Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
crc1514 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My season ended in an unusual way Saturday so I thought I’d share. It’s been a pretty slow season around here. With very little rainfall, the field work was pretty well nonstop. I never made it out during muzzleloader or archery season and didn’t get any trail cams up until early November. I hadn’t seen anything with great antlers or anything that looked super mature on any of the 3 properties I hunt, so I’d only been out twice with a rifle in the first 10 days of rifle season. I just haven’t been motivated this year for some reason. There was only one buck I was considering shooting if I had the opportunity, a nice 8 point that had been showing up at my feeder about 90 minutes after dark pretty consistently since rifle season started, but I’ve never seen him in daylight. I hunted that feeder on a terribly windy day last Thursday evening and never saw a deer.

Saturday, the day before rifle season closed, I had to attend little league basketball all morning and a funeral in the afternoon so I didn’t go hunting. About 5:15 pm I’m sitting on my couch and happen to open up the Tactacam app on my phone. When the app refreshed, I’ll be damned if the first pic that pops up is that 8 point walking to my feeder and the picture was only 1 minute old. I thought for a few seconds before I jumped up and told my wife I was leaving. I quickly changed my clothes , grabbed my backpack and rifle and took off.

I only had about 15 minutes of shooting time when I left my driveway and the buck was 3 miles away. The feeder he was at is near the middle of the section about 850 yards from the road, in a field bordered by trees on 3 sides and a railroad track with an overgrown right away on the other. I pulled into a field on the other side of the tracks and idled up the edge about 300 yards to a trail I’ve cleared to walk across the tracks. I walked across the right away with just a few minutes of shooting time left and getting darker by the second. I had forgotten my good binoculars so I was just using the cheap pair I keep in my hunting buggy. Being about 500 yards from the feeder it was too dark in my binos to see if the buck was still there. So I once again checked the Tactacam app and it showed me he was still at my feeder.

I slumped down and began walking along the fence line as quickly as I could to still be quiet. I stopped a couple times and got on the ground with my bipod but couldn’t see well enough to shoot so I kept going, luckily it’s dark enough now that he couldn’t see me well either. Finally I got to a terrace top and layed down again. Here I realized my see through scope cap was down and that’s why I couldn’t see through the scope. After I flipped it up, I could clearly see my target buck. He must’ve heard me as he had backed away from the feeder and was turned broadside and looking right at me.

I thought I might be around 300 yards away so I held about 6 inches high and let ‘er rip. As soon as I could get back on the scope I looked for the buck running away and didn’t see him. I got on my knees with the binos and quickly looked again, still no deer. Then I noticed what looked like a dark hump on the ground next to the feeder. There he was DRT, which I wasn’t expecting being a lung shooter. I looked at my phone again and the time was 5:34, the last legal minute of shooting time. It had been less than 20 minutes since I’d been laying on my couch watching tv. Turns out I was only 200 yards away so I hit 6 inches higher than I intended, I also hit a few inches forward, so instead of a lung hit it turned into a high shoulder/ base of neck shot. I was shooting a Remington BDL SS DM 25-06. This was the first rifle I ever bought when I was 17 in 1997. On top of it is a 3-9x50 Vari-X II with heavy duplex, which came in mighty useful. Here is the pic I got while on my couch, the first pic my camera took after I walked up to him, and the hero pic.

I’ve been using feeders for 20 years but I believe this is only the second deer I’ve ever shot that was actually standing at the feeder, and without cellular trail cams I wouldn’t have known he was there at all, even when I was 500 yards away. So what does the fire think, good, lucky, or legal cheater? Either way, I’m happy to have a successful end to my season.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As long as it's all legal...........

FJB & FJT
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think you’re all three pretty good shot considering, lucky everything worked out in such a short amount of time, and a legal cheater because the trail cam pics are the only reason you knew he was there. All said everything was legal and he’s a great buck, congratulations!

Last edited by LBP; 12/11/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think a little bit of cheating. Game camera to keep watch and baiting with a feeder, nothing to do with luck nor being a good hunter.. But hey, if it is legal in Kansas, and you are happy, go for it.

Here in Colorado baiting illegal. I have never used a game camera, but have sat close to a cornfield that was already harvested. If I am looking to fill the freezer, I use any legal method of take. If trying to score on a big trophy, buck that is another story. What you do and what I do doesn't matter to each of us and shouldn't matter to anyone else, but you asked for an opinion.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/11/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m good with it as long as you don’t call it hunting.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Good story. I think its cool. People use trail cams, so what. You got busy and utilized your resources. Congrats. He's a cool deer!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Nice buck👍👍👍

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
neat story congrats ,and thanks for the story,Pete53 > i would have shot too !

Last edited by pete53; 12/11/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Next time put out the feeder within shooting distance if the bathroom and you won’t even have to leave the house.

Last edited by K1500; 12/11/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a fine 3 1/2 yo buck. I remember when it was illegal to use electronic communication to kill deer. If you're good with it I'm good with it. I've never personally killed a deer using a game camera, but I've killed a few hogs.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can in no way judge how you hunt/shoot deer.
If it's legal to have a feeder then that's you.
It's not hunting to me....

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not how I would do it, ever, but if you're happy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice buck but I don’t consider shooting deer at a feeder hunting especially with the cell cam. But if it’s legal Ok. It sounds like a tough hunt!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ummm.....

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Judge not, lest we be judged.

Nice buck. I would never let one like that walk if legal.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Deer especially older ones become wise to feeders. They are careful around them and usually check the fringes for hot does that are using them. Don't let these whiners and backbiters make yo feel guilty for shooting a nice buck at a feeder where legal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a nice buck from here - congrats.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not my style but a HELL of a deer!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
All legal and made it just in time. Sometimes timing is everything. Nice buck!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
The whole history of hunting is on of increasing exploitation of technology. What we consider ethical behavior is an artificial construct shaped by a number of factors, not the least of which are emotional: jealousy, fear, competitiveness….

One spot I hunt here, SC, I shoot deer at a feeder because, for a few reasons, it’s the only practical way. It’s a pretty densely populated area, you have to shoot from an elevated position, there are a lot of deer, and you need to kill them DRT or nearly so. When I go up north to hunt, I prefer to go off in the big woods, “cold” so to speak, and seek out deer.

Not for me to judge how others do it. My primary concern, I guess, is in taking an ethical shot that you are very confident will result in a quick, humane kill, and if something does go wrong, you make every effort to follow up.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
crc1514 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Deer especially older ones become wise to feeders. They are careful around them and usually check the fringes for hot does that are using them. Don't let these whiners and backbiters make yo feel guilty for shooting a nice buck at a feeder where legal.

This has been my experience as well. Hunting around feeders is not the same as shooting fish in a barrel. Feeders are good ways to get pics of what’s in the area, but mature bucks have not been frequent visitors, especially in daytime. Most bucks that do occasionally visit one in the daytime seem to only be there a couple minutes. FWIW- I never imagined he’d still be at the feeder when I got there, but it wasn’t about to stop me from shooting him. I was hoping to catch him out in that 38 acre field somewhere, likely working back to the way I came from because I think that side of the road is where he had been coming from to get to my feeder after dark recently.

