Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll take up bocce before I'll use another Hornady product.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder
"I just seem to set myself in situations where having my scope set at a 200 yard zero has worked. In fact I've yet to shoot an elk past 225-30 long steps (can't remember exactly, just remember it was over 250 steps..."

Bill, I think you should load some 165 PT's for your .308 and sleep on it. I think you'll feel better in the morning. laugh

OK I did. Now I feel better.

175 gr ABLR arriving today grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Our group used my Mashburn with 175 ABLRs this year for two bulls and a cow. Worked great, broke bone and did what a good bullet should in my book.

Have had excellent results with the 147 ELD and 212 ELD X in the past.

Semper Fi
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must be the only guy on the planet that shoots elk at distances that don't require dialing. Not that I'm against longer ranges, I just seem to set myself in situations where having my scope set at a 200 yard zero has worked. In fact I've yet to shoot an elk past 225-30 long steps (can't remember exactly, just remember it was over 250 steps....).

Really like this statement. Farthest elk I have ever shot was 275 yards.

This year was 170 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

155gr LRX out of a 270 WCF 1:8 twist.
That must make me a Fudd, since I don't actively go out hunting to see how far I can kill an animal. But my freezer is happy.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JakeM78
I'll take up bocce before I'll use another Hornady product.

Due performance or philosophical differences with management?

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CRS
I must be the only guy on the planet that shoots elk at distances that don't require dialing. Not that I'm against longer ranges, I just seem to set myself in situations where having my scope set at a 200 yard zero has worked. In fact I've yet to shoot an elk past 225-30 long steps (can't remember exactly, just remember it was over 250 steps....).

This year was 170 yards.

That must make me a Fudd, since I don't actively go out hunting to see how far I can kill an animal. But my freezer is happy.

If you keep at it, eventually a longer shot will come along!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

The problem with 75gr Amax/eld-m is that ur probably gonna push them too hard for what they do out of that 223ai. ...

It's worth noting that those rounds I mentioned were all fireforming loads. They would have been impacting at less than a normal factory .223. I'd not seen results like that in either previous forming or formed loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
Shot a bull elk in October with 6.5CM and 143 ELD-X reloaded to factory specs (2700fps) - not impressed. First shot (200yds broadside) right in the pocket, second shot (200yds broadside bull moving) a bit back but still in the vitals, third shot hit rear leg at knee joint as bull was getting the hell out of there (300yds and moving). Caught up with him 1/2 hour later - shot him head on in the neck/front shoulder (50 yards through the timber) junction and he ran off again. Found again in the timber and shot him 2 more time (broadside) in the chest from 50 yards before he finally dropped. 4 bullets in the chest, 1 in the front and 1 in the hind knee. Not sure if it was the bullets or not enough gun. Bulls that I have shot in the past with 30-06 and good old 180 Interlocks go from 10 to 50 yards and drop dead.

Dang, thanks for the report even though it was poor.

After reading that, it makes me glad I steered away from the 143 ELD-X even though they shot great in my new 6.5CM. I did use the CM on a couple animals this fall, but went with the clunky old 125 grain NPT and they performed did great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All these new wizzbang bullet failures make me appreciate my old fudd Nosler partitions.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
150 ELDX out of our 7mm-08s

162 ELDX out of our 7mm Rem Mags

Lots of deer, lots of elk, even a couple of antelope.

Great results at a wide variety of distances.

You’ve all seen the photos, so I will forbear.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My concerns started with reading about "clickers" although I have only shot factory rounds up to this point. We shall see how that turns out.

Then there is the advertised velocity of 3000 fps from a 24" barrel with factory loads. I have never heard anyone getting that velocity. I have a Bartlein 26" barrel and cannot do 3000 fps. Yep, all barrels are different, but who is getting 3000 fps from factory 175 ELD X in a 7 PRC?

And now I am dealing with an entrance hole that looks like an exit with no penetration on a cow Elk at 247 yards.

I am starting to think Hornady is pissing on our legs and telling us it raining.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS

This year was 170 yards.

There's not a darn thing wrong with private, low land ranch hunts. I would, and have done them before, though not for elk. I am actually a touch enviouslaugh. I don't however think your message is a fair point to make concerning how the vast majority of North American elk hunters do their thing. If you're willing to pass on 300+ yard shots on heavily pressured public land elk due to your own ethics, then good on ya. I am not in a general sense, and won't apologize for it.

I should mention though that all but 2-3 of my elk have been sub 300 yards, but I sure was glad I had the ability to stretch it out further those few times.

Lots of people shouldn't be shooting at elk at 100 yards let alone 300+ due to their (lack of) shooting ability, but that is a completely different discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 7mm Nosler 175 partition has a bc of .519, not to bad and will surely not break up, even at very close range.
Wish they would make a 175 Accubond, that would be even more better..... wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No offense to anyone here, but they are designed to be long range bullets and if you think the dinky “Interlock” is going to hold them together when driven at higher end speeds it just isn’t going to be good. Slow them down to around 2700 start speed and they act excellent near and far.

I agree they “should” work relatively close out of their chosen cartridge (7 PRC) but they can be brutal.

I think any thin jacketed bullet like this is going to have intermittent results, cut vs button barrels, numbers of grooves, etc all come into place as well. Thin jackets in some cut barrels could be weakened to the point they hang together in flight but turn to VMaxs on impact. It’s not totally the bullets fault, we ask for a lot from them.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
No offense to anyone here, but they are designed to be long range bullets and if you think the dinky “Interlock” is going to hold them together when driven at higher end speeds it just isn’t going to be good. Slow them down to around 2700 start speed and they act excellent near and far.

I agree they “should” work relatively close out of their chosen cartridge (7 PRC) but they can be brutal.

I think any thin jacketed bullet like this is going to have intermittent results, cut vs button barrels, numbers of grooves, etc all come into place as well. Thin jackets in some cut barrels could be weakened to the point they hang together in flight but turn to VMaxs on impact. It’s not totally the bullets fault, we ask for a lot from them.

Good post. Know well the characteristics of the bullet you're sending and how they interelate with the idiosyncracies of the situation and you'll likely be pleased with the results.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by irfubar
The 7mm Nosler 175 partition has a bc of .519, not to bad and will surely not break up, even at very close range.
Wish they would make a 175 Accubond, that would be even more better..... wink

I shot 175 NP out of 7mm RM and WM many years back. They did open up a little better than the 338 NP's I ran around the same era, but unless you ran them through something substantial, they had a tendency to drill a pencil hole, especially for broadside chest shots at lower velocities. I can say that if you need a lot of penetration for oblique angle shots at pretty large game, the 175 .284 NP is you're huckleberry.

I don't have as much experience with the AB and other, similar bonded designs, but what I do has been positive and it is the direction I'd go if I wasn't happy with more common cup and core designs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There used to be someone on here, maybe BobinNH, that used to say, I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.

Maybe a bit of wisdom there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to Nosler the partition & Accubond have a minimum expansion velocity of 1800 fps. With a 7 mag pushing a 175 partition at 2950 you are good to 750 yds.
A 160 accubond will get you to 850 yds... that covers a lot of ground

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
According to Nosler the partition & Accubond have a minimum expansion velocity of 1800 fps. With a 7 mag pushing a 175 partition at 2950 you are good to 750 yds.
A 160 accubond will get you to 850 yds... that covers a lot of ground

Amen.....the partition and accubond are never a bad choice, ever.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teeder
There used to be someone on here, maybe BobinNH, that used to say, I don't want a bullet that works when everything goes right, I want one that works when things go wrong.

Maybe a bit of wisdom there.

Bob Hagel I bet.

Semper Fi
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.