Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Currently the most significant bottleneck is large rifle primers. Plenty of small rifle and small & large pistol primers availible. When you get serious about you ctr fire pistol shooting you build a target backstop that allows you to recycle all the bullets you put in it. Molds , leadpot and a lubricator sizing set up. Once you realize there is nothing intelligent on TV and turn it off. You can listen to music as you sit at the bench and reload. Some think reloading is to repetitive and boring I don't I'm a productive person and every round I load saves me money over what the factory ammo fans pay. I like to shoot alot. Doesn't have to compete with shooting time, evenings and rainy bad weather days.
The left declared war on the right many years ago they have been attacking lead use longer than I've been alive I'm 68. Lead is the essential ingredient to affordable recreational shooting. Recycle it , recast it and use it right into forever. If you have 500 lbs of lead and use a backstop that allows you to recover it. Your loss just about stops. You go to gunshows and gawk around, you never score a damn thing. The trick is high speed low drag, factor out all dealer fugs what your looking for is some guy selling his uncles or neighbors estate for the widow. You will find all the equipment you need for way less than half of new cost. You have to pick those feet up and down high speed, low drag ,eyes forward on full scan for the stuff you need. Leave anyone who will distract you at home you are now to be a deal predator. Yeah and quit fugging around with anything but cash got it? Nothing has to cost a lot of money. Know what a deal is when you see and act on it. To be the most effective you need to think of what you need down the line as well as rfn. Questions?mb

California started the lead war, starting with their banning of lead wheel weights under supposed bull$hit "safety" concerns. Someone told their politicians people were melting them down and making bullets out of them which was the real reason for the ban.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Chisos
California started the lead war, starting with their banning of lead wheel weights under supposed bull$hit "safety" concerns. Someone told their politicians people were melting them down and making bullets out of them which was the real reason for the ban.
I don't doubt that for a second.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whats in the water you folks drink. There is no lead wheel weight ban except by state law.

https://earthjustice.org/press/2023...for-stalled-lead-wheel-weight-regulation

August 22, 2023
Advocates Declare ‘No More Delay,’ Sue EPA for Stalled Lead Wheel Weight Regulation
Millions of pounds of lead wheel weights contaminate the environment, exposing people to a highly toxic heavy metal

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Public health advocates represented by Earthjustice today sued the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for its unreasonable delay in regulating lead wheel weights, despite granting the advocates’ 2009 petition requesting regulation of the manufacture, processing, and distribution of lead wheel weights.
EPA granted the petition nearly 14 years ago but has yet to regulate lead wheel weights. Lead wheel weights are used to balance car wheels. Banning their manufacture, processing, and distribution would protect public health by eliminating a source of lead exposure.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don’t let me discourage you from getting into progressive press reloading, they are great and they are fast, but….

May I suggest you get something in between your single stage and a progressive.

The Lee 4 Hole Classic Turret Press. They are fast, very easy to set-up and use, almost foolproof (no double charges, or no powder at all) and very inexpensive.

I have one that I have set up for 223, 300BLK, 7.62x39, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 9mm, 10mm, 380. All I need to do to switch cartridges is change the Turret head, which are also very inexpensive, the quick change powder drum and the shell holder, it takes standard shell holders.

I have a Lee progressive set up for 45ACP, it’s fast and it’s fun, but changing to different cartridges can get quite involved.

If you are dead set on a progressive, PM Jim Conrad, he has the new Lee Progressive, see how he likes it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by steve4102; 12/16/23.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=LE&i=90304

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit/

Last edited by steve4102; 12/16/23.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by steve4102
Don’t let me discourage you from getting into progressive press reloading, they are great and they are fast, but….

May I suggest you get something in between your single stage and a progressive.

The Lee 4 Hole Classic Turret Press. They are fast, very easy to set-up and use, almost foolproof (no double charges, or no powder at all) and very inexpensive.

I have one that I have set up for 223, 300BLK, 7.62x39, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 9mm, 10mm, 380. All I need to do to switch cartridges is change the Turret head, which are also very inexpensive, the quick change powder drum and the shell holder, it takes standard shell holders.

I have a Lee progressive set up for 45ACP, it’s fast and it’s fun, but changing to different cartridges can get quite involved.

If you are dead set on a progressive, PM Jim Conrad, he has the new Lee Progressive, see how he likes it.

I like your work station.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Magnum_Bob, It sounds like you are a man on a mission. I like your style. I've shot 2 large logs into bits over the years with plans to split them up and make a large campfire to retrieve the lead. The oldest one has basically decomposed now but it was staked tight against a steep hill. I guess I could just dig up the remains and run it through a screening device of some sort.