I knew some old heads would flame me, it was still a fun and different experience for me. I never really thought I could get that close and get a shot in 20 minutes. I fully realize it wouldn’t have been a rewarding experience for everyone. But hey, back straps are in the freezer and jerky will be here shortly. What the haters don’t realize is there are at least 5 different hunters with corn piles within a mile of my feeder. That’s just the way things are around here. Square sections with roads every mile, usually 4-6 landowners and 2-5 hunters per section. Our local co-op sells over 10,000 pounds of sacked whole corn per week in the fall. Many weeks much more than 10,000. The out of staters that are buying up the land around here buy it trailer fulls at a time.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crc1514
I’ve been using feeders for 20 years but I believe this is only the second deer I’ve ever shot that was actually standing at the feeder, and without cellular trail cams I wouldn’t have known he was there at all, even when I was 500 yards away. So what does the fire think, good, lucky, or legal cheater? Either way, I’m happy to have a successful end to my season.

The best part is that you are comparatively young and asking the question. You will figure it out for yourself which is really the only way it can be figured out. Pa Ingalls used to get his buck by setting out a salt lick and checking it for tracks until it was being visited every night by a big deer. Then on a full moon night he'd climb in a tree and shoot his deer. I'd have a hard time if you didn't eat the venison. Since you're looking for opinions, I like to have a better hunting story at the end than you do now. So, maybe you cheated yourself out of something. But, "cheating" as in unethical? No. You're good, enjoy your deer!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not sure anyone ‘flamed you’, rather they responded to *your* request for feedback. I’m also not sure why you think folks who didn’t jump up and down with joy over your story are ‘old heads’?

When you post a story and ask for feedback, you are probably gonna get some that your don’t like. I think you knew that as you allude to such in your original post. You know your story and method probably wouldn’t be viewed positively by everyone.

The bottom like is this: outside of obeying the law you only have yourself to answer to. If what you did was legal (sounds like it was) and *you* are happy with it, that’s all that matters. If you feel like maybe what you did wasn’t very sporting or or didn’t feel ‘right’ to you, maybe don’t do it again. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very nice buck there pard.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
All legal and made it just in time. Sometimes timing is everything. Nice buck!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^And This^^^

Big bucks don’t come to my feeders. They scout the fringe areas for does as hogwild7 said.
I’ve only killed does and hogs, and spikes at my feeders. Never a big Buck.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
As long as its legal who cares what anyone else thinks. I have hunted with the use of feeders in a world of pine thickets for over 20 years and can only say that I have killed one buck at a feeder in all that time. Mature bucks are very seldom taken at feeders in my part of the "Sportsman's Paradise." But almost everyone I know feeds corn to deer anyway. I guess I've always thought if the does stay around long enough the the bucks will come to the does eventually.
If you take that buck to the taxidermist will you always remember that you "cheated" or that you "got lucky?" I think its how you see it that matters. As long as an animal is harvested legally I think I wouldn't worry about what others think.
Like pete53 said, I would've shot it too!

Last edited by Goat; 12/11/23.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
How long are those tines? Ive got one with 11”+ g2’s and yours definitely looks longer

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Venison is venison, and I like it! Nice buck. I would have whacked him.

This:
"The bottom like is this: outside of obeying the law you only have yourself to answer to."

Last edited by las; 12/11/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

This has been my experience as well. Hunting around feeders is not the same as shooting fish in a barrel. Feeders are good ways to get pics of what’s in the area, but mature bucks have not been frequent visitors, especially in daytime. Most bucks that do occasionally visit one in the daytime seem to only be there a couple minutes. FWIW- I never imagined he’d still be at the feeder when I got there, but it wasn’t about to stop me from shooting him. I was hoping to catch him out in that 38 acre field somewhere, likely working back to the way I came from because I think that side of the road is where he had been coming from to get to my feeder after dark recently.

I knew some old heads would flame me, it was still a fun and different experience for me. I never really thought I could get that close and get a shot in 20 minutes. I fully realize it wouldn’t have been a rewarding experience for everyone. But hey, back straps are in the freezer and jerky will be here shortly. What the haters don’t realize is there are at least 5 different hunters with corn piles within a mile of my feeder. That’s just the way things are around here. Square sections with roads every mile, usually 4-6 landowners and 2-5 hunters per section. Our local co-op sells over 10,000 pounds of sacked whole corn per week in the fall. Many weeks much more than 10,000. The out of staters that are buying up the land around here buy it trailer fulls at a time.

You asked, some answered, you didn't like some of the answers, so you go to insults. Typical idiot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JakeM78

You asked, some answered, you didn't like some of the answers, so you go to insults. Typical idiot.

I don’t see any indication that he didn’t like any of the responses he got, just that he expected some would flame him (which, again in my opinion, none did.) I’m pretty old (75) and don’t think referring to someone as an “old head” rises to the level of being an insult, unlike referring to someone as a “typical idiot.”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cra1948

I don’t see any indication that he didn’t like any of the responses he got, just that he expected some would flame him (which, again in my opinion, none did.) I’m pretty old (75) and don’t think referring to someone as an “old head” rises to the level of being an insult, unlike referring to someone as a “typical idiot.”

Fair enough, fat ass.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OP probably would not have asked if he didn't have little nagging thought about it. Asking an opinion is different than asking for a fact.

Ethics is what you do when no on else is around to see it.

No flame here I as I posted a originally

Really old head here.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a really nice deer. Congratulations on your success.

I don't know where you are at in life, what stage or anything, so I can't really say that you cheated. You are certainly fortunate to have multiple properties with bucks like that on them plus you made a good shot. I can say that when life is pulling you in 3 directions and you are doing what you can to be a good parent and husband, you are doing some things right, so good job.

At this stage of my life, with my kids not completely gone but really just needing money and a little wisdom occasionally, I would be robbing myself of the experience if I took short cuts. However, when my kids were little and I had minimal time to hunt, I would have appreciated this sort of thing. Now, I'd rather sit and enjoy the hunt with no deer harvested than take an easy road. Twice in my hunting I've left the house and returned in less than an hour with a deer and I was overjoyed. I had little kids and a semi-patient wife and needed to get back asap. Now, id rather be gone 3 days or more if I can, soaking up the atmosphere of the hunt and my buddies and the outdoors.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Fair enough, fat ass.

Do the wheels on the bus still go round & round?

