Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
steveus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm in S. GA and have talked to not one deer hunter who has prepared or eaten canned venison, but it seems as though lots of you guys and gals north of here say it's a great way to go. I'd like to give it a try. Any comments? Thanks.

GB1

F
F
I've canned venison only a few times, so don't consider me an expert.

I've only done cold/raw pack where you load the (warm/sterilized) jars with raw meat chunks and process in pressure canner.

My lazy "recipe" is to add one beef bouillon cube to each pint jar.

I also do a (gringo) taco-spiced version.

Last season I canned some deer quarters that I corned. This has been well liked for the breakfast skillet, especially in the ice shanty on a cold day.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I grew up eating a lot of canned deer meat (and pork). Lots of uses for it.

Canning meat is a little time consuming but very easy to do. Find any raw pack method and give it a try. I'd also say don't get nuts on seasoning it before you can. It limits what you can use it for later.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Only thing I put in mine is one beef bullion cube. Lots of great uses for it. One of my favorites is just heated up , add a little flour to the broth to make gravy and dump it over egg noodles or rice. Quick and easy. Also great in soups and stew

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We had a lot of deer burger in the freezer. So, we mixxed it about 50% cheap hamburger meat, browned it, packed it in canning jars. Then pressure canned it for the proper time. My wife doesn't like venison. So, making hamburger and mixing it with hamburger gives it a more beef flavor. She uses it in spaghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, etc. Freezer was freed up for other foods.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Only thing I put in mine is one beef bullion cube. Lots of great uses for it. One of my favorites is just heated up , add a little flour to the broth to make gravy and dump it over egg noodles or rice. Quick and easy. Also great in soups and stew

Prepared this way and on top of bread for open face sandwiches with gravy is about as good as it gets.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I did mine with a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of beef flavored Better Than Bullion.
When making vegetable soup I just open up a jar and dump it in.
I will also throw it in a sauce pan with some barbecue sauce and honey and let it cook down for sandwiches.
As one of the previous posters mentioned I will add gravy and dump over mashed potatoes over toast for a manhattan.
It’s handy to have a few jars around.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Some di_ldo will jump in here and swear up and down that if you don't brown the meat first you'll die of AIDS you clearly contracted from an 84 year old tranny whore.

That being said, you don't HAVE to brown the meat first, but it does end up tasting better in the end.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 12/13/23.
S
steveus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks so much for the replies, lots of good ideas. I think I'll ask Santa for a pressure cooker!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or, hot water bath for 3 hours.
That is not the approved way, today.
It was the standard and approved way it was done until about 30 years ago when
pressure canners became a thing.

My family wasn't about canning deer as a thing, to do or talk about.
Deer was canned just like beef and pork, as a way to keep it.
Even after electric and freezers showed up, there wasn't rooming them
for a cow, several hogs, and deer.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
90 minutes in the PC at the pressure for your elevation.

No salt required, but it adds flavor. A level teaspoon for a quart is about right if you want it.

No need to brown the meat but it does seem to "taste" better, and browning does NOT cut your process time. Still 90 minutes.

No need to add water, it will make it's own juices. Instead of a bullion cube I add an inch or so of beef stock to each jar.

Wanna get fancy, smoke that chunked up stuff for a couple three hours then can it. THAT is GOOD. (still 90 minutes run time in the PC)

In my opinion browning or hot smoking gets some or most of the blood out of the meat. Deer blood adds gameyness.

If you do Facebook there's a BUNCH of "rebel canning" groups to join and they'll give you more advice than you'll ever want.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steveus
Thanks so much for the replies, lots of good ideas. I think I'll ask Santa for a pressure cooker!

Ask him for a pressure canner, a pressure cooker is a different animal.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
steveus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by steveus

Ask him for a pressure canner, a pressure cooker is a different animal.

Roger that, thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend does a couple deer each year for us and he has tried two things recently and we really like it. A tablespoon of barbecue sauce to half the batch and smoked bacon to the other half. We used to use beef bullion and that is good also.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I add beef bullion and a 1/4 of a onion to mine . Always pressure can

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all meat should be pressured canned to stay safe to eat. i have canned meat for years it is a lot of work but with it . when i do venison i do add one piece of bacon to each quart jar with the deer meat when i can the meat. good luck, Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 12/23/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Some di_ldo will jump in here and swear up and down that if you don't brown the meat first you'll die of AIDS you clearly contracted from an 84 year old tranny whore.

That being said, you don't HAVE to brown the meat first, but it does end up tasting better in the end.

^^^this^^^ lightly browned, slight carmelization. Also, it's not in any canning book I ever saw, but I am living testament..it won't kill you, if you want, besides the bouillion cube, a little chopped onion, minced garlic or garlic powder, a pinch of thyme and a tsp per pint of all purpose flour. Mighty easy when you are in a hurry to warm the contents and dump it over rice, noodles, spuds or toasted bread for a fast filling meal...the sauce couldn't be called real gravy but it's tastier than boiled meat.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When we canned venison we made chili, spaghetti sauce w/meat and stew right away and canned it. Cn camping trips no refrigeration was needed and we had hearty meals that didn't require long cook times. We canned a lot of ground venison patties, use wide mouth jars as they are easier to get out without destroying. We also canned ducks and fish. I still can meals for extended coyote hunting trips and fishing.

Canning when I lived up in the woods
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Canned Deer

1 tsp salt for a qt, 1/2 tsp for a pt. Pressure at 10 lbs for 1&1/2 hr for quarts. 1 hr&15 min for pints. *Pack jar tight and do not add water.

Cooking canned deer:
Open jar & Drain meat then salt, pepper, and dust with flour. Brown in an iron skillet. Sauté onions in another pan and add to meat. Pour beefy mushroom soup over it all and cover to simmer for 20 minutes on low. Pour over rice or mashed potatoes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

S
steveus Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/instructions. Lots of helpful information, just what I needed.

T
T
I always add 1/4 of an onion in my jar along with a beef bullion. I just pack the meat in the jar raw and pressure can for 90 minutes

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
in addition to a bouillon cube add 3 tbl spoons of open season mesquite rub. a dash of cavendars is nice too. bar b que or cajon will work also. liquid bar b que dont work.
its a lot faster and cooler in the basement on fish cookers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]i

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.