Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
X
Lost the big toe on my left foor last week due to a staph and bacterial infection that got into the bone.
Not a lot of fun............
Any tips or issues?
Get stiches out in the morning.
Blisters and ingrown nails are NOT something to ignore.
X

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds pretty nasty, diabetes would likely make that alot worse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cut my left thumb off 17 years ago. It took a little while but the body adapts. I realize it’s not a toe but your body will work it out.

I struggle shuffling cards.

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew a guy who lost one of his toes in a minie bike accident when he was a teenager. He told me it took him a little while to get used to it not being there. Kind of hard to explain he said, something about balance, or something like that

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Almost lost one, luckily I called a toe truck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lost mine just about two years ago. It aint that bad. Just wear sturdy boots or shoes and you won't have much of a problem.

Unless everything goes to hell like mine did and they chop off the whole foot.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Diabetes started on a co-workers toes and worked its way up. He passed a few years ago. 64 years old.

Another co-worker now in same predicament. Started with toes around 5 years ago. Likely a foot soon and both kidneys are shot. 63 years old.

Fellow who passed took reasonably good care of himself. Other guys diet was poor for a diabetic. Both remained on 21 turn shift work for far too long. Terrible schedule, especially with so much overtime demand.

Don’t know your health issues (other than being minus a toe) but would strongly recommended good diet, rest and following doctors advise. Pay attention to healing process and subsequent scar tissue. Don’t overdue it during or after recovery. My take from watching co-worker currently is such poor shape. Hope your recovery goes well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear that but...............
So that little piggy is not going to market anymore? What did you do with it? Did they let you keep it?

Last edited by AZmark; 12/14/23.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If not already, your running days will be over.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry about you toe
I have a chronic ingrown toenail on my big toe. I have had major infections and even had a doctor leave part of it in the toe. I told him he didn’t have it all. A few days later I dug that
extra large piece out.
I think about losing my toe every time I dig one out.
A friend had a girlfriend cut his ingrown toenail out with a dirty tool. He was in the hospital for a couple weeks and came close to amputation.
I am considering having the toenail completely removed.
I dont think it something to mess with even though I have had them since I was 12 years old and pushing 54. I have to remove 4-6 a year, its past getting old.

Last edited by 338reddog; 12/14/23.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Sorry about you toe
I have a chronic ingrown toenail on my big toe. I have had major infections and even had a doctor leave part of it in the toe. I told him he didn’t have it all. A few days later I dug that
extra large piece out.
A friend had a girlfriend cut his ingrown toenail out with a dirty tool. He was in the hospital for a couple weeks and came close to amputation.
I dont think it something to mess with even though I have had them since I was 12 years old and pushing 54. I have to remove 4-6 a year, its past getting old.

I just went through the permanent removal procedure and it wasn't all that bad. It's a process with a bit of discomfort but it did not impair any day to day activities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logger
Sorry about you toe
extra large piece out.

I just went through the permanent removal procedure and it wasn't all that bad. It's a process with a bit of discomfort but it did not impair any day to day activities.
How long since your procedure?
I was wondering if the nail bed is overly sensitive minus the nail

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by logger
Sorry about you toe
extra large piece out.

How long since your procedure?
I was wondering if the nail bed is overly sensitive minus the nail

My bud just permanently removes the part that keeps getting ingrown instead of the entire nail.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still have all my toes, but missing the left ring finger. It was a brutal divorce. Good news is that I can flip someone off with only 2/3s the effort once required.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The middle toe on my right foot was curling down, due to arthiritis (sp) and getting infected under a callous. Dr. clipped the tendon, and it healed up. Looks like its neighbor on the right is going to have the same thing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tell you something gross, older buddy over mine pinky toe started turning black, he hits the bottle pretty hard and smokes. Thought it was gout. Was hurting real bad and put it in some epson salt, half the toe fell off. He finally went to hospital. Turns out he had only 40% blood flow in both legs, next thing you know he was in surgery had bypasses and stints in both legs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On the bright side you don't have to worry about an ingrown nail anymore........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Knew a guy that lost his right thumb, got it hung up in a dally. He adapted fine, wasn't much on team ropin afterwards though. Good footwear, you should be good.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother amputated his own big toe with a lawnmower when he was a teenager.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

X
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
X
No nail bed anymore so should get a discount at the nail salon!!!!!!!
Yes I am past the running but lead a very active lifestyle so just dont want them cutting anymore off.
Thanks
And yes I forgot to call the toe truck. Ha Ha
X

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m a bag of hershey kisses away from losing my pinky toe

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Two on my left foot due too getting crushed by a tree. It’s will seem pretty normal after a month or two but I had ghost pains for a while. I avoid walking in the snow bare footed so as not to scare the little kids with my tracks. 😉

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Had Covid bad in 2020. Had a trach and was put on ventilator. Only 3 of us survived the ventilator. Came out with Covid toes and heel and a Stage 4 sacral wound you could put my fist in. Lost several toes, the heel and finally the left leg when it went septic. Could not move my arms or legs nor turn over. Totally dependent upon others for care and well being. Spent 14 months away from home in hospitals and nursing home. Like to have died many times. Had over 10 surgeries and procedures and pneumonia 8-10 X. Been home since 11/18/21. Still have home health nurse and wound care nurse 1X per week. I have a prosthesis on the left leg. I can walk with a cane or walker for short distances and can drive again. I do all the cooking. They told me I was supposed to name my prosthesis so I decided on Mr Bojangles (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fan & Jerry Jeff Walker). Nurse told me it should be changed to Bo Dangles; so be it. Can’t dance much. Don’t stand a chance in a butt kicking contest. Got the tee shirt with “One Foot in the Grave” on it. Grandkids refer to me as the Old Pirate (peg leg). I put on dude rag, eye patch, Bubba Teef and look the part when they come. I lost a leg not my sense of humor! PS Asked and received 50% discount from my podiatrist that does my pedicure!

