Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like my bubba buddies. I really like the name bubba buddy, I think Ingwe coined the term.

They work for me, i appreciate they may not work for others. I have even started making my own out of bits of leather from various African animals.

The question of need always comes up in these conversations, that need as in all things in free country should be determined by the individual who is spending the fruits of their labours.

I have found need on rare occasions to have those extra rounds close at hand. I also like using the bubba buddy with some closed cell foam to add some height to a cheek piece when needed.

To each their own. May your 2024 involve lots of shooting hunting and good times.

Last edited by GRF; 12/28/23.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
You make a great point 260.

It's good to offer a counter, in a respectful way.

One of the biggest things I've learned from the 'Fire, and find most interesting,
is how different things are.

Including results with similar items.

You and I posted differing opinions in the 6.5x55 thread.
My results with 140gr bullets were not good. Downright bad.
120s are the cat's meow. For us.

You like 140s or 160s. Getting results you like, obviously.

I've read of guys shooting Sierra 165 BTHPs out of 300 mags and loving them.
Pass through, say it's a tough bullet. Recommend it for elk.

I've killed numerous deer with that bullet from a 20" 308.
And it's been the most dramatic thing I've ever killed deer with.
Including early BTs out of 7mm and 300 mags.

Double fist exits, often seeing a cloud of hair and gore.
Like the instant kills, hate losing front ends.
Gave up on it.

Here is where so many go off the rails.

I have no way of knowing why others have different results.
Shot placement is a big thing, but not how most wanna argue.
It's not necessarily about ability, like they like to puff up and claim.
Shooting shoulders, ribs, nervous system...rear end?
Same gun, load, different placement, can have much different results.

It's educational to try to understand why others have different results,
instead of claiming my experience is somehow more valid and implying
someone else is lying, or just stupid. I bet there will be numerous guys never
get this far down, they will be searching the mentioned thread, expecting to
find where we were duking it out!

I would shoot lighter/shorter component bullets in my 6.5x55s, but they all have long throats that don't sync well with shorter bullets. I really like the 130 grain ABs in the 6.5 CM, 256 Newton, 260 REM, and 6.5-284, but none of them was throated to accommodate the long 156/160 grain bullets that were commonly used in the 6.5x55. I shot most of my plains game in Botswana with 156 grain Norma factory loads, the load recommend by my outfitter 'cause he felt that it was effective and it was the only factory loaded heavy bullet for the 6.5x55 that was regularly available both here and there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got 1 box of Herters 160gr RN I’d like to try. But it’s kinda dumb to. If I shoot 30, that leaves enough to hunt and zero a few years at best. Then where in the heck do you buy more. Been pondering it, they were probably made with Swede performance in mind. Unlike some that were made thinking more toward 264.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't care for the cartridge keepers on the stock, seems like the most inconvenient place to carry them and changes the balance, but I've worn or carried a belt slide for years. I have a Dick Murray for .300WM and .375 H&H and another similar to the link for .308 sized cartridges. It either goes on the belt or in my pocket.

Leather Belt Cartridge Slide

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As it has been suggested, it's an individual thing. In choosing to read a thread like this it's usually because of an interest in the subject - not to argue and debate, but because we may pick up on something that's helpful and practical. I shoot quite a few big game single-shot rifles and I've tried various procedures for loading a second round if ever needed - rarely ever needed except in paying the insurance. But I now use buttstock cartridge holders, but never full. 2 to 4 is ever loaded plus one in the chamber. Then I may have 3 or 4 more in a jacket pocket. The secret - if it can be called that- to using a single-shot rifle is making the first shot count! Then, like in everything else, practice using a cartridge holder on the stock (or in a belt - I have that also) until it becomes second nature!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/31/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If I'm going to carry something I don't particularily like - and I do that sometimes - on the butt of a rifle, I just cut down the factory plastic shell holders and tape them on, fill them with cartridges (4-5, depending on the rifle), and run a bit of electrical tape over those for secure retention, leaving a tab end for quick removal. It's cheap and ugly too..... smile

The only maybe downside other than weight/config changes, is tape residue on stock and sometimes cartridges, but that's not a problem for me - probably will be for some with more anal tendancies, using "nice" guns. Never found the tape residue on the cartridges, if any, to cause a problem when firing.

Pretty seldom I ever have to take any off the butt to actually shoot. I can recall twice in 50+ years....and going to pocket or pack once other. Recharging the magazine after the game is down, or removal once the trip is over is about it. If I was really into it, I would prefer a closed device to keep cartridges moisture and debris free, with positive retention. I've lost more live cartridges from elastic or leather shell holders on the butt, than I have ever fetched & fired in the field. Phooey on that.

I've often thought that a recessed "patch-box" in the stock with positive catch sliding or hinged cover, holding several cartridges would be a good thing. Dunno if there would be a market for it. Or how much it would affect stock integrity. Probably be OK on composition molded or laid up stocks I would think.

Last edited by las; 01/02/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
las: check out the Brockman Cartridge Trap. It might be similar to what you mentioned above

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My truck gun is a 223 Kimber Montana and I have one of those elastic shell holders on it. The thought is that when I need the gun it is usually for an unforeseen event/target of opportunity and I do not want to be digging into a box of ammo to go with the rifle, I just want to grab the rifle with ammo attached and can load the rifle while moving on/to the target.

Of course when I have the AR15 in the truck a loaded magazine beside the rifle give me the same easy access to ammo when grabbing the rifle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a rifle with a trap door in the but plate. It will hold 3 rounds the rifle holds 4. The first shot determines everything

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 1800topsoil, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.