Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't get why anybody'd want a hunting knife with a cord handle that's just going to get soaked with blood.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I own several super steel expensive knives but if I had to process game with just one knife to survive it would be my carbon steel Old Hickory butcher knife. These days I much prefer a steel that gets shaving sharp with a couple swipes on a steel to a super steel knife that stays sharp longer but is much harder to sharpen.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I believe you get what you pay for. Trust me, I get it. Fancy custom knives are great. Love them. But, give me thin, pointed high carbon, under 60 bucks and I'm happy. A dang mora for 10 bucks completely changed my mind on knives. Cold steel us getting a little expensive. I bought a gerber the other day with a scandi grind that I'm needless to say unimpressed with compared to a mora. Right now I'm in the mora for gut/skin and a victorinox for a boner category.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As many gazillion carbon wood scale butcher
knives that Ontario/Old Hickory produced,
the supply sure dried up after Ontario closed
their doors
Looks like Dexter/Russell/Green River is
kinda edging away as well. I tried to buy a
wood scale carbon butcher a while back, and
was told that they were discontinued and
would have to find a NOS somewhere

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just gutted, skinned and disassembled a buck today with this. I did have a 8 inch breaking knife for cutting steaks.

Mora Pro

Last edited by JakeM78; 12/18/23.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I don't get why anybody'd want a hunting knife with a cord handle that's just going to get soaked with blood.

Well of course you wouldn't understand it silly...you hunt.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I was thinking the same thing myself. After one animal it'd be crusty..

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A knife maker buddy of mine gave me a “shop knife”blank out of AEBL to try, it had off set grinds and wasn’t polished without slabs. It did have a good edge but the handle was uncomfortable so I wrapped it in paracord. I agree I would a nice handle and pins on a $200 knife but it works ok for what it is. Yes they get soaked in blood but washing the knife cleans it up ok. I have paracord thongs on all of my using knives and they get soaked in blood so it’s really no different.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I just picked one of these up Bob Dozier Folding Hunter with Desert Ironwood and Mother-of-Pearl Inlay so hopefully it becomes one of my favorites.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My thought exactly. Also, no finger guard to prevent your hand riding up that grip. That James Sponaugle knife earlier in the thread got my curiosity. It had a really nice drop point shape with a great finger guard, scale shape to give you tactile feel for blade angle and a good handle butt with lanyard hole..

I'll share something that some others may have experienced. I've had a number of knives over the years that have felt incredibly sharp, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to work worth a flip on processing deer. They don't have a "grab" when cutting hide, flesh or sinew. A Knives of Alaska knife comes to mind. Part of the issue seems to be "toothiness" (for lack of a better term) of the blade. I think this might be the lack of "micro-serrations" of the blade steel when it's sharpened. I commonly use a Gatco or Lansky sharpener. I've had a number of knives that are much more "usably sharp" when I stop with the medium stone, rather than continuing with the fine or ultra fine stone. I think this is also a factor with a number of the blade steel types too. I think certain steels (and maybe also the hardening processes) lend themselves to better blade edges that have that "grab" when you slice into something.

So, everything is a balance and for me, staying sharp for 50 deer isn't an issue, because I can do some interim sharpening as needed. The end of the season, I'll put the edge back right, but in between, I do my touch-ups that keep me going.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
gsganzer-

You are absolutely correct about the lack of a finger guard. Why more bladesmith's don't use them I've no clue. I've been looking hard at the Sponaugle Magnacut steel knives. Really good point about the razor sharp ones don't cut as good. My buddy who made several knives said the razorblade sharp knives dull so much quicker than the stoned sharp ones because the stone sharp ones have a " jagged " edge that the eye can't see but is there. Great thread

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Hunting knives can come in a lot of configurations. Many do the job well. I’ve posted this before. But this is a Canadian Moose that I completely disassembled alone with a Havalon Piranha and three blades. One lives in my pack along with half a dozen blades. I prefer a good 3-3.5” fixed blade, so I pack one of them everywhere as well. They get the most use.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I was thinking the same thing myself. After one animal it'd be crusty..

I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?[/quote]

Gold pure gold.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why did you delete your prior post? :

Originally Posted by Jimmypop
Gutting animals!!! Field dressing the heart and lungs seem to for some reason have blood in them.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Gutting animals!!! Field dressing the heart and lungs seem to for some reason have blood in them.

To which my reply was "why do you stick your knife and hands into the heart and lungs"...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

To which my reply was "why do you stick your knife and hands into the heart and lungs"...

Now you are just playing around. I deleted being nice as I'm sure you are joking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm no fan of cord wrap either, and have no desire...but why in the hell do your knives get "soaked with blood"?

Gold pure gold.[/quote]

You'd do well to stop the snarky comments and learn from your betters...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Now you are just playing around. I deleted being nice as I'm sure you are joking.

No, I'm not. I'm deadly serious.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

No, I'm not. I'm deadly serious.

Must not do much killing if you ask questions so stupid! Snarky is a knee jerk reaction to stupid questions.

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 55 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.