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was brought up around old timers who believed hunting was a combination of knowing your game and their habits, knowing the ground where your game will be found and stalking. That pulling the trigger was a very minor part and culmination of the hunt. You then had to have knife and skinning skills and know how to preserve your meat. But to stalk your prey required woodsmanship, reading sign, managing your scent and knowing the ground to get a shot. Out West you better be able to climb and know how to scramble over loose rocks, fallen timber etc. and ride and pack a horse. Stalking, still hunting etc. is hard work but the more you do the more you learn. The use of good optics really doesn’t lessen the need for stalking skills since once your prey is spotted you still have to cover a lot of downwind ground to get a shot. So no, hunting over feeders is closer to trapping in my mind and shooting game at extreme range eliminates stalking, on foot anyway, and of course eliminates the animals protective senses so it amounts to sniping rather than hunting.

Addendum: Now that I’ve preached I have mixed feelings. I need to understand some folks can’t get out and dedicate the hours to learn stalking or have friends and uncles to show them. Like myself this past eight years some are physically incapable. Others don’t live where they can walk or drive a short distance to learn the country or follow game. And of course way more only have so much time away from their jobs and family commitments to pay for travel, outfitters etc. To those I apologize. But more than that every person who buys a license, supports hunt country mom & pop businesses and counts as a hunter when the numbers are diminishing we should all be thankful

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/12/23.
C
crc1514 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

Can I consider name calling getting flamed? lol. I can assure you there have been no responses here that have made or ruined my day, or were not expected. I’m a long time reader but seldom poster here. Strangers on the net aren’t affecting my life at all. Like I mentioned originally, this was not a usual or expected outcome of my season. Nor have I represented this as a trophy buck experience that I cherish. So why did I post it? To start a conversation.

Everyone has different opinions and methods based on upbringing, personal experiences, and location. Whitetail deer are the only big game animal I hunt. I’ve never hunted them anywhere other than the same handful of farms located within 5 miles of where I grew up and still live. I also did not have family that hunted and I’ve never hunted deer with anyone else other than kids I’ve taken. I enjoy reading stories and looking at pictures of other’s landscape, hunt setup, and deer. Some hunts go just as planned and some don’t. They’re all interesting to me. I figure there are others out there that like to see something different than they’re used to as well.

I hope you and all others reading this found success some way with your season this year. That could be a peaceful sit, a freezer full of meat, the wall hanger you’ve been chasing, or just a new and different experience whether you filled a tag or not. Happy Holidays to the Fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice buck? Absolutely. Are you happy with him? That’s up to you. The fact you felt the need to pose the question speaks volumes… I’ve killed many a deer at a feeder… I truly am happy for you but your punched tag was absolutely NOT! fair chase. You know that.

Todd

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice buck. Congratulations! As long as it is legal, which it is in my home state of Kentucky, I would do it as well.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I was brought up around old timers who believed hunting was a combination of knowing your game and their habits, knowing the ground where your game will be found and stalking. That pulling the trigger was a very minor part and culmination of the hunt. You then had to have knife and skinning skills and know how to preserve your meat. But to stalk your prey required woodsmanship, reading sign, managing your scent and knowing the ground to get a shot. Out West you better be able to climb and know how to scramble over loose rocks, fallen timber etc. and ride and pack a horse. Stalking, still hunting etc. is hard work but the more you do the more you learn. The use of good optics really doesn’t lessen the need for stalking skills since once your prey is spotted you still have to cover a lot of downwind ground to get a shot. So no, hunting over feeders is closer to trapping in my mind and shooting game at extreme range eliminates stalking, on foot anyway, and of course eliminates the animals protective senses so it amounts to sniping rather than hunting. Rick
These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Years ago I worked with a young man who felt shooting deer any way, any time he could was hunting and was proud of the bucks he killed no matter the circumstances under which they were taken. He was a prolific road hunter, would drive the back roads for hours, pull over and shoot out the window of his vehicle, posted land or not made no difference as long as houses were far enough away that he couldn't be seen. He'd sometimes shoot and drive away, returning in the wee hours to retrieve his kills. He'd shoot deer out of season, with a rifle during bow season, on posted private property without permission or at night with a light. He thought he was a great white hunter of big bucks. I tried to tell him that unfortunately those bucks didn't count as any kind of trophy or evidence that he was a skilled hunter because he broke all the rules and it wasn't fair chase. He just didn't get that line of thinking at all and would reply "what do you mean, I killed them, I ate them, the horns are on my wall, how do they not count ? ".... He just didn't get it. There are many like him out there today, whether they're hunting over bait, using electronic serveilance, shooting from vehicles, shooting from 1000 yards away, whatever. It's not fair chase but they're either oblivious, dishonest or just don't care if it's hunting or fair chase or not as long as they make the kill.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
How is it any different than using a suppressed rifle with a 3000 dollar optic and popping deer from 1000 yards away. Technology changes the hunting game. Often times more than not. He still had to go out and get it done. Which he did. If your that much of a purist, then grab a longbow and a flintlock. It's all right place, right time anyways.
Congrats on the deer man. Again.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
It's a matter of legal or illegal, not whether it is cheating or not. smile

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Legal doesn't neccesarily equal ethical, sporting, fair chase or even "hunting". It's legal to shoot deer off their feeder inside a small enclousure/high fence. Sometimes killing is just killing. The OP killed a deer. Whether he hunted or not or killed it under fair chase is debatable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Legal doesn't neccesarily equal ethical, sporting, fair chase or even "hunting". It's legal to shoot deer off their feeder inside a small enclousure/high fence. Sometimes killing is just killing. The OP killed a deer. Whether he hunted or not or killed it under fair chase is debatable.
The difference is that "legal" is reasonably objective. We can all agree (again, within reason) on what is legal and not legal. "Ethical," "sporting," "fair chase," and "hunting" are all subjective to some extent, so not everyone will agree. As you said, debatable.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I figured most of the negative comments would come from the cell camera not the feeder. Funny the people that think a feeder takes all the work out of it. Meanwhile I haven’t see a good buck at a feeder in a few years on my lease and spent the last couple of weeks planning on new spots in the woods away from food plots for next year.

I don’t care how you killed him, that’s up to you. My only comment would be that it’s a mistake to not hunt an area just because you don’t have good bucks on camera. Year in, year out the best deer killed on our lease never walked in front of a camera. Mature bucks have an uncanny ability to avoid them. Kind of like fishing, you gotta go to know.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d put it in the freezer gladly, probably wouldn’t put it on the wall though. I’d hate to have to tell that story to anyone that asked about it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m
Originally Posted by LSU fan
I figured most of the negative comments would come from the cell camera not the feeder. Funny the people that think a feeder takes all the work out of it. Meanwhile I haven’t see a good buck at a feeder in a few years on my lease and spent the last couple of weeks planning on new spots in the woods away from food plots for next year.

