Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Call me a crumudgeon but I favor the classics. I think my most modern/newest caliber is a Cooper Varmint Extreme in 25WSSM. The smartest thing I did when I bought the rifle was to buy 1000 Winchester cases.
Gun companies continue to re invent the wheel in order to attract new shooters or to entice current shooters to try the newest and latest cartridge. No thanks, the Grendel I'll stick with my 250 Savage, the 300 WSM is just the 300 H&H reconfigured in my opinion and I'll keep my H&H thank you. The 6.5 Creedmore can't do anything that my 6.5X55 can't do. A couple of other oldies but goodies I favor are the 300 Savage and the 38-55 both of my rifles are custom builds on single shot actions. I won't be selling my 257 Roberts, 405 Win, 7X57's or the 358 Win any time soon.
It's not broke so I'm not going tp try to fix it and I have enough componets to keep me and my classics on the range and in the field fo a very long time.

Here we have a #5.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New stuff for me.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like/appreciate old walnut blued steel rifles and they are chambered in older cartridges. Which is also my preference.

The gun means more to me than the cartridge.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spent most of my rifle shooting life with 22-250, 25-06, 270 & 30-06 & was served well.

But even though I'm a boomer, I don't stay in the box. I appreciate a good case design when I see it, & will use it if I see the need. This years new build was a fast twist 6mm Creedmoor, but everyday truck gun is a factory 243.

I have my own judgmental procedure's based on mostly mechanics & what I need rather than fads.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Call me a crumudgeon but I favor the classics. I think my most modern/newest caliber is a Cooper Varmint Extreme in 25WSSM. The smartest thing I did when I bought the rifle was to buy 1000 Winchester cases.
Gun companies continue to re invent the wheel in order to attract new shooters or to entice current shooters to try the newest and latest cartridge. No thanks, the Grendel I'll stick with my 250 Savage, the 300 WSM is just the 300 H&H reconfigured in my opinion and I'll keep my H&H thank you. The 6.5 Creedmore can't do anything that my 6.5X55 can't do. A couple of other oldies but goodies I favor are the 300 Savage and the 38-55 both of my rifles are custom builds on single shot actions.
It's not broke so I'm not going tp try to fix it and I have enough componets to keep me and my classics on the range and in the field fo a very long time.

It can, and it does. Maybe not for you, but yes for a large part of the market.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that 300 Savage of yours is extremely nice. Even though it's old, I find the 300 Savage to be a modernized cartridge. 30 degree shoulder, little body taper, size optimized to take advantage of new (at the time) propellants to approximate the ballistics of an older, larger cartridge. One of my favorite rifles is my 700 Classic so chambered.

Do tell what it does the Swede cannot.

The way life should be.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can color me 'old school', for the most part.

I have a 300 Blackout - the newest production that I use, but I only shoot cast bullets.

Next would be 1962 7mm Rem Mag

EVERY 45-70 round that I have ever shot was Paper Patched

Oldest 50 Maynard

And this one still under 'development' the 22GTC..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluefish
Gun companies continue to re invent the wheel in order to attract new shooters or to entice current shooters to try the newest and latest cartridge. No thanks, the Grendel I'll stick with my 250 Savage, the 300 WSM is just the 300 H&H reconfigured in my opinion and I'll keep my H&H thank you. The 6.5 Creedmore can't do anything that my 6.5X55 can't do. A couple of other oldies but goodies I favor are the 300 Savage and the 38-55 both of my rifles are custom builds on single shot actions.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that 300 Savage of yours is extremely nice. Even though it's old, I find the 300 Savage to be a modernized cartridge. 30 degree shoulder, little body taper, size optimized to take advantage of new (at the time) propellants to approximate the ballistics of an older, larger cartridge. One of my favorite rifles is my 700 Classic so chambered.

Looks like we have another 5 here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have need for the new toys, but have toyed with a few wildcats.

I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by MAC
I will stick with the 308 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55 Swede, 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. Never found them lacking and they are all over 50 years old with the 7mm being the youngster at 51.

61 actually... a year younger than me.

