Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
HalH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Probably not a lot of guys shooting the 257 WBY in a model 70. Personally I would not go with a real heavy contour barrel. It's just not needed on a nice hunting weight rifle. I wouldn't go 26" either. That's a hell no on the 26" barrel length for a hunting rifle. Unless you are just plopping it down in front of you and not walking anywhere with it. I still hunt, so packing a rifle is a must. I also do not use a sling much, if any at all when I'm hunting. In the thick areas, you need to be able to get a shot off in a hurry. So balance is key for me. I like a rifle to balance well when it's being carried. Sometimes I'll f around and carry my rifle with 1 finger, to see how well it balances. Sounds funny, but I like well balanced lightweight rifles. The model 70's are no exception to that either, when you couple them with the rifle barrel and stock. Your rimrock, I'm assuming is a Borden, which is similar to the Pacific Research. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With a Pacific Research stocked model 70, I'd expect the rifle to weigh sub 7 pounds before you add a scope:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This rifle weighs 7 pounds on the nose, with it's 24" sporter weight contour barrel. If I had to pick a contour, I'd go even lighter If I was rebarreling it. That would be my choice. Something like a long shank fwt contour. Brux "0" contour comes to mind. That was one of Bobin's favorites. A lot of guys f up a good rifle with too heavy of a barrel. The quality of the barrel is more of a factor, than going with a real heavy weight.

Where do you like the balance point to be on your rifle?

Hal

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HalH
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Probably not a lot of guys shooting the 257 WBY in a model 70. Personally I would not go with a real heavy contour barrel. It's just not needed on a nice hunting weight rifle. I wouldn't go 26" either. That's a hell no on the 26" barrel length for a hunting rifle. Unless you are just plopping it down in front of you and not walking anywhere with it. I still hunt, so packing a rifle is a must. I also do not use a sling much, if any at all when I'm hunting. In the thick areas, you need to be able to get a shot off in a hurry. So balance is key for me. I like a rifle to balance well when it's being carried. Sometimes I'll f around and carry my rifle with 1 finger, to see how well it balances. Sounds funny, but I like well balanced lightweight rifles. The model 70's are no exception to that either, when you couple them with the rifle barrel and stock. Your rimrock, I'm assuming is a Borden, which is similar to the Pacific Research. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With a Pacific Research stocked model 70, I'd expect the rifle to weigh sub 7 pounds before you add a scope:

This rifle weighs 7 pounds on the nose, with it's 24" sporter weight contour barrel. If I had to pick a contour, I'd go even lighter If I was rebarreling it. That would be my choice. Something like a long shank fwt contour. Brux "0" contour comes to mind. That was one of Bobin's favorites. A lot of guys f up a good rifle with too heavy of a barrel. The quality of the barrel is more of a factor, than going with a real heavy weight.

Where do you like the balance point to be on your rifle?

Hal

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
HalH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you.
How do you get the balance point where you want it? Turn the barrel down or weight the stock ?

Hal

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you.
How do you get the balance point where you want it? Turn the barrel down or weight the stock ?

Hal

You nailed it Hal. Plus scope and mounts will affect it some as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thank you.

Hal

It's a combination of barrel length, and contour and stock weight. The stocks shown in the above pics are fairly lightweight, so conversely, the barrel profiles need to be a little slimmer as well. Unless, of course, you like a barrel heavy rifle. No harm in that either. Some guys prefer that. Some, like myself, like a more neutrally balanced rifle. I don't really care for barrel heavy rifles, don't like a butt heavy one either.

When I was shooting trap competitively, I found out that i have a bad habit of dropping the barrel right before the shot. So a barrel heavy firearm just ads to that deficiency. Honestly, when hunting, most of my shots on game are taken from my 2 hind legs. Offhand, so I need all the help I can get. Keeping in mind, I'm talking hunting rifles here. That's just what I prefer. Others mileage may vary, as they say.

So, if you are wondering what I mean by "hunting" rifles, I mean the ones I take in to the timber and have to pack for miles in a day. Like when I'm elk hunting in mountainous country. I prefer lightweight over my longrange precison rilfes. I'm also not talking about my varmint rifles either. Those can have heavy barrels because they get shot off a bi-pod most times.

This pair of model 70's is what I consider the perfect hunting rifles:

They are 7 pounds without their scopes. Notice the scopes are not huge and heavy. They are 13 oz's with the appropriate reticle, so if a long shot does arise, I am prepared. My way may not be your way, so also keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

L
L
Originally Posted by easttex
I have two Pacific Research stocks waiting on employment. Pre 64 Model 70 weighs 24.4 oz., a Model 700 weighs 26.8 oz. Both with 1 " pads and swivel studs.

I would be very interested in buying your p64 Pacific Research stock. gbmotorsportgmail.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.