-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking at a used one now. It's a .308 and has the muzzle brake.

I know it's removable, but haven't seen anywhere that it says that it comes with a threaded cap to replace the brake with. Kimbers site was no help.

I see the brake as a good tool at the range, but wouldn't want to hunt with it.

Whadda ya know?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My threaded Montanas came with the threaded cap. The brake had to be purchased as a separate accessory.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Some of my Kimbers came with both others you had to purchase the brake.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, so if the owner doesn't have it, a call to Kimber should procure one...Thanks guys!

BT53

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The brake came with rifles like the Mountain Ascent, and had to be purchased separately for the Montana.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
The brake came with rifles like the Mountain Ascent, and had to be purchased separately for the Montana.

Brad, this rifle is the Hunter Desolve Blak in .308.
It comes from the factory with the brake. I'll use it and light loads to get the grandkids comfortable at the range, but would rather not use it in the field..... hence my interest.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

BT53

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Normally, you can get generic thread protectors....but I *think* Kimber uses some sort of odd thread on their brakes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad, this rifle is the Hunter Desolve Blak in .308.
It comes from the factory with the brake. I'll use it and light loads to get the grandkids comfortable at the range, but would rather not use it in the field..... hence my interest.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I have that same rifle, except in 6.5 CM - mine came with both a brake and threaded cap. The brake is still in the box.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jason280
Normally, you can get generic thread protectors....but I *think* Kimber uses some sort of odd thread on their brakes.
Kimber does use an odd barrel thread. I had a smith turn the knurling off the thread protector, and he had to make a custom mandrel for the task.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I see the brake as a good tool at the range, but wouldn't want to hunt with it.

Whadda ya know?

I have several rifles with brakes. I actually prefer hunting with them because they often allow me to actually see, through the rifle scope, my quarry's reaction to the bullet impact. Of course, using a rifle with a brake while hunting makes wearing adequate hearing protection imperative, but I'm good with that.

But, if you're planning to remove the brake while hunting, you might well consider removing it at the range as well. Shooting at least one group without the brake would help verify that your zero hasn't changed.

In my experience, POI, even group size, may be significantly affected when you remove the brake, and vice versa.

Last edited by rabst; 12/20/23.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,380
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.