Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
What would it take to 3D print one of these?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Back in the early 2000’s Montana Rifle Company had plans for a mini version of their action (essentially a miniature Winchester model 70). That never came to fruition. Now something like that in left hand gets me excited!

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
Back in the early 2000’s Montana Rifle Company had plans for a mini version of their action (essentially a miniature Winchester model 70). That never came to fruition. Now something like that in left hand gets me excited!

Somebody get that engineer that was working for the new MRC in this thread. That would be perfect.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the .378” Stainless Montucky 84M and hold The Fluff. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I'd scratch the 2.6" box as I think you'd just wind up with something close to a Model 7, and it's really not needed for the Grendel/PPC based rounds that would be it's bread and butter. There are other options already if you want a .223 or BR/Dasher. I'd just make 2 versions, one with internal feed lips for ADL/BDL, and one without for the proprietary scaled-down AICS style mags and bottom metal that would have to be designed. I'd probably scratch the AR mag compatibility. Find a company to contract out a couple of stocks designed for the action, a lightweight hunting model and a heavier target version.
The long mag box is the most important part.
If you can't utilize longer bullets, might as well go with something already available.

2.6" is a good bit more than necessary for any of the Grendels, which would be the primary reason for a "mini" action. The .223 needs to sit this one out, as making a mag box long enough for it puts you in standard short action territory, as I said earlier. Just my opinion, and if Howa would make em SS from the factory, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Hard disagree. The 6mm ARC is able to use all of the Jefferson Outdoor length mag box in the Mini and bullets aren't getting any shorter. The 223 and its derivatives would be a prime reason to buy a mini; it would be dumb to design the setup too short for such a trusted round that's likely going to compose a bulk of builds. A mini action should be much more about overall mass rather than length...we're not building WSSMs here.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I'd scratch the 2.6" box as I think you'd just wind up with something close to a Model 7, and it's really not needed for the Grendel/PPC based rounds that would be it's bread and butter. There are other options already if you want a .223 or BR/Dasher. I'd just make 2 versions, one with internal feed lips for ADL/BDL, and one without for the proprietary scaled-down AICS style mags and bottom metal that would have to be designed. I'd probably scratch the AR mag compatibility. Find a company to contract out a couple of stocks designed for the action, a lightweight hunting model and a heavier target version.
The long mag box is the most important part.
If you can't utilize longer bullets, might as well go with something already available.

2.6" is a good bit more than necessary for any of the Grendels, which would be the primary reason for a "mini" action. The .223 needs to sit this one out, as making a mag box long enough for it puts you in standard short action territory, as I said earlier. Just my opinion, and if Howa would make em SS from the factory, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Hard disagree. The 6mm ARC is able to use all of the Jefferson Outdoor length mag box in the Mini and bullets aren't getting any shorter. The 223 and its derivatives would be a prime reason to buy a mini; it would be dumb to design the setup too short for such a trusted round that's likely going to compose a bulk of builds. A mini action should be much more about overall mass rather than length...we're not building WSSMs here.

Yeah, what you describe is basically just a Kimber or Nula, both of which already exist, and neither of which I'd call "mini", although they have much less mass than a 700. It's kinda obvious which one is the "mini" when I'm holding my Montana .223 in one hand and my brother's Howa 6.5 in the other, although both are certainly very svelte rifles. Just my opinion.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, what you describe is basically just a Kimber or Nula, both of which already exist, and neither of which I'd call "mini"...
And neither of which is currently being made in .378" bolt face.
Different definitions of mini I guess.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber is/was the closest to the mark size/weight wise. Howa not bringing the stainless mini action here was certainly a cross eyed decision.

Yup.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Recommend an integrated recoil lug.

Recommend integrated 20moa pic rail with the port open.

I get pissed off when I think about HOWA having a stainless mini but it not being available here. Neither of the mini's went with me this past weekend due constant rain.

Originally Posted by Burleyboy

3. It should have at least a 2.6" mag box with option retrofit device to allow it to use AR mags for those that don't mind giving up mag length. The 2.6" option should be available in ADL option with feed lips in the action or bdl or an optional flush fit detachable 2.6" mag.

It's an interesting thought. I think PTG made a 700 and M7 AR bottom metal but I've never explored them. I don't have an interest in giving up OAL in bolt guns but if it was a quick easy swap it could be fun burning through cheap factory ammo and would give a lot of mag options and capacity.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As said, the Kimbers do exist, yes, but not with near the options and variations of the past. I’m curious the direction their rifle line will go in the future.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.