-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Roughly a 5-1 doe/buck ratio on our lease, judging by my trailcam photos and by what I've observed in the field. I've taken a buck and 2 does this season and likely won't take anything more unless I see a stud. I have enough meat already for the year.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No shortage of them in NE WI. Between my archery and gun antlered tags, the DNR gave me 8 antlerless tags!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No shortage in Greenville AL.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here in SC I’ve shot 4 bucks and one doe so far. Have let a number of small bucks walk. The doe I shot was the only one I’d seen up to that point. Last night I saw another, but it was late, still legal shooting hours, but too dark for an ethical shot in the woods by the time I got the group of three sorted out and figured the big one was, indeed a big doe.

All that said, I know there are plenty of does on that property, just haven’t had the opportunity to collect more than one so far.

Spent a week in New York last month, saw a total of three does and two bucks, one of which I collected.

Mathew 22: 37-39

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Not just at my lease, but spoke to a few others saying similar. Bucks outnumbering does which is not normal.

On a 4 hour one road trip all or nearly all the dead deer by the roadside were bucks too.

In the varmint forum one hunter said he shot, I believe, 11 squirrels and all ended up being males. Said the odds were astronomical of that happening.

Sounds crazy to think something is amiss, but given the times we live in...... hello Faucci or what??

Ok, being dramatic but.....what about in your area?

It’s the horn restrictions in most of Texas causing the low doe numbers. It’s part of the plan for bigger bucks. If guys don’t see a buck they want they take does instead. Taking 5 does a year just to have 13-15” wide bucks for the most part is crazy to me.

Hmmm maybe. I do know over past say 5-6 years we saw much bigger bucks in the hill country and good bucks are now commonplace further north. A decade or so ago it was not the case.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I saw a ton of does this season.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
Not just at my lease, but spoke to a few others saying similar. Bucks outnumbering does which is not normal.

On a 4 hour one road trip all or nearly all the dead deer by the roadside were bucks too.

In the varmint forum one hunter said he shot, I believe, 11 squirrels and all ended up being males. Said the odds were astronomical of that happening.

Sounds crazy to think something is amiss, but given the times we live in...... hello Faucci or what??

Ok, being dramatic but.....what about in your area?

It’s the horn restrictions in most of Texas causing the low doe numbers. It’s part of the plan for bigger bucks. If guys don’t see a buck they want they take does instead. Taking 5 does a year just to have 13-15” wide bucks for the most part is crazy to me.

Hmmm maybe. I do know over past say 5-6 years we saw much bigger bucks in the hill country and good bucks are now commonplace further north. A decade or so ago it was not the case.

Definitely more big bucks but fewer does and deer overall. Allowing that late doe/spike season until the third week of January definitely puts a damper on overall deer numbers too, by that time all the does are pregnant most with twins.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have seen 21 deer this year so far

18 have been does including the 2 I killed

The 3 bucks were a spike, a fork horn, and a small 6pt

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took a friend to the lease. Saw two doe and next day two elsewhere. I kind of think they were same does. My friend took one. Felt a little bad for the other one.
Saw two new bucks too- as well as a few we had already seen. One really large and wide 6 point with a kicker.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I noticed a lack of bucks this season

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No lack of does around here, in a few weeks there's going to be less. Educating the deer herd is easy just, all you have to do is walk around the woods looking for them.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
No lack of does, just a lack of deer in general. 20 years ago it was nothing to see small herds of deer, now I am lucky to see half a dozen deer in an entire season.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 81 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.