I don’t care how you killed him, that’s up to you. My only comment would be that it’s a mistake to not hunt an area just because you don’t have good bucks on camera. Year in, year out the best deer killed on our lease never walked in front of a camera. Mature bucks have an uncanny ability to avoid them. Kind of like fishing, you gotta go to know.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cheers. Great deer.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To those who think the criteria for hunting is just a matter of legal or not completely miss the ethical concept of ‘ fair chase ‘. Those who in the financial world who exploit legal loopholes or those companies that misrepresent their products because it’s technically legal are taking advantage of the public, our lands, resources and the general public’s inherent rights. The Kodak vs Polaroid suits are a perfect example of this mind set. Kodak stole Polaroids patents and engineering property knowing very well they could make a monetary killing selling a stolen property by dragging it through the courts for decades until the patent ran out. Was it legal, yes, but was it ethical absolutely NOT.

The entire basis of public law , ( John Stuart Mill ), is based on ethics and protection of your fellow man. In a truly ethical society you don’t need politicians constantly rewriting legal code trying to contain loopholes. So to those who believe technology will always drive and change the ethical rules of hunting I truly believe sooner than later we will find ourselves hunting from our homes with cameras, drones and remote firing mechanisms. Sounds crazy but if technology keeps on encroaching on hunting, much like 360° scanning fishing sonars, the true foundation of the hunt is over. Understand the rate of technological growth has completely overrun hundreds of years of law. New gadgets could care less about ethics since they only do their job. The legal system cannot keep pace with technological advancement but shouldn’t hunters be able to draw the line. I sure hope so

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/12/23.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

I honestly don’t know where that post attributed to me came from. I’m confused too

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’m

?🤷🏼‍♂️

I honestly don’t know where that post attributed to me came from. I’m confused too

👍🏼

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To those who think the criteria for hunting is just a matter of legal or not completely miss the ethical concept of ‘ fair chase ‘. Those who in the financial world who exploit legal loopholes or those companies that misrepresent their products because it’s technically legal are taking advantage of the public, our lands, resources and the general public’s inherent rights. The Kodak vs Polaroid suits are a perfect example of this mind set. Kodak stole Polaroids patents and engineering property knowing very well they could make a monetary killing selling a stolen property by dragging it through the courts for decades until the patent ran out. Was it legal, yes, but was it ethical absolutely NOT.

The entire basis of public law , ( John Stuart Mill ), is based on ethics and protection of your fellow man. In a truly ethical society you don’t need politicians constantly rewriting legal code trying to contain loopholes. So to those who believe technology will always drive and change the ethical rules of hunting I truly believe sooner than later we will find ourselves hunting from our homes with cameras, drones and remote firing mechanisms. Sounds crazy but if technology keeps on encroaching on hunting, much like 360° scanning fishing sonars, the true foundation of the hunt is over. Understand the rate of technological growth has completely overrun hundreds of years of law. New gadgets could care less about ethics since they only do their job. The legal system cannot keep pace with technological advancement but shouldn’t hunters be able to draw the line. I sure hope so

Rick

Ethics according to who??? What happened that wasn't fair chase? Is it like when gunpowder was introduced to hunting? The ethics argument is a personal conviction and what you think versus what someone else thinks is ultimately determined by the law.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
seems to me that hunting over a feeder is much the same as hunting over a water tank/hole, or over a well used game trail. Nothing wrong with doing any of that. After all, we humans are smart enough to know to hunt in a spot that gives us the best chance at the opportunity to fill any given tag.

Congrats on a nice buck.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great buck!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Feeding and baiting deer are illegal here as is using electronic communication during a hunt, hunting from a motorized vehicle of any kind and running deer with dogs. It's been that way for as far back as I can remember and I'm in my 60's so naturally most hunters here think of them as unsporting practices. Obviously anything goes in other States so hunters there tend to think these things are OK.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice buck!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Grok thought Ong wasn’t ethical when he put a stone tip on the end of his spear instead of just using a fire-hardened sharpened stick like a real sportsman.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Grok thought Ong wasn’t ethical when he put a stone tip on the end of his spear instead of just using a fire-hardened sharpened stick like a real sportsman.

Reminds me from way back when Virginia allowed inline muzzle-loaders *GASP* and a few years later scopes on those inlines!!!

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Raeford

Reminds me from way back when Virginia allowed inline muzzle-loaders *GASP* and a few years later scopes on those inlines!!!

Yeah, same progression and debate in Georgia back in the day…

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jimineez

So does it ever end for the guys who think everything goes ? You alright with hunting from your living room or office with remote cameras and drones ? Is there any point at which it ceases to be hunting and becomes just killing ? I find it somewhat strange that a group of people who largely self identify as staunchly conservative are so liberal when it comes to what constitutes fair chase and sporting hunting practices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever else it is, it’s a good story…..

I don’t do any of those “questionable” things, but don’t care what you do.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimineez

So does it ever end for the guys who think everything goes ? You alright with hunting from your living room or office with remote cameras and drones ? Is there any point at which it ceases to be hunting and becomes just killing ? I find it somewhat strange that a group of people who largely self identify as staunchly conservative are so liberal when it comes to what constitutes fair chase and sporting hunting practices.
More libertarian. I know what works for me, but I'm not going to try to impose my standards on someone else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the problem? If he had seen the deer at a feeder or food plot out in the pasture behind his house and went out and propped up on the hood of his truck and shot it at 300 yards the only thing missing would be the camera.

The ethical issue I sort of have is people who shoot stuff they or their family don't eat. That is unless it is a predator or nuisance that is causing problems. We keep out corn to keep the doe deer out of trouble on neighboring property and occasionally one of the kids or grandkids shoots a buck.

That 'Hunters for the Hungry' deal is kind of a guilt release for shooting something you didn't want.

These days I just scout for the kids, all I ever shoot anymore is hogs, pit bulls, and anything else with a taste for calves.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As long as you were legally licensed using the
legal means and methods during legal
hours, that's all that counts
Be happy with it

My motto is
Hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Be happy with it

My motto is
Yes but you are from Texas and as another long time poster has said here repeatedly, "what passes for hunting in Texas is never not hilarious".

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I find it somewhat strange that a group of people who largely self identify as staunchly conservative are so liberal when it comes to what constitutes fair chase and sporting hunting practices.

I find it interesting when people think they are conservative but want to stop others from doing anything they don’t like. Very liberal mindset….

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I find it somewhat strange that a group of people who largely self identify as staunchly conservative are so liberal when it comes to what constitutes fair chase and sporting hunting practices.

I find it interesting when people think they are conservative but want to stop others from doing anything they don’t like. Very liberal mindset….
You mean like conservatives who love their alcohol but don't think others should be allowed to smoke pot ? Those kind of conservatives ?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

You mean like conservatives who love their alcohol but don't think others should be allowed to smoke pot ? Those kind of conservatives ?

Pretty much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Pretty much.
You must find this place and it's conservatives pretty interesting then.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Pretty much.
You must find this place and it's conservatives pretty interesting then.

I’m here for guns and hunting. I stay far far away from the general campfire forum and all the political [bleep].

