Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I shoot deer at what I consider long range, 500+yds on a regular basis. The fact is, very few people if any can out shoot me when I'm shooting at 100yds and their shooting at 500yds. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, range matters.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's their tag, let em do as they wish. Around the house on our own farms when I'm shooting does and coyotes, I'll stretch my rifles legs a bit. I tend to hold shoulder. Never center mass on deer. Don't blink an eye to shoot at a doe at 500 or so. 600 is an absolute bomb, I don't care what anybody says. Now if it's an out of state deal or an outfitted hunt, I want to be inside 300. 200 is better. I run around with the magnums here in western oklahoma but when I'm out of state, I usually take a simple 06, 280, 284, whatever. Hate to save up 10 years of points to shoot a critter in the azz and lose it. I got the rifle, scope, shoot all the time out to 6, but you don't have a bench or sand bags in the field. Most of the time, those shots are "right now" too. But hey, each to their own.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And what Shrap said about a million is 20 and a billion is 40. Lot of truth to that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I would be willing to bet the farm that a way higher % of animals have been crippled and lost by average hunters/shooters, than animals that have been crippled and lost by excellent hunters/shooters at long range.

that`s a very good statement and true , i have seen these things mostly by residents with poor shooting who live in their own state , most non-residents who go hunt in other states are very prepared and have practiced with their firearm , muzzle loader or archery equipment .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Bottom line is people not accepting responsibility for shots , regardless of distance.
Once the trigger is tripped we own the shot. And many don't accept that, they don't care if they hit the animal , killed it or wounded it.

Many people I meet at the range figure they are long rangers because they have the gear, yet they never get off the bench or take random distance shots, rather they go to each distance progressively.
It does not lead to good shooting practices when it comes to hunting , regardless of distance.
Cat

I was at the range right before deer season opened up over here. A guy staples his cute deer target up on the backer board, fires off 5 shots, and calls it "good":
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Just to be clear, that deer target was shot from a "hunter", from the bench, and using sand bags.

After he left, I walked down and took a picture of his target. To a lot of "hunters", this is "good enough". It's pretty revolting, if you ask me. The guys that are making solid hits, are the guys out there practicing.

Shoot from field positions, off your pack, or even in the prone with a bi-pod, if you live in a place like I do, and can do that in some areas. Any and all practicing is better than no practice at all.

Me shooting that target at 300 yards with my M1917, all heart lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/27/23.

KB

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting marks on someone else's target and saying you shot the heart is pretty lame.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting marks on someone else's target and saying you shot the heart is pretty lame.
Cat

It was A joke Kittycat, get a life will ya! lol

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crap like that never comes off as a joke when people know who you really are
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat

Says the biggest know-it-all blowhard on AO!

Here comes the Posse!

KB

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
I thought things were bad and then here comes Coyote 10. Can't wait to see who can top him?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat

Here comes the Posse!
The only posse after you is in your mind.
Cat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bottom line is people not accepting responsibility for shots , regardless of distance.
Once the trigger is tripped we own the shot. And many don't accept that, they don't care if they hit the animal , killed it or wounded it.

Many people I meet at the range figure they are long rangers because they have the gear, yet they never get off the bench or take random distance shots, rather they go to each distance progressively.
It does not lead to good shooting practices when it comes to hunting , regardless of distance.
Cat

I was at the range right before deer season opened up over here. A guy staples his cute deer target up on the backer board, fires off 5 shots, and calls it "good":
Just to be clear, that deer target was shot from a "hunter", from the bench, and using sand bags.

After he left, I walked down and took a picture of his target. To a lot of "hunters", this is "good enough". It's pretty revolting, if you ask me. The guys that are making solid hits, are the guys out there practicing.

Shoot from field positions, off your pack, or even in the prone with a bi-pod, if you live in a place like I do, and can do that in some areas. Any and all practicing is better than no practice at all.
could be he is sighted in for max. point blank range on aa 6" target, all my mid range rifles that I don't dial are sighted in 2.75" high at 100, its the easy way to hit a deer's shoulder out to 400

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I think that the guy does not appreciate the taste of BACKSTRAPS!

As I said the average hunter cripples more big game at short range, than excellent shooters do at long range.

How many yards was that target set out at?

That target was on our 100 yard range. The guy was shooting from the bench, off of sand bags.

I was shooting my girlfriends new to her 243 win that day.

Then I went over to the 400 yard range. Why not just get a scope wtih the appropriate reticle, when shooting the distance?? This set it high and hope you are in the vitals is just as bad as guessing.

If you are planning on shooting 400 yards, you might as well shoot at 400 yards and confirm your equipment.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner

Cat

could be he is sighted in for max. point blank range on aa 6" target, all my mid range rifles that I don't dial are sighted in 2.75" high at 100, its the easy way to hit a deer's shoulder out to 400

Shooting a 6-7" group off of a bench qualifies a guy to shoot out to 400 yards because he has his sights adjusted high for MPBR? I guess that is the mentality of some hunters these days and days way past us.

