Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I was thinking the other day that I wanted to go out and buy a Tikka T1x 20" barrel rifle and start playing around with a bolt action, since I've been enjoying my 10/22's a lot lately. But then I rethought that and decided to throw a scope on one of my many target rifles that I have not been shooting much lately.

I decided to put the spare AR 7.62 4.5-14x42 Burris rifle scope on it and take it to the range. I also drug my new 10/22 clone along for the ride. Wanted to do some more testing with that rifle.

The savage MKII FVT looks kind of funny with this big scope on it. It's the same scope I run on my Kidd barreled 10/22, and many other rifles. Bolt action centerfire's and of course AR's.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I figure I am going to leave this rifle in the original stock. My other Savage target rifle wears a Boyds stock, and it looks great and shoots great. But for some reason I have always just wanted to leave this one in the factory plastic stock.

Yesterday was a great day to do some accuracy testing in both rifles I brought. I was actually very happy that I found a rifle that actually likes CCI standard velocity target ammo. I can buy that stuff at Walmart for a pretty good price.

So, to start off, I had to dial in the scope. Get somewhat zeroed. I used el cheapo Federal Automatch to get that job done in a hurry:

Since we know rimfires can be picky, I tried a few different brands and types of ammo. Started off with Federal gold medal match that was made in 1992. I've had great luck with this ammo. My 10/22 favors this ammo, but it didn't do all to great in the Savage:

Next up was the Eley Club Xtra:

Then the CCI standard velocity "target" ammo:
That is the ammo that really surprised me, and I believe I'll be buying more of it in the near future.

Of course, being a cheap azz, I had to try some of my favorite cheap ammo. The American Eagle 38gr hollow point:

That's good enough to almost burn out the x-ring, but not quite.

The new rifle was doing pretty good too, even though the sun was being annoying!!!
I know, I should have adjusted the scope to the left a hair. Dangit!!

I think Jim in Idaho has one of these Savage mkII's, but I don't know if any of you other rimfire guys like them. In my experience, they seem to shoot and function well.

I think watching this video the other day, got me interested in shooting my MKII again:

In this video, he's starting to smack talk about factory set ups. His rifle is showing that it needs some bedding work. He's getting major POI shift. If he knew how to correct that, it would probably be a pretty damn good shooting rifle.

Any of you guys like these Savage MKII's as much as I do? Lets see some pics and let me know how they shoot. Maybe what ammo they prefer. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting. If you ever get bored with the pistol targets you can get some 50 Meter ISSF targets. That's what my buddy who shoots smallbore F class tells me they use at 50 yards. The inner 10 ring (X) is 5mm and 10 ring 10.4 mm.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Savage makes some very accurate barrels.

I have two Mk II's. Neither as accurate as yours.

However, the oldest one I have is actually a Lakefield. (Pre-savage). One of the first year guns and has seen a lot of use. I have shot it so much over the years that I finally shortened and recrowned the barrel and made an integral suppressor for it.

The other is one of the Mk2 FVSR's. While not as accurate as yours, it's taken several squirrels by headshots. Which is plenty of practical accuracy for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Nice shooting. If you ever get bored with the pistol targets you can get some 50 Meter ISSF targets. That's what my buddy who shoots smallbore F class tells me they use at 50 yards. The inner 10 ring (X) is 5mm and 10 ring 10.4 mm.

Thanks Mike. I just used those because the x ring is close to 1/2", and the pistol targets are easy to find locally. Besides, my club uses targets that are similar in our rimfire shoots. I generally just train how I will be shooting in competition. Doesn't make much sense to do something different. The pictures are also just a representation of how the rifle shoots. It was not a competition. However, with that being said, I have shot some targets that Bearcat74 said he uses in some of his competitions. That was a while back, and I used my 10/22:

Those are fun targets to shoot at.

Originally Posted by johna1
Savage makes some very accurate barrels.

I have two Mk II's. Neither as accurate as yours.

However, the oldest one I have is actually a Lakefield. (Pre-savage). One of the first year guns and has seen a lot of use. I have shot it so much over the years that I finally shortened and recrowned the barrel and made an integral suppressor for it.

The other is one of the Mk2 FVSR's. While not as accurate as yours, it's taken several squirrels by headshots. Which is plenty of practical accuracy for me.

Your old rifle sounds cool. I think if I ran across a real old one in good condition for cheap, I'd buy it. Those FVSR's are also pretty nice. Very similar to my FVT, but with a shorter barrel.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one. It's ok. Every other Rimfire I've had has been more accurate right away. My last Rimfire was a CZ 17hmr that was more accurate at 100 than this mark 2 is at 50, so far. I assume I will find the perfect ammo and get good results.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 19352012
I have one. It's ok. Every other Rimfire I've had has been more accurate right away. My last Rimfire was a CZ 17hmr that was more accurate at 100 than this mark 2 is at 50, so far. I assume I will find the perfect ammo and get good results.

