Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Originally Posted by beretzs
This not criticism, an honest question
You guys doing this long range shooting go and collect what you harvest ?
Just heads , or meat and all ?
Guided hunts ?
Asking that because I’m wondering about retrieving method ?
Thanks , Kenneth

Why would the retrieval be any different at 600 yards vs 100 yards, other than the obvious part of having to walk a little closer to begin processing?

As for us, I don't think of myself or my hunting partners as LR hunters, I'd always rather shoot an animal as close as possible, but typically we're hunting public ground elk/deer, so you raise your odds quite alot if you can take advantage of a little extra distance.

I have absolutely no knowledge of killing anything the size of an elk or anything bigger than a deer or 150-200 lb black bear
I do know that a long drag on a deer can be a butt whipper , so was wondering how the Elk or whatever was generally retrieved .
Was wondering if most retrieved just the cape or if all meat was retrieved?
And I guess it would go without saying , retrieving would likely depend a lot on terrain
Kenneth

Break em down and pack em out. This elk at 525 yards. Chip shot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cartridge, rifle, knives? Need specifics. Liking it. Good job!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by chamois
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
WTF is there a bunch of guys who have never killed anything beyond 400 yards even on here posting? They do not have a grasp on ballistics, on long range hunting methods, nothing, but they know way more than anyone else. My suggestion is go to www.longrangehunting.com and explain why 400 yards is the maximum range anyone should shoot game. I have not spent 40 years and 40 grand to get good at what I do to listen to a bunch of whiners tell me why
i am wrong because I do something they don t know how to do . Why do they all of a sudden act like Biden voters because someone does what they can't and is successful at it?

You are being just as intolerant as those who think you are wrong.
Moreover, you don´t seem to understand that others may prefer the challenge of putting a stalk at an animal than the challenge of killing it from the opposite mountain, and that it is their personal choice and not because they have not developed the ability or geared up themselves for such a thing.
I guess you are just asking for a little respect.

PS: tha analogy to Biden voters I simply don't get.
There is a difference between having a personal preference, and imposing it on others. That seems to be the issue here. You don’t see LR hunters telling the close-range guys they are doing it wrong if they don’t shoot long, but you certainly see the castigation going the other direction.

I wish what you said is true, it's not.

May I ask your rational?
Jordan is spot on in my mind, as per his usual.

As an aside, I personally am not much of a long range guy…only killed a handful of critters past 400 and none past 600.

What I have read on this thread and another similar thread is LR shooters bashing hunters who prefer not too.

Maybe not Jordan, but the statement he made is not correct.

I have taken some game at long distances, I never lost a animal, but have been humbled and dedicated myself for awhile to become more proficient and have better tools for the job.

The reality to me there is few game animals that may actually REQUIRE a shot at extended ranges.
Sheep would be one of them, IMHO.

I have taken one Dall and had hoped for another, alas life and age has interfered. I would like to think I could pull off another sheep hunt w/o getting dropped off on top with a cub.

I wouldn't call that cheating as it's still a tough hunt.

The bottom line is, if yer confident and capable, then go. But dont encourage un-acomplished hunters that it's the only way, and don't bash other hunters because of how they prefer to hunt.

And bragging just identifies the A holes

Its a fact that a shot that is off at 800 yards is probably still a kill shot at 200. And its damn exciting to take a moose as 30 yards after stalking for hours.

Just what in the hell is hunting all about?
I would rather stalk and get close than shoot from so far away I lose all connection with the animal.

May as well shoot steel. at least you can hear it ring.

Pulling the trigger is the easy part.

I appreciate the response but I will have to respectfully disagree. It just hasn’t been my experience that long range hunters here or elsewhere bash the strictly short range hunters though as SKane mentioned, there is one poster here who can seem to come off that way.

Ridiculing those who are ‘not able to, so they don’t’ (kill at long range, that is) isn’t the same thing as shooters bashing hunters who prefer not to, if that was your argument.

Maybe it is just the one azzhat that is making me categorically say what I said.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Karen dudettes will bleat like azz fkd sheep and be happy with glee

But the moment someone stands up and says something in defense

These Karen dudettes will shriek like cu nts & bleed all over the place in a hysterical hissy fit

Then claim "the other guy started it" innocently

Such is my experience on the 24 Hr Cu ntfire with these twats

If you can't shoot worth a fk beyond a couple hundred steps, STFU and stay in the retard lane where you belong .

. period ...... that means you ... you bloody cu nt

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Maybe Rick should start a new forum titled "Short Range Hunting"

Then the children could choose their sandbox to play in...

I thought everything except "Long Range Hunting" were the short range hunting forums. The ability to place bullets on target with repeatable precision at any range that still results in sufficient bullet upset and expansion is a skill worthy of pursuing. If we're talking about shooting game so far out where recovery is difficult, or where the bullets no longer expand to quickly drop game then I think we've lost something.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The best shots are made at the keyboard !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
By title, and thread heading, "this is the long range hunting forum", not "the long range target shooting forum".

Question?

What animals are you killing at long range?

How many times a year do you hunt long range?

How many animals do you take at long range annually?

Thanx in advance,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by geedubya
By title, and thread heading, "this is the long range hunting forum", not "the long range target shooting forum".

Question?

What animals are you killing at long range?

How many times a year do you hunt long range?

How many animals do you take at long range annually?