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There’s a pretty big divide between that and sitting on your ass watching TV getting notifications from you cellular camera then driving over and shooting the deer.
Feeder, who cares.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Hunting and shooting are 2 different things altogether. I know in places like Texas, you don’t have any chance of killing a deer without help, but in Montana, baiting isn’t legal. Public access to public property here is much more conducive to hunting than shooting and for more reasons than that alone, is why I live in Montana…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's legal and you eat it, shoot it if you want it. I bet almost everyone here would have shot that deer including the ones whose family won't eat venison.

Another thing looked down on is shooting siting ducks. I went wood duck shooting with my neighbor. He shot 3 flying, I ground swatted 3. He gave me his ducks. My 3 were much better for eating as there were no steel shot to dig out of the breast meat.

I have more respect for a man legally hunting for meat than a purist.

By the way, I have a wall full of good whitetail antlers.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've seen champion skeet shooters shoot dove off a wire..... and then ask me after the hunt why I wouldn't shoot. We all hunt for different reasons.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain

There’s a pretty big divide between that and sitting on your ass watching TV getting notifications from you cellular camera then driving over and shooting the deer.
Feeder, who cares.

1995 was different time.

FJB & FJT
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Be happy with it

My motto is
Yes but you are from Texas and as another long time poster has said here repeatedly, "what passes for hunting in Texas is never not hilarious".

You are the liberal idiot. Listening to you ethics/hunting is unacceptable unless it fits your definition. LMAO

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've seen champion skeet shooters shoot dove off a wire..... and then ask me after the hunt why I wouldn't shoot. We all hunt for different reasons.
Apparently for many it's just to kill something the easiest way they can. Texans in particular are good with calling anything that results in a dead animal hunting and being proud of it. They seem to have zero understanding or regard for the words sporting, fair chase or even wild animal. Unfortunately these people who think anything is fine as long as it results in a dead animal give a black eye to hunters and hunting in the eyes of the non hunting public and make us look like lazy, blood thirsty, slobs.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apparently for many it's just to kill something the easiest way they can. Texans in particular are good with calling anything that results in a dead animal hunting and being proud of it. They seem to have zero understanding or regard for the words sporting, fair chase or even wild animal. Unfortunately these people who think anything is fine as long as it results in a dead animal give a black eye to hunters and hunting in the eyes of the non hunting public and make us look like lazy, blood thirsty, slobs.

You are truly clueless aren't you.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Hunting and shooting are 2 different things altogether. I know in places like Texas, you don’t have any chance of killing a deer without help, but in Montana, baiting isn’t legal. Public access to public property here is much more conducive to hunting than shooting and for more reasons than that alone, is why I live in Montana…

Tell us more of what you know about TX hunting. LMAO

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This thread has been using the term “ ethics “ throughout so maybe it should be clarified. Ethics and morals can be confusing since they generally go hand in hand but they are different. Killing for the sake of just killing may not be unethical or illegal but it’s immoral . “ Ethics refers to well-founded standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues.” Ethics are the foundation for our laws and how the public must act. Almost every profession such as medical has a set of Ethics that in effect are laws of performance or obligations. Break these ethical rules and you lose your license.

Morals are generally unwritten except in the Bible and other sources. These are the rules of conduct that most people learn through life and family not through law books. Each person has an inner moral compass that without stopping to think about steer a persons actions. Disregard your moral code and it’s usually going to result in a damaged soul or self punishment. Unlike Muslim civilizations who follow laws derived from the Koran, the Western civilizations follow ethical laws, many of which are founded in the Bible but others that are developed by a countries founders such as the Constitution etc. so when somebody says hunting is unethical they really mean immoral. Though many will state their morals are their own it must be understood that a personal moral code has more in common with others than not. Few would disagree that murder, stealing, messing around with somebody’s wife,abusing children or cheating is not a moral violation otherwise ethical laws would be impossible.

Just Spitballing
Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/14/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RL

A Texan calling me clueless when it comes to hunting is hilarious !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
so it seems some would believe that shooting a tree'd mtn. lion wouldn't be "sporting"
What about shooting a turkey on the ground? Heck, they can fly so why not flush them and give them a "sporting" chance
What about rabbit hunting, is it only sporting if ya shoot 'em on the run?
Hunting bear over bait "sporting"
what about antelope over water, sporting?

Seems some of ya believe that if it's not done "your" way that it isn't sporting.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread has been using the term “ ethics “ throughout so maybe it should be clarified. Ethics and morals can be confusing since they generally go hand in hand but they are different. Killing for the sake of just killing may not be unethical or illegal but it’s immoral . “ Ethics refers to well-founded standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues.” Ethics are the foundation for our laws and how the public must act. Almost every profession such as medical has a set of Ethics that in effect are laws of performance or obligations. Break these ethical rules and you lose your license.

Morals are generally unwritten except in the Bible and other sources. These are the rules of conduct that most people learn through life and family not through law books. Each person has an inner moral compass that without stopping to think about steer a persons actions. Disregard your moral code and it’s usually going to result in a damaged soul or self punishment. Unlike Muslim civilizations who follow laws derived from the Koran, the Western civilizations follow ethical laws, many of which are founded in the Bible but others that are developed by a countries founders such as the Constitution etc. so when somebody says hunting is unethical they really mean immoral. Though many will state their morals are their own it must be understood that a personal moral code has more in common with others than not. Few would disagree that murder, stealing, messing around with somebody’s wife,abusing children or cheating is not a moral violation otherwise ethical laws would be impossible.

Just Spitballing
Rick

I generally agree with you. I believe killing animals just for the sake of doing so is immoral even when technically legal. My point is that morality or "the way we hunt" is still subjective to a person's personal standard of belief - unless illegal of course. You don't have to condone or agree but at least respect that right.

I have no problem congratulating the OP on a good deer. He used available legal technology to his advantage and was successful. Don't most of us do that when we hunt? Are we still hunting the same way it was done 200 years ago when it was about sustaining family and not sport? Of course not. Is that wrong? Of course not.

The only thing I would have done differently had I been the OP is never bring it up to this group. Not because I was ashamed of how I hunted but because I wouldn't want to invite the "holier than thou" attitudes.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL

Show me otherwise dip chit.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TRnCO
so it seems some would believe that shooting a tree'd mtn. lion wouldn't be "sporting"
What about shooting a turkey on the ground? Heck, they can fly so why not flush them and give them a "sporting" chance
What about rabbit hunting, is it only sporting if ya shoot 'em on the run?
Hunting bear over bait "sporting"
what about antelope over water, sporting?

Seems some of ya believe that if it's not done "your" way that it isn't sporting.

This^^^^^

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RL

Do you even know what LMAO means? A little touchy aren’t we?

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL

Do you even know what LMAO means? A little touchy aren’t we?

No, not really, just calling you out for a BS statement. I know what it means for me - of course maybe in Montana it means something else.