I for damn sure would not want to be responsible for the kind of carnage that guy does in the field.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat

Here comes the Posse!
The only posse after you is in your mind.
Cat

Ya sure Kittycat, you know exactly who I am talking about. I can even post threads of your posse stalking me here as was done on CGN until they got me banned, but I will not waste my time.

You're an idiot, a cowardly internet bully, and a liar, so GFY.

Happy New Year cool

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometimes you hunt areas where you could be shooting 50 yards or 450 and never know where the game will show up, if your not shooting 500+ not much use to dial. Oh BTW while your showing targets.
3 shots at 750 yards, shot prone off a bipod
https://imgur.com/x7as2zg
It ain't hard
And also it's not guessing, +3" at 100 with most modern cartridges =
100 yards, hold lower shoulder,
200 yards hold mid shoulder,
300 yards hold upper shoulder
400 yards hold on hairline

Run the numbers and prove me wrong

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scotty
I think each person needs to know their limits. Based on what they have practice at. After 400 yds I am not comfortable. If I was going to be taking longer shots I would need to practice.Some one that has practice longer shots will be able to shoot farther that I should be shooting.

Scotty;
Good morning or perhaps afternoon already where you're out on a raid, regardless I trust that Christmas was a good one for you and you're well.

Thanks for your reply sir, I agree with your thoughts on the subject completely.

As many know, I've been involved in teaching the BC Hunter Safety course at our gun club for 30+ years and the subject of "how far can I shoot and/or how far is it ethical to shoot" comes up pretty much every year.

The answer I've come up with is that if the shooter can hit a standard paper plate at that distance each time and every time, that's how far they're able to shoot at game. I'll stipulate too that they need to hit the plate from the chosen shooting position if it's a firearm.

The theory being paper plates are reasonably inexpensive and available targets and don't wreck arrows that badly either, so whether the new hunter is going out with a bow, in a shotgun zone, a muzzle loader, great grandpa's ancient .303 LE or something newer, they have a way to measure their ability.

That said, when a buddy and I used to run the center fire rifle shoot at the same club's annual Turkey Shoot, when we put up archery targets such as bsa1917 showed and had offhand matches, the results were both educational and somewhat dreadful at the same time. This was folks who had enough confidence in their abilities to come and compete, some reasonably serious competitors at that.

My friend and I still talk about how abysmal most folks were shooting from standing, unsupported positions.

Some respondents have mentioned shots at game that was spooked or at least aware of the hunter and I believe that's definitely a factor as well or surely can often be.

Usually if we stretch the distance to the target, there's a better chance of it being relaxed and unaware of us which should be a plus I'd think.

Of course other than getting the distance ranged correctly, the wind will become more of a factor out there too, so it's a mixed blessing.

Thanks again for your reply and all the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do folks think about coyotes being gunned at beyond admitted abilities, simply because they're coyotes?

I've come across several people over the years who seemingly have a conscious limit to shots they'll take on deer or elk, but wail away at coyotes without any regard to their shooting ability, simply because it is 'just a coyote'.

Taking a 1000 yard shot by just aiming 10 feet high is a surefire way to educate a coyote, but that is a different discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good afternoon my cyber friend, I trust you had a good Christmas wherever you spent it and that you're well.

While I'm loath and somewhat ashamed to admit it T, I would have been in the camp of folks shooting too far at coyotes, simply because they were coyotes and I wanted them gone.

In the late '80's when we started hunting coyotes to sell the hides to a local trapper, I amended my ways because I wanted to retrieve it and emphatically didn't want to educate them.

As you mention, we could have another discussion on educating coyotes for sure. wink

Nowadays I might stretch my shots a wee bit further with a coyote, but part of the rationale there is that a peripheral hit with a .223" varmint bullet - 60gr HP in a .223 and 55gr Ballistic Tip in an old school 1:14 .22-.250AI - will be fatal, usually instantly fatal from what we've seen.

We can sometimes give away coyote hides here, depending on condition, but both because I've changed my perspective as I've aged and no, I do not want to educate them, personally I don't shoot at a dog unless I'm sure I can kill it.

Happy New Year to you, I hope that next year is better and all ways for you and as always, the coffee is on for you if you ever wander past.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
Sometimes you hunt areas where you could be shooting 50 yards or 450 and never know where the game will show up, if your not shooting 500+ not much use to dial. Oh BTW while your showing targets.
3 shots at 750 yards, shot prone off a bipod
https://imgur.com/x7as2zg
It ain't hard
And also it's not guessing, +3" at 100 with most modern cartridges =
100 yards, hold lower shoulder,
200 yards hold mid shoulder,
300 yards hold upper shoulder
400 yards hold on hairline

Run the numbers and prove me wrong

It's always better to dial or use a good reticle. If you feel comfortable guessing your imaginary hold overs, more power to you. People like you are probably part of the reason this thread exists. Just a thought. I always like to be sure of the shot I'm going to take. You also shouldn't be aiming at the "deer shoulder" at 400 yards. You are just digging yourself deeper, with stupid remarks. Again, if you are the guy shooting 6-7" groups at 100 yards, you have no business at all trying to poke them further out.

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.