Hopefully. Sometimes these rifles need a little bedding work too. Once the action is secure in the stock, and not being stressed when you tighten the action screw, accuracy will settle right in there. I've seen some really bad, where when you pull the trigger, you can see the barreled action moving in the stock. Then guys wonder why they don't shoot well. They don't need pillars, they just need epoxy in the right spots. A little clip of the trigger spring also helps with trigger pull on these as well.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 19352012

Hopefully. Sometimes these rifles need a little bedding work too. Once the action is secure in the stock, and not being stressed when you tighten the action screw, accuracy will settle right in there.
You might be talking beyond the limit of my aptitude or desire.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Walmarts in my area has the Savage bolt action 22 w/bull barrel and green laminated stock. Very nice looking gun

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
The Walmarts in my area has the Savage bolt action 22 w/bull barrel and green laminated stock. Very nice looking gun

I've seen those here too. Not a bad looking rifle. I was hoping to get some reports on some of those in particular and how they shoot. I believe kandpand bought one similar to those. Maybe he will chime in?? The one I saw recently at Walmart has an At One stock. Those are actually pretty comfortable stocks and very adjustable.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've got one Savage mark II , shoots very well with the ammo I've tried. Scope is an older Swift fine crosshair 6-18 . Pretty much a dedicated plinking 22 / squirrel rifle. Does pretty good with Federal automatch ( my go to cheap bulk ammo ) and will do dime size groups at 75 yards with Cci mini mag hp. Really haven't tried anything else in it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Troutnut
I've got one Savage mark II , shoots very well with the ammo I've tried. Scope is an older Swift fine crosshair 6-18 . Pretty much a dedicated plinking 22 / squirrel rifle. Does pretty good with Federal automatch ( my go to cheap bulk ammo ) and will do dime size groups at 75 yards with Cci mini mag hp. Really haven't tried anything else in it.
I'm not sure mine would do dime sized groups at 7.5 yards with MiniMags. It's not been great and it really hates MiniMags.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had my MKII for years and years. I restocked it but it's been a great rifle.

My only complaint is the 10 round magazine hanging down, right where I want to hold and balance the rifle when shooting offhand.

I got a couple more 5 rounders so it's a 1st world problem..
I bought the stock from Sharp Shooter Supply and took a couple pounds off with a sander to get it to a shape I like.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by colodog; 12/15/23. Reason: picture

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 3 Mark IIs in 17HM2, 2 in the BVSS format and 1 in the FV format. They are accurate enough, but I prefer the comparable Marlin 800/900/XT series 'cause the stocks fit me better. I like the 5-round magazines of the Savage better than the 7-round magazines of the Marlins, but the better, for me, stock fit trumps the annoyance of the 7-round magazine extending well below the bottom of the stock on the Marlins. Marlin has 2 magazine options for the 17HMR/22MAG, a 4-round and a 7-round, but only offer a 7-round option for the 17HM2/22LR rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
I've had my MKII for years and years. I restocked it but it's been a great rifle.

My only complaint is the 10 round magazine hanging down, right where I want to hold and balance the rifle when shooting offhand.

I got a couple more 5 rounders so it's a 1st world problem..

Pics later today.

I look forward to seeing pics. I've contemplated changing out the stock on mine. A Boyds pro varmint is only $181.00, and looks very nice. However, I don't know if I want to invest any money into this one and just keep it in sleeper stock form... This stock works very well for the factory target sights too.

However, I do like my Boyds stock on my Savage MK1 single shot:

Just trying to weigh out my options right now..

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have the TR. Proly 50 rounds through it so far.
It liked Fiocchi HV, or course i dont have any more.

The Boyds stock is a POS, like everything Boyds.
The black pebble finish is thin and came off in a couple spots.
The forend is not symmetrical in contour so d icks w bipod usage kinda sorta.

Havent even thought of bedding yet.

Accutrigger I dont like. The factory triggerguard swapped.out for a DIP model and am using EGW base n rings.

Its also a clunky and ugly rifle.
After deer season mess w it a little.
Bought to maybe try NRL in the cheap class but my knee issues are proly gonna kill any thought of shooting weird obstacles.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shop had a Savage in an At One

I think they look horrible, and feel even worse.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Shop had a Savage in an At One

I think they look horrible, and feel even worse.

Some guys really like that At One stock. I never really cared for the looks. My most recent purchase has a thumb hole At One, and it's wearing on me. I still don't like some features, like the sharp edges on the bottom, and it looks fat. ha ha.. That is a 10/22 clone though, and it shoots well, so I don't think I'll change it. Or maybe I'll get out the belt sander and files and go to town over the winter. Reshape it, get rid of the sharp edges, and thin it down a bit???? Always options my friend.

Sorry to hear your TR is not working out. I really like the looks of that stock. Maybe it can be re-painted? If I decide to buy a stock like that, I'll keep that in mind and maybe give it a few coats of clear coat, to keep it from chipping..

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ill just spray bomb and clear coat mine. Easy fix.
But it shouldnt need fixed IMHO.
See if i reshape the bottom of the forend first.

Maybe Im too picky.
Just not a Savage fan

Like my CZ457 sporter way more.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/15/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
Ill just spray bomb and clear coat mine. Easy fix.
But it shouldnt need fixed IMHO.
See if i reshape the bottom of the forend first.

Maybe Im too picky.
Just not a Savage fan

Like my CZ457 sporter way more.

Wondering why you would not use the CZ for the NRL matches?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have had several MKll Savage rifles, and none of them disappointed me in any way. I left them bone stock. They were accurate, but not that accurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.