-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Working good so far. Geez, it's worth it just to skip the ads on YouTube.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hopefully it gets a Linux port. Very happy with it on my mobile devices.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Working good so far. Geez, it's worth it just to skip the ads on YouTube.
It snuffs out those YouTube ads? How about those on news channels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Brave as my primary browser, but I do disable the Wallet and Rewards features. It's fast, secure, does not report your data, and has a fairly effective built-in ad blocker. To make it ad-tight, I add uBlock Origin. Brave also has a search engine (also called Brave) that does not track your searches and is very good.

Duck Duck Go started as a privacy search engine and later added a browser. Brave did the opposite. DDG, however, has since come under suspicion for not being as private or secure as promised. Either one is FAR safer than Edge/Bing or Chrome/Google, however.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes for a few years and it works well. I plan on going away from Google and trying out Proton , I will have to update a bunch of sites with new mail address but so what.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As far as I know, the DDG browser for PC is new. It's still in Beta. But it's been reliable so far, though I can't figure out how to clear history.

When you pull up a YouTube video, it asks if you want to watch it on YouTube or in "Duck Player". If you select Duck Player you don't get any ads. But you can't comment, either. Also, you don't get any targeted ads in DDG, and no targeted recommendations in YouTube. I have no idea how it works on news videos.

As far as Proton, I've been using Protonmail for a few years. Works as well as any other email provider. I have a couple of accounts - one for this site for when I sell in the classifieds, and another I use when I am buying things. I just let the latter one fill up with all the crap mail it collects. I almost never use my Gmail account. And only use my Yahoo account for more personal stuff. Protonmail is great. Accountsd are easy to create and delete.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been using Brave for quie a while as well as DDG. Sometimes you have to switch to Google and\ Chrome to find intended search targets but overall I feel better using them.
I am migrating (finally) from my at&t email account to mailfence for privacy. So far so good. ATT was barraging leftist woke MSM crap nonstop.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh Lort
God forbid Commodore Cut and Paste is cut off from news updates. Yes by all means get all 954 news bit site migrated over.

Save us Obi Won of the anchor desk

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
As far as I know, the DDG browser for PC is new. It's still in Beta. But it's been reliable so far, though I can't figure out how to clear history.

When you pull up a YouTube video, it asks if you want to watch it on YouTube or in "Duck Player". If you select Duck Player you don't get any ads. But you can't comment, either. Also, you don't get any targeted ads in DDG, and no targeted recommendations in YouTube. I have no idea how it works on news videos.

As far as Proton, I've been using Protonmail for a few years. Works as well as any other email provider. I have a couple of accounts - one for this site for when I sell in the classifieds, and another I use when I am buying things. I just let the latter one fill up with all the crap mail it collects. I almost never use my Gmail account. And only use my Yahoo account for more personal stuff. Protonmail is great. Accountsd are easy to create and delete.

Have had Duck on a MacBook for a while. Thanks for the info on Proton, I want to get completely out of Gmail and any google services.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My next step was getting one Drive and Bing the hell out of my life.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI: Google owns DDG.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Proof of that?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Not accordinging to DDG.

https://duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo-h...have,since%20our%20founding%20in%202008.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/23/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The amusing thing is that if you search for "Duck Duck Go and Google" you'll get very different results if you use DDG or Google to do the search.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 37 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,228
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.