Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Need recommendations for good kitchen knife set

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't recommend sets. Not all the knives by one maker are the best for what uses you have. Mundial is an excellent brand. Made in Brazil, and originally set up by one of the big German knife companies. Same quality as Wusthof but at a much better price point. French carbon steel from KSabatier is also a good choice. They have a discount outlet in South Carolina and sell top quality at a very good price.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
One suggestion, which is the direction I took, is to contact VinceM here on the Campfire. He can set you up with about whatever you want. I went with stabilized maple with stainless blades. Picked them up a few at a time until I had a complete set.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rd7fox
One suggestion, which is the direction I took, is to contact VinceM here on the Campfire. He can set you up with about whatever you want. I went with stabilized maple with stainless blades. Picked them up a few at a time until I had a complete set.

Knives ,in general is a huge ,huge scope .

So in order to get to a target ,we'd need to know budget ,use etc. If the set is going to be used by a bunch of people ? Or one person who has some sort of experience with decent quality blades. For instance , I have a block out on the counter with a mix of hand made & production knives for anyone to grab,but I have a draw of knives that it's known,only I can use these ( OK my wife can get away with it )

So getting back to basics ,the Mundial suggestion by Sam would be a decent start ,Dexter comes to mind .

If the users are really abusive ( like the knives may end up in the dishwasher ! ) ,then I'd suggest the injection molded plastic handles . For production I'd definitely stick with thin stock ,like the Dexter,Mundial,Victronox,Sabatier etc

It has taken me years to put together a pile of hand made kitchen knives that I like and use ,it is fun but not for everyone

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Good for general use. The Dexter Russell white handled ones. Used by many commercially.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MLC
Need recommendations for good kitchen knife set

Budget?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
$300 to $400

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have more top end custom kitchen knives than I can count; I went to college after working in rendering plants for the summer. (Wilson, Tichbourne, Kramer....BEST of the best!)

IME:

A chef's and petty from here, then later a small paring. New West Knifeworks

Later, add a TRM Atom as a folder to use barbecuing etc, with the same chef's profile, and you're set forever... TRM

(My sister owns 2 restaurants, 2 bars, and a huge catering operation, and this is what she uses...)

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dexter Sani safe.
10” chef
Straight boner, curved boner, and a couple paring knives would be a good start.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have 2 sets Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S which I use daily and Victorinox Forschner Fibrox that are less expensive and nice for butchering. I am picky here and am known for having sharp knives ready to work.

IC B3

M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
What do think about this set? Victorinox Swiss Classic 14 Piece Walnut Swivel Knife Block Set. Price is $250

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MLC; 12/20/23.

Winston Church
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Here is another set I’m looking at for around $345. ZWILLING Twin Signature 19-Piece German Knife Set with Block, Razor-Sharp, Made in Company-Owned German Factory with Special Formula Steel perfected for almost 300 Years, Dishwasher Safe.

Winston Church
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
NANFANG BROTHERS Knife Set, 18-Piece Damascus Kitchen Knife Set with Block, ABS Ergonomic Handle for Chef Knife Set, Carving Fork, Knife Sharpener and Kitchen Shears, Knife Block Set. $300

Winston Church
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So many choices. Henckels Forged Accent 20 Piece Self Sharpening Knife Block Set with Black Handles. $399

Winston Church
M
MLC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Is carbon stainless the best material

Last edited by MLC; 12/20/23.

Winston Church
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MLC
Only for a special very thin Japanese knife that you will baby and wipe down and tuck away every time you use it without delay. The exception would be old butcher knives that are working knives and you will take sandpaper to if necessary to remove a little surface rust. Honestly they are OK, but you have to take more care of them. I can use my Old Hickory butcher knife like a meat clever if I want without chipping it like a stainless blade would, but I prefer stainless for day to day living and preparing real food in the kitchen. I live in a log cabin though and wash everything in the big kitchen sink.

There are some really good stainless blades out there, but I do prefer a big carbon steel butcher and cleaver and fillet if I was processing a deer. To chop onions, potatoes, and medium soft vegetables I prefer a good stainless.

Last edited by RHClark; 12/20/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Costco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of knife gurus on this site that are going to recommend a high end set with terrific steel. Maybe in a restaurant or if you want a status set sitting on the counter, but in reality, what are you going to do with it? Cut up a tomato, carve a turkey or slice up some vegetables like most of us. That isn't boning out an elk or cutting meat all day long. Good knife steel in the hard upper Rockwell 60's is going to be tough to sharpen. Near any kitchen knife along with a good sharpener will be more than a match for any regular kitchen duty. I would include the sharpener with what ever you buy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My wife has a set of Baccarat knives purchased on sale that are as good as anything in the kitchen.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MLC
for some knives, in some applications

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.