-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always had my match rifles cerakoted. Had one scope cerakoted with air cure to match the rifle. My 'Smith who is a close personal friend is an outstanding applicator. Have done sniper gray, coyote tan, and my last two barreled actions were done in matte black. Looks like a well done factory matte finish. Never had a complaint to give on cerakote. Wouldn't keep doing it if I didn't think I was getting good bang for my buck. Keep a coat of wax on em just for gits and shiggles and they remain looking like the day they were picked up.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The fourth was a used AR-15, Cerakoted by yet another gunsmithing company: Its finish held up best of all, with some wear mostly on the charging handle.
Minor edit - this was just an AR barrel, not the entire rifle, and likely a contributing factor in the finish holding up was because the barrel was protected by a handguard.
I've also had suppressors with cerakote finish, and the finish doesn't last long without a can condom. Also remembered that I had campfire knob/flute job on a bolt by Karl K, and the finish wore/chipped in a short period there as well.

I still posit that if a finish takes a special class to apply (which costs $2,150 per person, and requires a trip to Oregon), that the finish is
a:not a very practical finish for a number of smiths and their customers, and b: should only be applied by individuals who have taken the class.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by beretzs
Mine have been beaten pretty good and still seem pretty good.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Had it done in 17 when I built it. Cleans up real decent.

It does hold up pretty well, but will definitely mark up.

Had my first one done in 14, it has held up well, but definitely has a few marks/scratches.

Yes it will scratch/mark just like bluing if it is rubbed/banged against something hard like metal or rock etc.

However, I have also found that many marks that you get while in the field will disappear if you rub them off hard with a soft cloth and some gun oil or wax etc.

I had a rifle that Eddie Fosnaugh Cerakoted for me slid down a rough metal bar in a box blind one day while hunting deer. The barrel had a pretty good scratch on it and I assumed it was through the finish.
Just rubbing it off with my glove didn’t work and I thought the finish was toast. Really kinda upset me as the Cerakote had just been applied.

Over time I wiped that barrel down with a soft, damp cloth many times and the mark eventually disappeared completely. In fact I can no longer even remember where one the barrel it was marked.

Anytime my Cerakoted rifles show marks now from “field use” I’ll rub the marks hard with a soft, oily rag of some sort and then wipe down with a damp cloth. In my experience, the vast majority of the marks will come off with no I’ll effects to the Cerakote finish.

No, Cerakote is not perfect. But, in my experience it is a very good product when applied correctly.
Yes, eventually the sharp edges show wear(like the edges of a barrel muzzle or trigger guard etc.). But those edges wear with any coating or bluing.

I like the stuff.

Leftybolt

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have two Cerakoted rifles that have seen some heavy foul weather use. They still look fresh off the coating process.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Not a fan of the looks Cerakote gives myself.

Don't know what "looks" you like, but this is my CZ 550 9.3x62 that's Cerakoted with a blue-black finish, designed to look like matte blueing.

When hunting in Tanzania in 2011 toward the end of the hunting season the rainy season started, and the rifle got wet. But then the clouds drifted away and it got hot and dry quickly.

The slightly damp rifle than picked up a thin layer of red dust, and the PH told me my rifle had rusted. I told him no, it didn't it's just dust.

But he insisted it was rust, so I took one of the drinking-water bottles from the cooler in the Land Cruiser, and poured the the water over the metal parts of the CZ--and the "rust" washed right off!

[Linked Image]

That looks nice from here!

Excellent write-up MD.

So, who are the folks that do it right?

Last edited by Teeder; 12/06/23.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Teeder

Exactly what I was thinking. Or how do vet the local guys to make sure they’re doing it right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Exactly what I was thinking. Or how do vet the local guys to make sure they’re doing it right.

Anyone ... anyone ... Buehler?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Anyone ... anyone ... Buehler?

Karl Feldcamp @ Kampfeld Customs is one that does it right. I'm sure there are others but Karl's work is always perfect and the rifles he has done for me have held up well - I use my rifles but don't abuse them but they still look fine.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My Cerakote experience has been all positive. My first was my KS Mountain rifle. Neal Bauder did it when he was still in Wasilla. It’s seen some tough use over the last 20 years and is holding up well. Three others were done by whoever PacNor uses and all seem to be doing well. Couple haven’t had a lot of use but the 6x222 has had a lot of travel time in boats and on four wheelers in some often less than favorable weather. Still looks good and no problems with it coming off.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Lucky for me I found out a local gunsmith (https://www.bugholes.com) also does cerakoting. Will pay him a visit soon and pick out some colors. It will be nice not having to pay for shipping both ways.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Karl Kampfeld can't be beat.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Greg Young at Bugholes is awesome as well!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree 100% with MD, it is all in the application.

I have had one issue with Cerakote. A Remington 673 in 350 Magnum back in about 2003?

Was a neighbor/ boss's husband/ machinist/ smith/ fellow gun looney. He did not do a good job at all. Splotchy and started flaking immediately. Lesson learned.

I had my gunsmith work on some rifles and told him I would send the metal out for Birdsong finish. I had previously had one rifle treated with Birdsong and was very satisfied. When I told of my previous experience, he told me that the Cerakote was not applied properly.

On his urging, I gave Cerakote another try, and have not had any issues. I now have nine rifles coated by him with no issues. My guns get used. They show marks of use, but show me a rifle that has truly been hunted hard that doesn't.

Unfortunately my gunsmith is swamped and trying to decrease his backlog. frown

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine have been beaten pretty good and still seem pretty good.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Had it done in 17 when I built it. Cleans up real decent.

Beretzs,
Off topic I know, but what Trijicon is on that rifle?

Thanks!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Trijicon 3-18 10 Mile.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trijicon 3-18 10 Mile.
Thank you. Like it? How does it track? I know it’s probably bright.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It tracks real well. I shoot it a fair amount. Never blipped in RTZ or anywhere else.

I can’t say enough good about it.

Never have needed the illumination so, I’d say the glass is more than good enough for my hunting.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John is precisely correct. ANY surface must be prepped to allow ANY paint to hold. It doesn't matter if it's latex house paint, Krylon, or Cerakote.... It has to be able to "grip" the surface for want of a better term. Plastic factory stocks are a good example. You either have to sand them lightly to break the shiny surface, or spray it with an adhesion promoter, or better, do both.....
No proper prep, no hold. Rembrandt used canvas for a reason.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 9 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.