I like things that work. Belts are useless, but no big deal to workaround either. From the ground up, a lot of "modernized" cartridges are just right from the starting gate. How is that a bad thing?

30* shoulders, minimum taper, beltless, twisted correctly from the factory - the CM's and PRC's are at the top of the new heap, and for the sure the 6.5CM is here to stay.

After reading through this thread I'm realizing it may be the older rifle action designs I like more than the latest cartridges. I also realized that my old 8x68s checks all of the boxes Brad lists above which is impressive for a 1939 design. Pairs up nicely with its 98 C-ring Mauser action. Unfortunately it appears most of the good RWS brass was gobbled up for reforming into .300 PRC brass when it first arrived on the scene.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by MAC
I will stick with the 308 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x55 Swede, 9.3x62 and 375 H&H. Never found them lacking and they are all over 50 years old with the 7mm being the youngster at 51.

I like things that work. Belts are useless, but no big deal to workaround either. From the ground up, a lot of "modernized" cartridges are just right from the starting gate. How is that a bad thing?

30* shoulders, minimum taper, beltless, twisted correctly from the factory - the CM's and PRC's are at the top of the new heap, and for the sure the 6.5CM is here to stay.

After reading through this thread I'm realizing it may be the older rifle action designs I like more than the latest cartridges. I also realized that my old 8x68s checks all of the boxes Brad lists above which is impressive for a 1939 design. Pairs up nicely with its 98 C-ring Mauser action. Unfortunately it appears most of the good RWS brass was gobbled up for reforming to .300 PRC brass when it first arrived on the scene.

The 6.5 Schuler (sp) always seemed like a ripper as well. Cool case design.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by MAC

After reading through this thread I'm realizing it may be the older rifle action designs I like more than the latest cartridges. I also realized that my old 8x68s checks all of the boxes Brad lists above which is impressive for a 1939 design. Pairs up nicely with its 98 C-ring Mauser action. Unfortunately it appears most of the good RWS brass was gobbled up for reforming to .300 PRC brass when it first arrived on the scene.

The 6.5 Schuler (sp) always seemed like a ripper as well. Cool case design.

That one was way ahead of its time as well. Darn Germans...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MAC

I always say about the ones that say only the old are needed or good, I guess you still ride a horse and don't own a vehicle either....

Anyway long as it works its good. if it works better its a plus. if you need or want a new one super. if you don't then don't. pretty easy.

of course I always wonder if you can truly claim to be a gun nut if you don't buy a new one to the stable fairly often.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=Brad][quote=MAC]
I always wonder if you can truly claim to be a gun nut if you don't buy a new one to the stable fairly often.
Of course you can and it doesn't have to be the latest commercial whiz bang cartridge. My newest rifles are
A custom 250 Savage built on a Kurz Mauser action, Dakota M 10 6.5X55, Two Browning N78's a 25-06 and a 6MM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nothing against the new fangled cartridges. They really won’t do anything the old fangled cartridges will do. Of recent I’ve acquired a 22 K hornet, a .222, and a 220 swift. I did have a 270 WSM, great cartridge but I have a 7Rem mag and 257 wby, so sold the 270wsm.

NRA Patron
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the old standby cartridges, like the new ones too. I have a Creed, fun to shoot, 300 and 270 WSM’s seem like recoil is less to me for the performance they bring to the table. Anything that goes bang is a good thing, because it means you are off your ass and outside.

I’ve had a couple of wildcats, .333 OKH Belted and a 6.5-06. I still have the 6.5, not a wildcat anymore. It is fun to shoot, a little more velocity than a Creed. I wish the hell I’d kept the .333, built by Charlie O’Neil on a 1917.

Last edited by hanco; 12/25/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by dale06
Nothing against the new fangled cartridges. They really won’t do anything the old fangled cartridges will do. Of recent I’ve acquired a 22 K hornet, a .222, and a 220 swift. I did have a 270 WSM, great cartridge but I have a 7Rem mag and 257 wby, so sold the 270wsm.