By the way, I also called you a hypocrite in another thread - since we are talking about be "a little touchy" - LMAO

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

The non hunting public will ultimately decide whether hunting continues and what methods and technology will be allowed. In case your dumb ass hasn't noticed, several methods are already illegal and others have been outlawed in some States because they were considered unsporting and not fair chase. For instance, baiting and/or running bears, mountain lions and deer with dogs. It's the reason Boone and Crocket and Pope and Young don't allow entrance of pen killed/high fenced animals into the books, because it's not considered fair chase.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you did it legally - I'm not gonna be upset.

For me tho - that was a killing, not hunting. The feeder doesn't matter to me - it's the camera with phone notification. That's not hunting to me and that's not the way I'd have done things myself. But you are the only one that has to look yourself in the mirror or at the deer. I think tho, you'd not have asked if you felt 100% okay with it. Part of you feels like it was cheating and you're taking a temperature check from others to see if you're right/wrong on that. Don't know if responses have given you the answer you want.

Just for me - legal, ok - I'm not kicking dirt on your deer. It was a good killing. I'd not exactly call it hunting tho - not for me and, me personally, I'd not feel all that enthused myself. Getting the notification on the phone and heading out then to shoot it - feels a lot like just getting a coupon in the mail and headed down to the Piggly Wiggly for venison.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
For me tho - that was a killing, not hunting. The feeder doesn't matter to me - it's the camera with phone notification. That's not hunting to me and that's not the way I'd have done things myself. But you are the only one that has to look yourself in the mirror or at the deer. I think tho, you'd not have asked if you felt 100% okay with it. Part of you feels like it was cheating and you're taking a temperature check from others to see if you're right/wrong on that. Don't know if responses have given you the answer you want.

Just for me - legal, ok - I'm not kicking dirt on your deer. It was a good killing. I'd not exactly call it hunting tho - not for me and, me personally, I'd not feel all that enthused myself. Getting the notification on the phone and heading out then to shoot it - feels a lot like just getting a coupon in the mail and headed down to the Piggly Wiggly for venison.
Basically my thoughts as well. Although I'm personlly not big on baiting either and am glad it's illegal here, I know it's legal and accepted as legit in some areas.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

The non hunting public will ultimately decide whether hunting continues and what methods and technology will be allowed. In case your dumb ass hasn't noticed, several methods are already illegal and others have been outlawed in some States because they were considered unsporting and not fair chase. For instance, baiting and/or running bears, mountain lions and deer with dogs. It's the reason Boone and Crocket and Pope and Young don't allow entrance of pen killed animals into the books, because it's not considered fair chase.

Not sure how this proves your hunting prowess but OK... Funny you mention "some states" but you were talking about how much better you are than a Texas hunter. I think you are a little jealous and still a clueless dipchit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

The non hunting public will ultimately decide whether hunting continues and what methods and technology will be allowed. In case your dumb ass hasn't noticed, several methods are already illegal and others have been outlawed in some States because they were considered unsporting and not fair chase. For instance, baiting and/or running bears, mountain lions and deer with dogs. It's the reason Boone and Crocket and Pope and Young don't allow entrance of pen killed animals into the books, because it's not considered fair chase.

Not sure how this proves your hunting prowess but OK... Funny you mention "some states" but you were talking about how much better you are than a Texas hunter. I think you are a little jealous and still a clueless dipchit.
I average 5-7 deer a season, no bait, no food plots, no lease fees, no cameras, no range finder, no turret twisting, no elevated stands, mostly on public land. Why the fuuck would I be jealous of a Texan that has to pay out the ass to sit in a box watching a feeder ? Oh and I may not be good but my hunting partners say I'm the luckiest damn deer hunter they've ever seen and I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
If you did it legally - I'm not gonna be upset.

Sure you are kicking dirt on the guys deer. You are just trying to be nice about it. But he did ask for it.

I have several cell cameras and look at them daily. Not asking for your thoughts or opinions as I don't really give a chit.

My question is where do you say hunting technology stops and becomes Piggly Wiggly? Was it when we started using gunpowder or when hunting around farm fields became ok? I know, it's when we started driving our pickup trucks hundreds of miles to "hunt". You do know that hog hunting took on new technology with the invention of the flashlight and we got rid of the fire torches. Wade through my sarcasm and hopefully you see my point.

This whole I do it better than you or my ethics are higher than yours is BS. Hunting is regional and a privilege. Why rain on someone because you have a different opinion. Chances are if we were S TX neighbors you would hunt just like we do in S TX. If I was from a western state I would do the same. If I was from New York - I would just quit. LOL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lived in TX for 3 years. Didn't hunt because I didn't care to spend the money it costs there to lease as a Jr enlisted guy. Wasn't the same as being home. If I had, I don't know how I'd hunt it but my ass would be out there, not waiting on a text to tell me to swing by and shoot - appointment deer "hunting" (sic)

Technology turns hunting into the grocery store when you don't have to put in seat time to shoot the damned thing. "Deer's on the pile, pause the DVR while I go out n smoke him" - that's shooting, not hunting to me.

I'm not even against cameras - brother uses em a ton. But he's 9 hours away from where he has em out. Nice to know what's on property but you still go out and hope to intercept, you don't simply chill till you get the pic. That's my point.

Wasn't kicking dirt on his deer, it's a nice deer. He, apparently got it legally -congrats, but just like your pronouns, don't tell me I have to call it hunting just because it was legal. I didn't even say it was unethical - I just said tgat for me it was shooting, not hunting.

I don't ground swat ducks either FWIW.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just keep thinking this thread over and over cause it’s important. So just spitballing again because I believe this discussion is central to not only hunting but gun ownership in general. In the beginning early hominids most likely killed as an act of self defense. Predators of the four legged type don’t suffer moral dilemmas only a need for food. These early people learned to fight off and eventually kill predators and other animals then eat them. Eventually a diet of red meat and the natural defensive skills of non-predator animals created the need to stay clear of these hunters. The original club or rock was now ineffectual so meals were less frequent until the spear then progressively the bow and arrow evolved to feed and protect.

As game became became scarcer and smarter the ‘ uprights ‘ continued to invent better hunting tools in order to protect and feed themselves. But even today, and maybe even more relevant, the gun is our last straw tool that by itself can protect and feed when all else fails and one piece of equipment that the prudent man won’t relinquish voluntarily. This progression of hunting technology continues to this day. But at some point the balance of technology and the simple minded game animal will start to upset to the point where no matter how clever and fleet the animal he will be no match for electronics or technological advantages as these devices are beyond the animals senses and instincts. May as well be a UFO or a helicopter hovering over a primitive tribe in Amazonia. Even though there is a major advantage gap between the arrow and the bullet both required the hunter to stalk his prey. In so doing the human hunter actually enters the world of the animal by using cover, higher or tougher ground, his scent, optics that can offer visual acuity on par with his prey since man’s senses fall way short of the deer and other game. The old proverb of ‘ thinking like a deer ‘ is all to true to the hunter who stalks his prey.

