Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tallest Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm thinking about a 700 SPS stainless in 243... gives me the 700 action and 24" barrel to get started. Over the next to or three years I'll upgrade stock and eventually the barrel if all goes according to plan.

My question is, the remarms website lists all the 243s I can see as an 8" twist. This seems atypical for a 243, and I don't see it anywhere else in the industry.

Thoughts? Is it a typo, or is Remington trying to pioneer.... something...?

Matthew

“All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything.” ~ R Jordan
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Their new 243's are 1-8, not a typo. It is marked on the barrels of the rifles I have seen.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint..........

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Have they hit the gun racks yet? The SS 1-8 7 Mag has my interest. Haven’t found one online yet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint..........

Throats appropriate for the higher BC bullets? I would assume so, but you know... that whole assume thing! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most sites still list 1-9. I wonder how many still have old inventory to clear vs. how many just don't/won't update their sites.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Have they hit the gun racks yet? The SS 1-8 7 Mag has my interest. Haven’t found one online yet.

Saw a 243, 7 Rem and 300 Win SPS in Shydas in PA a few weeks back. Thought it was pretty cool they stamped the ROT on the barrel.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Most sites still list 1-9. I wonder how many still have old inventory to clear vs. how many just don't/won't update their sites.

I called Green Top in Ashland Va cause they showed some in stock and asked them to verify. Their ad said 1-9.25 but when they got back to me they were 8’s.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Who owns/is running Remington, now?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I see midway lists it as 1-8, but not in stock. At $799 for a stainless, and a $300 Greyboe Trekker black friday stock, that's a lot of gun for not much money.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see midway lists it as 1-8, but not in stock. At $799 for a stainless, and a $300 Greyboe Trekker black friday stock, that's a lot of gun for not much money.

I agree. Add a solid trigger and man, you have a lot of a great rifle for not too much bling.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint..........

Throats appropriate for the higher BC bullets? I would assume so, but you know... that whole assume thing! Lol!

There's LOTS of misconceptions about throat geometry. Hint.

Where the Fieldcraft shines is in COAL latitude(3.00"+),which simply allows longer and better BC's,from the same throat. That is where Remington is heavily compromised in return(2.815"-ish). Hint.

The 243 Win FC's are throated "normally",which is a very good thing. It Smooches 105 HPBT's where the typical 700 does,but has the leg room for better bullets. Hint.

Go Seex Kreed,to reap like powder capacity and gain COAL by default,with the shorter case over the 243 Win. Remington is REALLY fhuqking up,not offering it,as it's simply a better mechanical fit,to OEM 700 confines. Hint.

To get the most out of the 8" 243Win 700,you'll want to go AICS DBM,notch the receiver and drive binderless mags,to eek more COAL,to reap more BC. Hint.

Flipside being,Rem 700 L/A's are fhuqking exceptional in COAL latitude and can often use a longer throat. In 7mm RemMag,the RPM of yore,stabilizes .796 BC 180's. Add an Outlander and good glass and you are there. Hint.

Just saying..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Tallest Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks! Lot of good information here. I’ll be working on this setup for a couple years. I’m not expert, so I’ll take my time figuring out how to go from floor plate to DBM, which has always been my ideal. Right now just trying to start a build with a stainless action on a budget.

Thanks again!

Matthew

“All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything.” ~ R Jordan
T
Tallest Offline OP
OP Offline
T

My LGS said that SKU shows available. I’ll likely order one early January

Matthew

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing feeds/functions as utterly RELIABLE,as AICS DBM's. Mag selection matters. Hint.

Even aboard a CRF 22LR. Hint.

Just saying.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Haven't seen the stainless ones but my fav store up here has blued 243s with 8 twists

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

I agree. Add a solid trigger and man, you have a lot of a great rifle for not too much bling.

They come with Tunney’s now.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Big Stick, I don't always agree with you; Hell, I don't understand you much of the time (probably because you've forgotten more than I'll ever know), but I have to say your rifles, your gear, and your loading/shooting procedures are absolutely, ton-notch professional grade.

Of course that's all predicated on the premise that half your brain is not yet frost-bit . . . hint

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by beretzs

They come with Tunney’s now.

Aren’t they non adjustable though?

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've heard also that they are non adjustable

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.