These discussions are always interesting--but have taken quite a bit of big game with the .270 WSM and have yet to see any meaningful difference in either "killing power" or trajectory out to 450-500 yards between it and the standard .270 Winchester. (Might also make the same comment about the .257 Weatherby and 7mm Remington Magnum. Have seen both used on a variety of big game up to 6x6 elk, which all died promptly....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
These deer, did they die well, truly satisfied with their ends? Were any disgusted that a newer cartridge had done the deed? Or perhaps they were blissfully ignorant of what hit them!

Were they older animals, mortified that a newer cartridge with no provenance had been used? Or perhaps they were younger, pleased that no 30-06 or 270 Winchester was responsible!

"I were taken by a Creedmoor! No antediluvian conk for me!" Is there a generational divide among deer?

Is there a deer heaven where whitetails talk about the good old days?

"I went on opening day, taken by a 30-30! No Wizzums back then! A deer knew that he was going to be fairly and squarely shot, not taken by some new fangled, metric cartridge or a youngster wearing camo!"

The other deer would silently nod their heads in agreement.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 6.5 Creedmore can't do anything that my 6.5X55 can't do.
Originally Posted by bluefish

The only thing I could think of that a 6.5CM can do is you can run it through an AR-10 or another semi-auto like the Springfield Armory M1A because of its shorter length. But I imagine that this is not done by a large number of shooters. Most are probably using bolt actions and on that platform, the differences between the two cartridges might not be as pronounced depending on what you're using it for. I'm a big fan of hunting with my 6.5x55 Ruger No. 1A (I've put two deer in the freezer with it this season). I don't own a 6.5CM or do any rigorous long distance / target shooting that might benefit from this newer cartridge so maybe there is an improvement in an area that I haven't explored. But I think with handloading, either round could be tweaked to come close to the performance of the other. As a hunter, I think most of the game that I go after would dislike being shot by either cartridge.

But I have enjoyed watching the debate around the 6.5CM. I find it interesting the level of derision & irritation thrown at the 6.5CM when it appears to me that the designers did a pretty good job of creating the round they were striving for. A lot of the criticism towards it often has terms like "gay", "over-hyped", "man bun", etc. but no compelling technical reasons why it is a bad or inferior cartridge. It seems to evoke a lot of emotions but not much in the way of quantifiable shortcomings. To the contrary, it appears to often work well using factory ammo in affordable rifles. I have some rounds that I favor but I can't think of any that I don't own whose mere existence actually annoys me.

One other cartridge comparison that I found interesting lately is the 375 H&H vs the 375 Ruger. Again it appears that the designers did a pretty good job of reproducing the characteristics of the classic in a newer & shorter design. But the 375 H&H has an almost cult-like reverence & following to it that precludes a competitor from sacrilegiously knocking it off its throne. The main argument I've seen in favor of the 375 H&H is the availability of ammo in remote locations. Because I love a classic, I wound up buying a LH Winchester M70 in 375 H&H instead of the more readily available and affordable LH M77 in 375 Ruger. I'm still tempted to get one of the shorter stainless Guide Guns simply because they're so affordable & it would be fun to shoot. The modern alternative did intrigue.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always say about the ones that say only the old are needed or good, I guess you still ride a horse and don't own a vehicle either....

Anyway long as it works its good. if it works better its a plus. if you need or want a new one super. if you don't then don't. pretty easy.

of course I always wonder if you can truly claim to be a gun nut if you don't buy a new one to the stable fairly often.

Poor analogy. The difference between a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 270 Winchester is comparable to a Ford F250 and a Chevrolet 2500. The difference is only measured by a marginal improvement of a Creedmoor to fit into an AR platform.

No arguing the 6.5 Creedmoor does what it is designed to do, but the vast majority of its followers don’t use it for the purpose it was designed…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Poor analogy. The difference between a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 270 Winchester is comparable to a Ford F250 and a Chevrolet 2500. The difference is only measured by a marginal improvement of a Creedmoor to fit into an AR platform.

No arguing the 6.5 Creedmoor does what it is designed to do, but the vast majority of its followers don’t use it for the purpose it was designed…

Couldn't you also say that the vast majority of people who shoot any cartridge that was originally designed for a military application aren't using them for the purpose that they were designed?

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,801
Posts18,516,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.