So my “ bitch “ is that until recently the hunter regardless of bow or rifle still had to rely on his brains, cunning and physical ability to stalk and shoot his prey. It just becomes increasingly obvious that what all these technological gadgets are really doing is to remove the hunters abilities from the equation. So to those states where the legal argument of allowing the use of drones linked to phones under the guise of trying to find wounded game will be the end of true hunting.

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 12/14/23.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Great conversation, guys. And, we're just continuing a conversation that's been going on for thousands of years. Some anthropologists think that this conversation was the beginning of ethics and religion for the human race - our relationship with the prey species. Some see the sacrifice of the prey species for the tribe as the paradigm that the Christian religion grew out of. Of course, Christians have seen it as a prefiguring of the reality of Christ's sacrifice. How do we earn this sacrifice? How do we enter the ritual as ceremonially clean? How do we earn the blood? What is worthy? Does worth have anything to do with it?

Fair chase and a sporting chance can be seen as bourgeois, anthropocentric virtue signaling (I'm not saying they are but, I see the point). All subsistence hunters valued securing the most calories and nutrition from the prey species with the least expenditure of calories on their part. And, if you respect the prey species and show that by limiting suffering, only taking "ethical", high percentage shots on deer, why does an ethical shot on a bird involve the bird in flight when it's much easier not to wound him when he's roosted? I shoot birds both ways. My buddy won't shoot a running deer. All the deer I've shot (almost) have been running. I've passed on deer because it would have been too easy. And, I've shot deer that were just dumb luck on my part.

What is wrong with "blood lust"? I love killing stuff. Destruction is beautiful and I feel compelled to hunt, chase and kill. And, yet this same compulsion is revolting to another part of me. There's sadness, joy, regret, and elation all at the same time and it's been going on for many, many centuries. In the end we are hunting ourselves.

Of course, there are psychopaths who should not be sold hunting licenses and misanthropes paralyzed by self-loathing who would file their eye teeth flat. But, we know a reality that can't really be spoken about. It's full of contradictions and paradoxes.

It's not the specifics of your hunt, the bare facts. It's the experience and how it changes you, how it feeds you, how it informs your relationship with OTHERS. Sell it short at your peril.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Fair enough, fat ass.

I wonder what it's like to be such a twat like you.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Fair enough, fat ass.

Love it, a term that fits so well and was applied right between the running lights ( eyes ).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice deer!

Congratulations!

I wonder if they will make claymore like deals with buckshot. U can touch em off by yer feeder via the phone?

Pick up the carcass at halftime?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The question of hunting over bait or food plots right now is tough for our laws to clearly define. Throwing bait or chum is nothing but an attractant trying to draw in and concentrate game away from their normal feeding habits. It’s artificial plain and simple. The fact that it’s questionable is obvious if you pose the question state by state. Food plots are a bit more tricky as on one hand they benefit an animal’s diet where there may be a shortage of natural nutrients. The tricky part is that growing a crop like corn or beans is farming, the size is arbitrary but regardless the presence of opportunistic game is not the goal of the farmer but instead a bi-product thief and pest in most states. Whether they are pests or a hunter’s bonus is almost irrelevant. Wild game taking advantage of field crops is a perfect example of the prey playing the same game as the feeder hunter, and as most laws are drawn they considered a destructive crop pest so no different than spraying for insects. Hunting in such circumstances with farmers permission is essentially a unintentional opportunity and therefore cannot be termed a baiting scheme. Shooting deer off a bean field seems to me a winner either way. But despite the legality, bait stations and licks are a much different notion. Just the word ‘ bait ‘ says it all. You can call it feeders but then what are you trying to feed and why ? The biggest concern about bait at concentrated feeder stations and licks that I’ve heard from CO’s and wildlife biologists is that it creates a communal source for spreading disease amongst wild game. My ex-neighbor in NH was a big animal vet and his two sons were fish and game cops that made the analogy that dogs catching kennel cough is very similar to feeders or bait stations.

Technology is unavoidable and it’s certainly spilling over to hunting and fishing. To many sport hunters and fisherman any technological advantage is worth using. But shouldn’t we consider that technology is a double edged sword. Without controls it can decimate our game by destroying or buying up the land they/we need. Big foreign mining operations that can legally lay waste to the land and tributary waters on BLM and state lands. Or large foreign flag offshore fishing fleets capable of scooping up our fish where no laws apply. I am referring to international waters. When this happens everybody on our shores is getting robbed as the cycle of migration is being broken. Loss of returning schools are not just stealing fish for the coastal fleets but robbing food for animal species that regulate their lives on spawning salmon and the fat to survive Winter. Lost fish for families and tribes who depend on their return as a farmer depends on crops, and the loss of fertilized eggs and the future runs.

As I recall about twenty- five years ago + -, millions of tons of salmon never showed up in parts of Alaska and the PNW but coincidentally fresh salmon was flooding the markets of Southeast Asia. Observers found many of those fish had net scars on them ? Somebody or something was intercepting these big schools offshore in international waters. There is some satellite evidence that giant midwater trawlers flying Chinese, Korean, Malaysia, and Russian flags may/probably were involved. These vessels work in fleets where large trawl nets ( some 700-900’ or more ) are towed sometimes between two vessels. With very sophisticated electronics, aircraft, etc. schools are located, the nets dive or rise in the water column using sonar tracking and cameras to fine tune the mouth of the net. I’ve seen photos of six or three pairs of midwater trawlers netting giant schools of fish. Once the net is hauled back the big processor ships take over landing the catch, dressing, filleting and flash freezing or cooking and canning up to 1500-2000 tons a fish per day. It’s just technology and guess what it’s not illegal, nope it’s profitable.

Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fair enough, fat ass.

Just be glad he's not a twat like Steelhead. LOLOLOLOLOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have access to. It can be hard for western hunters who hunt 100s of thousands of acres of public land that is largely open, to understand what it's like for southern hunters who may only have access to 20-40 acre parcels. Even larger parcels of a couple hundred acres are often paper company leases with vegetation so thick between the trees that you can't see 20 feet in front of you. You don't stalk in this kind of habitat.

States have allowed cameras, plots and feeders because the herds can easily sustain it. I dare say that were it not for allowing feeders, cameras and plots, there wouldn't be enough deer removed from the population each year to keep it healthy.

I'd much rather hunt wide open spaces or places where I could hunt slowly moving through the woods. That's not an option.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hunt whats legal..

I own 20 acres..

Prolly 16yr old ( give or take ) pine plantation.

2 oak trees on my place. Previous owner cut all the rest…

When i bought the place, it was thick cutovers.
Now The woods are open. No briars, no undergrowth…

Time to thin… but thats anotHer story… find someone that will thin 20 acre…..

I feed…

Corn and sweet feed…

Fuggers will eat 100# pf 10% sweet feed a week..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have access to. It can be hard for western hunters who hunt 100s of thousands of acres of public land that is largely open, to understand what it's like for southern hunters who may only have access to 20-40 acre parcels. Even larger parcels of a couple hundred acres are often paper company leases with vegetation so thick between the trees that you can't see 20 feet in front of you. You don't stalk in this kind of habitat.