Thanx in advance,

GWB

Groundhogs and the occasional coyote, which I doubt they have very many of in WV. Guranteed a paper puncher. Come out west if you want to play the long range HUNTING game. Not from your back porch shooting paper targets game.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

We pack em off piece by piece.

This is a good example of long range hunting and what happens afterwards. If I recall these elk were killed somewhere in the 600 yard mark. Then, you have to get to them. Then, you have to work your azz off getting them back to the truck. Then, you process it for your family. That's a good example of full circle long range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SwampLadyBoi
The Karen dudettes will bleat like azz fkd sheep and be happy with glee

But the moment someone stands up and says something in defense

These Karen dudettes will shriek like cu nts & bleed all over the place in a hysterical hissy fit

Then claim "the other guy started it" innocently

Such is my experience on the 24 Hr Cu ntfire with these twats

If you can't shoot worth a fk beyond a couple hundred steps, STFU and stay in the retard lane where you belong .

. period ...... that means you ... you bloody cu nt

For a girl who has so little LR shooting experience you sure run that suck a lot.

Maybe post less and take more notes?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Groundhogs and the occasional coyote, which I doubt they have very many of in WV.

Nah, no coyote problems in WV, or anywhere else in the east.......

Since coyotes have thrived among West Virginia wildlife, livestock producers must maintain coyote management practices throughout the year. Much of the coyote's livestock depredation occurs from late spring through September when coyotes are raising pups. ~~ West Virginia University Extension

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Azzhat has spoken, hanging on my every word, funny as f uck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
maybe if you stepped outside of the '06 & H&H love box, you'd see a lot further

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trolling, and hanging on my every word...lol

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Reminds me of the stone throwing that goes on over bear hunting. Bait, hounds, spot and stalk. Each think their method is best and the other isn’t ethical. Keep in mind this [bleep] is an anti hunters wet dream. Infighting makes us weak. If you want to shoot something at a mile and employ the gear,skill and time to do it, good on you. Same as if you want to kill and elk with a big [bleep] spear from a tree. If it’s legal go for it. I support whatever legal and ethical means you enjoy just support me as a fair shake.

Last edited by brinky72; 12/30/23.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That just stoops to the level that you’re complaining about. I’ve shot hundreds of deer for crop damage in the late eighties with my dad and uncles at distance. I had my 300 Win mag zeroed at 450 yards simply because across a 40 acre field was as close as we could get. We all did. I used a 30-06 for regular deer season where shots would be closer in the woods. Back then no one heard of range finders or turrets. You knew your distance, where your zero was and where you hit in between. Also knew how to use your duplex. I also track and still hunt. I’ve crept up on Deer in their beds and shot where they lye. And yes with irons on my 35 Whelen. Both styles take commitment and skill and neither is easy.

Last edited by brinky72; 12/30/23.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Groundhogs and the occasional coyote, which I doubt they have very many of in WV.

Nah, no coyote problems in WV, or anywhere else in the east.......

Since coyotes have thrived among West Virginia wildlife, livestock producers must maintain coyote management practices throughout the year. Much of the coyote's livestock depredation occurs from late spring through September when coyotes are raising pups. ~~ West Virginia University Extension
Right, this happens most of the time if you stroke a turkey call in hardy county wv.
https://imgur.com/a/EucACd7

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
This not criticism, an honest question
You guys doing this long range shooting go and collect what you harvest ?
Just heads , or meat and all ?
Guided hunts ?
Asking that because I’m wondering about retrieving method ?
Thanks , Kenneth

It usually involves a headlamp, a good knife, and work.
Sometimes you can drive right up to them and toss the quarters in the bed of your truck. Public land in the rockies, your there man. Side note, have some help if you shoot an elk lol. Especially if your a ways back in.

Yall have literally no idea about vast numbers of coyotes. And I guarantee you don't shoot them at extended long ranges there on a regular basis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yall have literally no idea about vast numbers of coyotes. And I guarantee you don't shoot them at extended long ranges there on a regular basis.

I'm for one glad you don't know a f-ucking thing about what goes on in the Appalachia range, and it would be best if you just stayed ignorant of it. One less dumb ass outsider to contend with around here.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Calm down. You can keep on contending with your Appalachia friends. I understand there are coyotes all over North America. You may have quite a few, but can you actually see them? Out here we can see for miles in every direction and I actually see coyotes on a daily basis. We shoot them year round. Never really have the need for long range on them, but the shots are occasionally long. Long range hunting appeals to game, the pursuit of game in a calculated manner. Placing a shot from afar sometimes makes the situation less complicated. Shooting a dang coyote or whatever isn't necessarily long range hunting, that's shooting and not giving a schit. If you connect, it's a bonus. Long range hunting applies to cervids, sheep, bears, ect., where the animal is taken for food and lethal kills shots can happen. Whether it's ethical or not, is entirely up to those who want to judge. I think people give LR hunting a bad wrap because Joe Blow and his creedmore with a bore sighted phillipino scope with a turret are taking shots based on the trajectory chart on the back of the ammo box. They have no clue where the bullet is gonna impact. The boys packing stuff back to the truck who actually practice with their rigs and aren't afraid to scratch them are the ones who are hunters not shooters. Each to their own. Good luck on your varmints, but that's bot long range hunting man, that's shooting varmints. Just as it would me sitting on a prairie dog down.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.