Last edited by carrollco; 12/15/23.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I think losing a big toe may be counted as a disability because it’s so important for balance.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/15/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had "covid toe" 3 years ago . . . thought I might lose one or both. The wound care doc was amazed I recovered without losing either one.

29 years ago tomorrow I was finishing up some laundry room shelving and got my left thumb too close to the brand new carbide tipped table saw blade. Cut it off at the base of the nail. It surprised me how much I led with my thumb when opening a cabinet door. It hurts! And my thumb gets real cold real fast when hunting. It took me several months before I could button a shirt though.

Sorry about your toe, but you will adapt in time. Hope your pain is light. Just carry on.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Epsom salts can heal a rotten toe. Ernie the cobbler told me that. I belee dat

Epson salts and good ole bakin sodie, screw dr mercola

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I think losing a big toe may be counted as a disability because it’s so important for balance.

I worked with a guy that had almost all of his big toe removed on his right foot and half of his big toe on his left foot removed. We called him 8.5 ! He had pretty good balance considering his condition. He was not able to get disability because he was able to continue to do his job. He was a furnace operator at a carbon black plant.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ring3
Diabetes started on a co-workers toes and worked its way up. He passed a few years ago. 64 years old.

Another co-worker now in same predicament. Started with toes around 5 years ago. Likely a foot soon and both kidneys are shot. 63 years old.

I bet they were/are the type who avoid doctors. Some of the members here are the same way. At least they can put "patriot" on their gravestone if they live long enough to pay for one in advance.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wishing y'all the best, for those who are missing parts of your body.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by carrollco
Had Covid bad in 2020. Had a trach and was put on ventilator. Only 3 of us survived the ventilator. Came out with Covid toes and heel and a Stage 4 sacral wound you could put my fist in. Lost several toes, the heel and finally the left leg when it went septic. Could not move my arms or legs nor turn over. Totally dependent upon others for care and well being. Spent 14 months away from home in hospitals and nursing home. Like to have died many times. Had over 10 surgeries and procedures and pneumonia 8-10 X. Been home since 11/18/21. Still have home health nurse and wound care nurse 1X per week. I have a prosthesis on the left leg. I can walk with a cane or walker for short distances and can drive again. I do all the cooking. They told me I was supposed to name my prosthesis so I decided on Mr Bojangles (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fan & Jerry Jeff Walker). Nurse told me it should be changed to Bo Dangles; so be it. Can’t dance much. Don’t stand a chance in a butt kicking contest. Got the tee shirt with “One Foot in the Grave” on it. Grandkids refer to me as the Old Pirate (peg leg). I put on dude rag, eye patch, Bubba Teef and look the part when they come. I lost a leg not my sense of humor! PS Asked and received 50% discount from my podiatrist that does my pedicure!
Should change your nick name to LUCKY grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nope,

but came close with a dirty ol' rusty lawnmower blade, one of tham old models pre-safety handle ones. Damn, it hurt. Happened right near the door to the RV where I was livin, hopped inside, warshed it out good with a quart of isopropyl, wrapped a towel round it and hopped to neighbor's place. He hauled me the 45 minutes to the ER, quicker than waitin' on the bambalance. When i told doc about the alkeehaul rinse, he siad that must have hurt. (insert facepalm emoji) I told him not as much as the spinning mower blade did. A few stitches, nail never grew back and I don't miss it, one less to trim.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

it's ok now though, Dandee will keep them feetses clean if I fall asleep watchin the Dead People Programs on the ID channel

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The legendary alpinist Rheinhold Messner lost 7 toes and some fingertips to frostbite early in his career. He bought some new boots and gloves and later became a member of the 1st team to ascend Everest w/out O2. You will do well.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carrollco

Dang brother, that was a rough stretch. Glad you are with us, even if it's not all of you.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
my late brother-in-law lost his big toe (diabetes) anytime I seen him without at least socks on it just kind of give me the freaky's. and I'm missing two fingertips...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have seen some mashed off by pipe and casing in the oilfield years ago. One of my longtime coworkers lost 2 to a lawn mower when he was little. He joked that one of his neighbors asked him to quit walking in the mud barefooted. The tracks were scaring his children.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You can forget about your dreams of making it onto the US Olympic Track & Field Team.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Almost. I was cutting the grass once with tennis shoes on and hit a metal coat hanger with the mower. WHANG!! The neck, the part that goes over the rod, went through my right shoe just barely in front of the ball of my foot and under the middle of the big toe and second toe. The very end of it was sticking out the front of my shoe.

I was almost too scared to take the shoe off and look, but no damage at all…no cuts, scrapes, no bruises. 😅

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xtriangle
Lost the big toe on my left foor last week due to a staph and bacterial infection that got into the bone.
Not a lot of fun............
Any tips or issues?
Get stiches out in the morning.
Blisters and ingrown nails are NOT something to ignore.
X

My buddy had the exact same thing about a month ago. They took his left big toe. He was hunting for the first time this year last weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 280ACKIMP, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,505
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.