Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What do you guys suggest? I’ve got mouth calls and can run those fine. I need to replace my electronic call. I haven’t used it in years and it’s gone tits up. I was thinking FoxPro but I’m not sure on the model. Coyotes and cats would be the only real targets. Playing with pigs could be fun. Ideas and experience?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Wildlife Tech. Or Lucky Duck. Both have some of the best sound library out there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never heard of wildlife tech before. I’ll have to check them out.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
WT been around long before this board and Fox-pro and no one has caught up to them yet. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you aren't a big time caller I wouldn't invest in a very expensive caller. If your a decent caller with hand calls an ecaller is just for certain/special situations, again you more than likely don't need a top of the line caller.

I have used everything from record player, thru tapes, CDs, homemade remote callers to modern digital callers. Stand location and management are 90 percent of a stand.

I hunt a lot of close cover and use a 20yr old Minaska, original FP CS-24 and the small WT. Each has 100+ sounds and I use pretty much the same ten sounds on each, they are all on the presets so no scrolling.

WT
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][img]http://[/img]

CS-24
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Minaska
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Sub $100 JS
[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 12/24/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used to predator call a lot, but got busy with kids and work. My son is wanting to get into it again so I’m just looking for something we can use and I can teach him. I would guess we’ll use it quite a bit, and when he gets older he and his friends will use it a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn
't worry too much about brand name just pick the features you like. Any thoughts on sending your old one in and having it refurbished if it worked well for you

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an old Jonny Stewart that takes tapes and a Primos Alpha Dog that just quit working. It’s beyond being fixed I believe.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The last I bought and probably ever will buy is a FoxPro Fusion. Sound is fine, the distance the remote works and the big buttons etc on the remote itself are what sold me. Very happy with it.

Primary use for this caller is on the super windy days. I’ve always been happy and done well in any other weather conditions across the west hand calling.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a FoxPro X24 from MFK calls. MFK has their own 24 bit sounds that they load onto the caller. They are supposed to be much clearer and realistic than the stock FoxPro sounds. Check em out. Haven’t gotten my caller yet, ordered it this past weekend.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My #1 producing sound is an old JS sound that was transferred from a CD. Coyotes don’t pay nearly as much attention to sound quality as they do to the details you put into your setup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are opinions on the FoxPro Patriot? I’ve seen it for sale at a good price on closeout. I’m just thinking about getting into predator hunting. Really just as a way to kill time during the slow winter months. I know that the brand has a good rep but I’ve read some reviews that the lower tier models aren’t always loud enough.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
You read right lower priced or smaller callers not very loud, so you have to set up closer to targeted animal or make more stands in given area if you don't know how to locate. Louder callers tend to get the targeted animal more excited as they think the prey is close by. Also if you buy a good caller you shouldn't have to buy extra sounds, they should come with it to start with, or company give you a choice of what sounds you want. By time you get done buying those extra sounds you could of just went out and bought a higher end caller with great sounds to start with. Also when comes to sounds there is no silver bullet like some may think, as some sounds may work well in one area and not as good in another as many coyotes are different as to what they like or what gets them excited. That guy with just one magic sound either don't call that often or perhaps has a high coyote population so calling to fresh ears each time out, deception! You want to test a sound as to how well it works then go work a group of coyotes day in and day out and see how many out of that group you can get with that same sound, not many!

Last edited by TA 17 Rem; 12/25/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

I appreciate the detailed explanation.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used Fox Pro for I suppose 20 years. Prior to that a Johnny Stewart tape caller. Having a caller with 100s of sounds is not necessary. For coyotes, 4-6 coyote vocals plus maybe 10 different prey distress sounds will do it all. Add some sounds for crows, pigs etc if you like. My caller came with I believe 100+ sounds. I had it re programmed to 20 or so calls that I use.
One thing that was important to me is an easy to read, easy to use remote. I have a Fox pro C24c, it does a vg job on coyotes.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I started with different Hand/mouth calls, and a Johnny Stewart record player call, that took a truck load of D batteries to operate. All the electronic ones are a big upgrade. I bought a Lucky Duck Rebel (one of their lowest priced models) many different sounds preloaded, as well as great volume and ease of use. been pretty happy with it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
TWR got this one right. Of all the various aspects of coyote calling , the machine you use to make the sound is probably the least important part of the stand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I keep thinking I should get serious about calling predator's. have a game call and even used it a few times. But the only animals I ever saw respond to it were deer to the fawn in distress call! I think my heart is just not in it!

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
TWR got this one right. Of all the various aspects of coyote calling , the machine you use to make the sound is probably the least important part of the stand.
Can't call em if they don't hear you. Lets say you got a group of coyotes in your calling area. You go in first day and have five show up but only manage to kill one, so then you come back few days later and try them again. They come back into the call but lock up just out of range, that sound you used first time in just isn't working. (must got the easy one) Other prey sounds not working as well so then you try coyote vocals, but your caller is limited on them, and they are not the best recordings. So, what you guys going to do now just leave them for the year? or go back to hunting over a bait pile. LOL I've worked multiples by calling to them twice in a day sometimes more and then come back a day or two later and get the remainders. You can't do that with cheap callers with a limited sound library and poorly recorded sounds. I used to hunt ranches a day after a calling contests, and the F-P guys always left plenty of coyotes behind for me to call. A good caller sits right up there with a good rifle and caliber, you need both if you want to kill high numbers. Simple as that and I don't care who you are.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Let’s say they can hear you voice howling and because you set up properly you kill all 5 on the first stand with a cheap AR-15 in 223.

It isn’t the call Timmy, it’s the caller.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or even better, you lip squeak them in and kill ‘em with a bow
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
and you use a suppressor.?????

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I use a foxpro hammer jack. Had really Goodluck with it. Always have a circe or sceery mouth call with me as well.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I killed a lot of critters with a Foxpro Scorpion. Small little thing but worked well. I have had two issues with it. One, the card just flat out disappeared. I don't know it it fell out or what happened.
What I am dealing with now, is it flat out doesn't work. I hadn't used it for a while and when I went to use it, just didn't work. I need to send it out for repair, but have replaced it since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.