Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Gents,

It was pre-rut in Alabama this past weekend (still a couple weeks away) so we were getting a few does culled... win-win for herd management and the freezer. Was in an elevated stand over a food plot. A button buck came and piddled around in the plot for about an hour before a lone fawn burst out and nearly ran him off. (A hawk almost ran him off before that.) Don't know if the fawn is an orphan or already left mom... but based on all the other doe/fawn pairs we're seeing, I'm guessing mom didn't make it. Not long after the first dawn showed up, I had a deer blowing about 100 yards east of the plot. Both deer turned to check it out and the button buck actually squared up in that direction and started stamping. A few minutes later, another doe with twin fawns came out. She looked ragged... definitely still feeding them... barely bigger than the fawns. Then five minutes later, another, much larger/healthier looking doe, came out. She arrived from the opposite direction of the original fawn and kept her distance from the others. (I don't think this was mom.) Shot from about 80 yards. Slightly quartering away. She froze at the shot and bolted to the closest wood line. I had sight of her tail about 10 yards back in the trees and it almost looks like she was circling (think of a dog trying to nip its down tail) then all sound stopped. The button buck and second adult doe bailed but the three fawns stood around for a minute then went back to feeding for another 10-15 minutes. I waited for them to leave naturally before climbing down. The target doe was situated diagonally between the only two trees in the plot, so it was very simple to find exactly where she was standing. There was blood, but I was a little surprised not to find more. A consistent trail led led about 12 yards into the woods (it was a steady drip with occasional blotches of heavier bleeding) then the path veered sharp left and then wound to the right about another 25 yards into the thicker briars. Blood trail remained consistent, but now we found a few bigger smears and more of the blood was thick and clearly from a lung hit. Found her piled up in the thorns. As it turned out, the bullet had passed through. The entry was right where I thought, a few inches behind the shoulder -- and exit right behind the shoulder on the opposite side (quartering away -- photo below shows entry wound). The exit wound was about the size of a nickel and a shard of rib was sort of floating in it (broken but still attached inside). This seemed to explain the blood situation. The steady trickle of blood we followed was likely coming from the exit wound and the larger sign was what got coughed up as the lungs flooded. Hard to tell if that piece of rib "plugged" the exit wound some... it bled pretty freely though when poked it. I really can't complain about a pass through and a dead deer, but I'll confess that the size of the exit surprised me a bit. I'd just assumed that hollow point would take more with it on the way out. Regardless, the Marlin 336 got it done and looked good doing it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty rifle and nice doe! I was doing the same just over the line into FL and punched a tag two days later, also with a 336 using copper monos. To be fair, mine is a "Remlin" I got for cheap in trade years ago, but fit finish and function are all good and it'll hold 2.5 MOA pretty easily with factory ammo. The perfect rifle for hunting down here, honestly.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

My experience with monos in .30-30 is that the exit wounds you get generally aren't as large as they would be with faster cartridges such as .243 or .308, but the internal damage is just as devastating if you get in there and do an in depth necropsy. I've harvested probably a dozen whitetails with the Federal Trophy Copper 150 grain factory stuff, and they all left only moderate blood trails and had smallish exit wounds, but also all went down within 50 yards or so.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have tried some of the 30/30 specific Barnes
although I haven't hunted with any.
The accuracy wasn't there for me with my rifle,
so any testing stopped right there.
IIRC I sent the rest to Dinny when he was doing
bullet tests
The regular old Sierra 2000 and 748 have accounted
for a good many full freezer bags for me and
hasn't disappointed
The Speers before that ( is Speer even in business
anymore? I haven't seen a box of Speer anything
in ages )

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ranger99
IIRC I sent the rest to Dinny when he was doing
bullet tests

You recall perfectly. I have tested almost 2000 bullets now. Someday I'll figure out a way to document those tests and publish the data.

Medics bury their mistakes..
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm glad to hear some positive results from the Barnes 30-30 bullet. The factory Remington Hog Hammer ammo shoots beautiful little 3/4 MOA triangles out of my 336. Couldn't get close to that accuracy out of any of my handloads so I stocked up with enough of that ammo to last the rest of my life. I don't do a lot of woods hunting so that rifle doesn't get a lot of use.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats OP.

IMO if there’s a deer cartridge tailor made for basic cup and core bullets it’s the 30-30. Most every bullet designed for it is with the understanding that it will be used for deer hunting and inside of a hundred yards or so.

I’ve had some great Helen Keller type blood trails with budget factory 150 and 170 grain ammo.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I worked up some impressive loads for my Marlin .30/30 using the 150gn Barnes TSX and H335 with velocities around 2450fps. Sure, its ready for deer, any deer, but that bullet also covers bigger game if encountered. Its not limited to deer, being the point.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.