I'm a scrounger and probably have enough lead to last me so a lead mining project is probably going to stay pretty low on my "to do" list. I have had good luck buying lead and tin from the Cast bullet forums. My mailman was not very happy with me while I was getting regular 75 pound boxes of priority mail though cool

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

I powder coat anything I cast these days. I'll post links to the guy selling consistently good powder (some brands apparently don't work as well) along with a link to some of the "glamor shots" people have posted to their bullet art work... some people literally hand paint designs before they put them in the toaster oven

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?205-Smoke-4320-s-Corner

Looks like the "glamor shot thread is up to 41 pages now cool

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251956-Powder-coated-bullets-pics-only/page42

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
2ndwind you have to either have bottomless pockets or be a man on a mission these days to participate at any level economically. That's me.. if you accept the basic precept of the left trying to put shooters out of business you then understand stockpiling the supplies you need it is not hoarding, hoarders buy stuff to resell at a higher price. Buying more than you need today or tommorrow is solid planning even the densest among us knows things get more expensive not cheaper. Take advantage of all the dumbfug litter bugs who leave their brass lay, pick it up. Same as if you saw money laying on the ground because you know it is..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/16/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are several levels of reloading and it is best to cover the needs you may have for how much you shoot. I do shoot a lot and have a lot of cartridges that I reload for.

The Rockchucker is always necessary as there are certain aspects of reloading that can’t be accomplished on a progressive press. The 550 Dillon works great for larger cartridges and the 650 still is the best way for all sorts of cartridges and faster reloads.

It is interesting to see all the varied ideas of what is necessary for case prep and reloading. Annealing isn’t worth the trouble in my experience as I have shot 10’s of thousands of rounds and never annealed a single case. I will admit that the 17 Remington does split more than any other cartridge I have loaded for, but I keep a box by the reloading bench, to throw cases like that and dump empty primers and powder containers into.

How much you shoot will usually dictate how advanced your equipment may be, but there is a lot of fluff related to reloading that isn’t really necessary to produce good quality handloads…

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! You guys are really set up.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I don't think I'll ever reload 9mm, 5.56 NATO, or 7.62X39. Range ammo for them are generally available at prices that would make reloading not worth it, apart from periods of scarcity, but then there's stockpiling during good times to deal with that issue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't think I'll ever reload 9mm, 5.56 NATO, or 7.62X39. Range ammo for them are generally available at prices that would make reloading not worth it, apart from periods of scarcity, but then there's stockpiling during good times to deal with that issue.

Well, maybe sometimes. But if you look around you can find a bucket of 5.56 brass for a pittance--same with 55 grain FMJ bullets. As for 9mm, 115 grain FMJ ammo can be had cheap but you pay a premium for about every other 9mm load. Besides, where can you buy 100 grain hard cast flat nose 9mm ammo at 1450 fps?

For me, hand loading covers two areas. Cheap ammo and ammo that can't be had without hand loading.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My reason for handloading may be a bit different than yours.

For rifles, I expect them to shoot well and hit where I am aiming. I test several bullet and powder combinations until I find my desired accuracy. Shooting cheap Military Surplus Ammo in my 223/5.56, 7.62 x 39 rifles have never given me anything other some recoil and some noise. As I said YMMV.

Handguns get accuracy tested as well, but the difference between bullet and powder combos can often times be negligible, so I mostly load for economy. My 9mm loads cost me the price of the primer and the powder, bullets are free as I cast my own and even if I purchased cast lead or plated bullets, the cost per box is way less than factory ammo.

As an example this in my AR-15 in 7.62 x 39. No cheap factory ammo can ever come close to this in my rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steve, was that group shot at 100 yards???

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by steve4102

You have some serious reloading action going on there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe

For me, hand loading covers two areas. Cheap ammo and ammo that can't be had without hand loading.
Much the same my 5.56 loads are right from Stick for AR use and you sure as hell can't buy them. I shoot a lot of black powder cartridge loads in the bp cartridges. They simply can't be bought online or over the counter. The more you depend on others to fill your needs the less your money is worth..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Other than a single 20 ga round and 9 pistol rounds, I've not fired a factory CF cartridge in over 25 years. All the rest were handloads. And I've shot more CF .22 ammo than factory RF ammo over the last 4-5 years. And yes, I know how to recharge primers and make BP. That said, I like to keep it simple.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 16Racing, 70 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,303
Posts18,526,016
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.