garmin Xero for $600……..sounds like I need one but the ones I’ve seen are closer to $1000. May have to try some Eley Team - have heard other good reports about it and my experience with SK was good 20 years ago but the more recent stuff I’ve tried has been easily outperformed by Norma Tac.

Thanks!
PennDog

Edited - found them for $600 but all are back ordered at this time - I’ll wait until after the Holidays and get one - sound awesome - thanks for the information on the Garmin!

Last edited by PennDog; 12/12/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They are on backorder everywhere I searched. But everyone is still listing them at $599.00.

I bought mine the day after the official announcement and received it about 4 weeks later.

Demand is huge for them, and will probably be one of Garmins top products - and for good reason. This is a game changer for the shooting sports.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back to Eley Team, where are y'all finding it at a good price? Killough has it at $13.99 which is only a dollar less than Eley Black box match.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bought 1,000 rounds from SGAmmo. $279 with free shipping.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So about the same money per brick, but SGAmmo is the better deal with free shipping
Thanks

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Eley team is good stuff a friend issues it in matches.
SK is good stuff also! Just because it doesn’t shoot good in your gun does not mean it’s bad ammo lol. I’ve had 10’s of thousands of dollars worth of 22 rifles and have yet to see one that would shoot, all brands… eley, lapua, SK, Norma, and RWS. Usually you have to find what your gun likes and go with that! If your SK is red box rifle match send it to me and I’ll prove this to ya lol.

R
R
As BODKIN84 said, you have to find what your rifle likes. The ammo varies so much, despite cost, even lot to lot in same manufacturer varies tremendously!! I shoot (2) preA Winchester 52s for matches. The only ammo I have found that shoots possibles out of BOTH rifles is RWS 50. My go to for 1 is SK Biathalon Sport. The other likes Eley Match. Find an ammo that shoots in your rifle, note lot# , and buy as much of that lot as you can!!

rmcc

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Another FWIW Moment - Shot 150 rounds of Eley Team over a Garmin Xero this weekend. I am seriously impressed with this ammo. It shot the best groups and the velocity SD (8 ft/s) was consistently the lowest of any of the other premium ammo we shot. SK Rifle Match wasn't bad (16 ft/s) but the groups did open up with SK. In fact, I really haven't had much luck with SK. They market the crap out of their ammo with the YouTube crowd but my experience isn't great with it. I found Norma TAC-22 was more accurate than SK and the SD was a little better at half the cost.

Sounds like a good time it does. laugh

My experience with Norma Tac and SK Standard +/Wolf MT is completely opposite of yours. Tac is OK and usually shoots a bit better than CCI SV, but SK runs circles around both.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bought a case yrs ago of a killer lot of Team from Bob Collins that shoot's right with my killer lot's of Tenex and Black.No experiance with today's Team. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The best,pre-dimple Russian Olimp-R...phenominal!!!! [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 12/24/23.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the posting. I have 5 different Eleys to run over the labradar after the holidays. Glad I got some of the team to try!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bodkin84
Eley team is good stuff a friend issues it in matches.
SK is good stuff also! Just because it doesn’t shoot good in your gun does not mean it’s bad ammo lol. I’ve had 10’s of thousands of dollars worth of 22 rifles and have yet to see one that would shoot, all brands… eley, lapua, SK, Norma, and RWS. Usually you have to find what your gun likes and go with that! If your SK is red box rifle match send it to me and I’ll prove this to ya lol.

I've never really cared too much about sd and es numbers because my chronograph does not give me those numbers. So I shoot targets with different ammo, and let that tell me what the rifles like. With that being said, the op is right about checking for small ES/SD numbers with this 22lr ammo. Maybe the small es, sd numbers may result in shooting more consistently in more rifles? Conversely, if you find a poor lot of ammo that has crap numbers, they may shoot like crap in a number of rifles. Only makes sense in my mind. Like I said before, that new Garmin sounds like a great chronograph. Probably well worth the investment.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey STRSWilson, I hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas and happy new year!!! Thanks again buddy!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Sounds like a good time it does. laugh

My experience with Norma Tac and SK Standard +/Wolf MT is completely opposite of yours. Tac is OK and usually shoots a bit better than CCI SV, but SK runs circles around both.

I do like the ragged hole target pics. Go over to the Bergara thread and show them how it's done. Please...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sqweeler
The best,pre-dimple Russian Olimp-R...phenominal!!!! [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've only known Olimp with the dimple (as far back as the 1980's)...and it was/is phenomenal stuff. I happen to know where a full case resides (as well as a case of 911-B) but I'm sworn to secrecy!!
I believe this case was imported by OK. Note the stenciled label; "Olymp". I've seen the exterior labelled both ways, but I can't recall ever seeing the inner plastic trays embossed with anything but "Olimp".

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey STRSWilson, I hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas and happy new year!!! Thanks again buddy!!!!

Thank you sir and to you as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,248
Posts18,486,205
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.