States have allowed cameras, plots and feeders because the herds can easily sustain it. I dare say that were it not for allowing feeders, cameras and plots, there wouldn't be enough deer removed from the population each year to keep it healthy.

I'd much rather hunt wide open spaces or places where I could hunt slowly moving through the woods. That's not an option.
That's the reason there's short gun seasons and restrictions on what firearms one can use to hunt with. Before the CRP, pine tree and other farm conservation programs there was virtually no deer once you left the creek swamps in Georgia.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I honestly think the hunting story that started this thread is awesome.

It all came together for him and he got a dandy.

Most of the United States 🇺🇸 is all divyed up and private owned. U can’t trespass, yet deer 🦌 thrive in the area and need to be controlled. Minnesota has at time stated more deer die being hit by car than hunting.

The deer 🦌 are basically feral goats. The hunt described both luck and skill and I thank the author for sharing.I don’t think he “ cheated.”

Well done and Happy Holidays!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Legal dead deer is just that, legal dead deer. Who cares how they die, if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters man. Piss on anyone who tries to take that from you. Nice deer, and I don’t care what anyone says, no matter how u kill a nice buck, someone is gonna be jealous and call you a cheater. F*ck em is what I say.

Last edited by Chapoosa; 12/17/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I honestly think the hunting story that started this thread is awesome.

It all came together for him and he got a dandy.

Most of the United States 🇺🇸 is all divyed up and private owned. U can’t trespass, yet deer 🦌 thrive in the area and need to be controlled. Minnesota has at time stated more deer die being hit by car than hunting.

The deer 🦌 are basically feral goats. The hunt described both luck and skill and I thank the author for sharing.I don’t think he “ cheated.”

Well done and Happy Holidays!

This is what the thread was initially about, shooting a deer, not being better or worse than anyone. The residue is that RL and Jake are obviously 2 guys that are better on the internet than they are in real life…

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd shoot him, feeder or not

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Scholars have been writing about humans and the need to hunt and kill an animal for centuries. It’s been a subject that is really quite interesting if a person is so inclined to read about. It many ways the pro & cons are somewhat similar to the argument that boxing should be banned along with bullfighting, cock fighting etc. One thought and theory that always comes up is that no matter what science says it seems that humanity sees itself as something that has emerged from animals. That most animals still remain so close to us that we still feel some form of communication with them. Dogs, cats, horses or pets in general seem to enforce this belief. When the Indians, and some hunters today, kill they honor the prey for its life and food. In many societies a valiant warrior that is killed in action is also honored. It’s a very tricky and confusing aspect of our existence but really not so strange if we realize we are still basic predators.

It’s odd that fishing and the killing of fish does not raise these questions ? We catch, fight and kill fish but never a word from the anti-hunt people. Some think the fish is so unlike two or four legged mammals that we can’t have the same feelings for them. They live in an environment cold blooded, underwater, with none of the same physical characteristic as humans. Most people feel the same way about snakes. They again are cold blooded and have nothing remotely similar to legged mammals. So perhaps this means we really do have an affinity for our prey when we hunt and kill them. Now birds is a difficult situation to ponder but once again they are completely different physically and unlike all else in the animal kingdom they can fly above us. Just spitballing but it could just be as simple as they taste good and because they fly and we can’t they deserve it. Anyway food for thought.

“ One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary one kills in order to have hunted “ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scholars have been writing about humans and the need to hunt and kill an animal for centuries. It’s been a subject that is really quite interesting if a person is so inclined to read about. It many ways the pro & cons are somewhat similar to the argument that boxing should be banned along with bullfighting, cock fighting etc. One thought and theory that always comes up is that no matter what science says it seems that humanity sees itself as something that has emerged from animals. That most animals still remain so close to us that we still feel some form of communication with them. Dogs, cats, horses or pets in general seem to enforce this belief. When the Indians, and some hunters today, kill they honor the prey for its life and food. In many societies a valiant warrior that is killed in action is also honored. It’s a very tricky and confusing aspect of our existence but really not so strange if we realize we are still basic predators.

It’s odd that fishing and the killing of fish does not raise these questions ? We catch, fight and kill fish but never a word from the anti-hunt people. Some think the fish is so unlike two or four legged mammals that we can’t have the same feelings for them. They live in an environment cold blooded, underwater, with none of the same physical characteristic as humans. Most people feel the same way about snakes. They again are cold blooded and have nothing remotely similar to legged mammals. So perhaps this means we really do have an affinity for our prey when we hunt and kill them. Now birds is a difficult situation to ponder but once again they are completely different physically and unlike all else in the animal kingdom they can fly above us. Just spitballing but it could just be as simple as they taste good and because they fly and we can’t they deserve it. Anyway food for thought.

“ One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary one kills in order to have hunted “ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Rick

Nice

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats! Legal is legal. In my mind, I have a line between hunting and what I call grocery shopping.

Sometimes you just have to make a quick trip for groceries. No shame in that. It doesn’t have to be hard. Sure, an animal that I genuinely worked hard for might hold more value in my mind but those deer and “grocery” deer taste the same.

Semper Fi

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It’s our heritage to be able to hunt, own guns and shoot and that is very strong medicine as the anti gun and anti hunt crowd know all too well. Making the argument that people no longer need to hunt to feed themselves and the consequence that if we don’t need to hunt we don’t need those rifles is what I call classic logic; two premises and a conclusion. So on paper it works but otherwise it doesn’t consider human traits, the genetic code within us that makes us want to hunt. Our natural ability and desire to enjoy sneaking up or watching from a distance, our eyes in the front of our skulls instead of on the sides of our head like our game, canine teeth and digestive systems all which are characteristics of predators. To those who think hunting and killing game is barbaric are actually refusing to acknowledge their inner most human traits by suppressing these feelings under social pressure more than their gut. Tell me the photographer isn’t really a hunter stalking his subject. He uses cover and a degree of stealth to get the shot and though he doesn’t kill and eat his prey the techniques are the same. There are many day to day similarities such as a salesman who must size up a potential customer figuring out how to approach and close a deal, law enforcement hiding and setting traps, it’s fun and it’s ingrained in all of us. There really isn’t anything but socially enforced politically correct acceptance and some regional laws that should prevent the hunter from following their instincts and moral code.

I’m pretty much done on this subject and I apologize if I’ve bored or antagonized some readers. None of my comments and analysis were ever meant to offend the OP since as I read his question he was asking for opinions about his dilemma. As far as I’m concerned, and as he explained it, he took his deer legally and as such is rightfully entitled to his prize. Unless he feels he has run adrift of his own morals he should be content and happy.

Rick

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I’m good with it as long as you don’t call it hunting.

Usually the best answer is within a few of the original post - so it is in this instance.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeez, this was something

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.